AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, Germany, Austria, South Africa
Good morning.

I am considering a pair of Courteney Selous boots from Westley Richards. I understand it comes in UK size for length. I usually wear 10.5 ~ 11 D in US size, depending on the make so I figure I will order 10 UK per WR size conversion table. WR website states "wide feet at toe", however, it doesn't specify how wide is "wide", specifically for size 10 UK size boots. I inquired about the width to both Courteney and Westley Richards but I have not heard back from them yet.

What have been your experiences with Courteney boot fit, width wise at toe box?

Regards,

Last edited:
This is jim from African Sporting Creations. We stock both wide and regular width Courteney boots. It sounds like you would need the regular width boots and we stock 4 different styles and our site is www.africansc.com. If you are unsure of size we can send 2 sizes and you would simply return the extra pair.

Buy through ASC. If it's your first pair, you'll inevitably want to try a few different sizes for comparison. It took me a couple tries to get it right, but ASC was super easy to work with on the shipping and return process. Buy some shooting sticks too if you don't already own them. They'll take care of you.

Jim has been great to work with in the past. Honest and fair!

My "wide" were wide for sure. Even American size EE can be snug for me, but my Courtney's were almost on the verge of being too wide.

I agree on the width, the great part is that extra width allows for a high quality insole to be used. I use SuperFeet which have additional arch support making these even more comfortable for long hikes etc.

Go with ASC. Jim will work with you to make sure you have the right fit. I love my Courtney’s. I now have 6 pair from ASC.

Jim helped me out when I bought my first pair. I don't love Courtney's many do, but he went out of his way to get me in the best fitting pair.

+5 on working with Jim. I bought two pairs from him and they were great to deal with. It was really helpful to try on more than one pair. And you may need to sneak in a knife to that order!

Thank you all for your feedback.

Regards,

I believe i have a wide foot. I found my first pair snug and the second pair generous in fit.
They are handmade and great if you have the right fit.
If you can deal with Jim that would be worth a shot there are nothing but good reports on his business here. Well it's in the wrong country but they all commend the customer service and no doubt another member will chime in with good feedback

I have been in contact direct previously and they advised they can do a bigger (higher) toe box on a different shoe last (form).

I have a pair ordered direct but they are grounded due to freight.

I'm hoping that is sorted one day as they were made to my requirements.

The pair I said were generous in fit were the ordered same size as my first but they were a better fit for my son so, I hope that oneday the 3rd pair can be shipped.

Classic case of "Don't overthink it". (amhik).
If you normally wear a D, the regular width is the way to go.

They run wide.

Thanks again for your feedback.

The following is an email response I received from The Courteney Boot Company:

“The EE boot is the boot that made us famous. It has a generous toe box for maximum comfort. The narrow D is for feet that are definitely narrow, and we use the same last for ladies.”

And Westley Richards also responded as well. Their showroom manager provided a link to the Courteney website showing info re: actual measurement differences in each 1/2 size.

“Half sizes: Although many, if not most, footwear manufacturers only give you the extra half size in the joint measurement (girth) in order to save on mould costs, Courteney half sizes are genuine – our lasts increase by 1/4” in girth and 1/6” in length between each full and half size.”

I wonder in what universe "D" is narrow. If I wear D width shoes, I might just as well be wearing flip flops or sandals

I wonder in what universe "D" is narrow. If I wear D width shoes, I might just as well be wearing flip flops or sandals
sgt_zim, I think it was meant to be relatively narrower than their wide shoes.

Both Courteney and WR were kind enough to take their time to respond to my inquiry. I posted their responses here as references since they were helpful for me.

Regards,

We get several calls a week from folks who bought without trying them on and want to swap out for a pair that actually fits.

I cannot wear a D. Way to narrow. So yea, in my Universe "D" is narrow.;)

I wear a 10E. The Selous fits me perfectly for width. The std Courteney’s are much too wide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithcaterine92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg