Couple of things

I've never had to rezero a rifle when using a Tuffpak.

All good advise. All I have to add is I used Pelican gun cases for many years on many trips. You'd be hard pressed to find a better case. Just take your 300 with top quality ammo such as Barnes ttsx or swift a frame, and go have a blast.

Never meant you would have to with a tuff pack. After looking them over I just have concerns yet others like them. To each their own. More than one way to get to the same point.

you gents are the best...........
Thanks for everything. I will only take the 300wm and pack extras into the rifle case, a SKB.
Has anyone done any fishing or wing shooting while in Africa.
Again thanks

Hello breathandsqueeze,

My very first time to Africa, was to Namibia (13 or 14 years ago).
As I recall, my belongings were booked all the way through, from Atlanta to Windhoek, with stops in Capetown (fuel / passengers) and then Johannesburg as well (off the big plane and onward in a smaller one to Namibia).
In the Windhoek Airport, a Police Officer examined my rifle and ammunition, then after deciding all was in order - issued to me a "temporary import / export permit" for same.
He definitely made note of my rifle's serial number and caliber indicated on the barrel plus, he looked at all 3 of my Federal brand factory packets / boxes, indicating .300 H&H caliber - blah, blah, blah.
Plus, he opened one of same, pulled out a single cartridge and compared the head stamp to the wording on my rifle barrel, of course, both indicating ".300 H&H Magnum"
It was not until about 2 weeks later in camp that, while packing up my things for the journey home, I noticed my permit indicated ".300 Win Mag".

After much worrying and with the same color ink, I carefully printed H&H over the "Win" part and darkened some other things the Officer had used his pen on for my permit, in hopes that my over-writing would not stand out from the rest too much.
Upon exiting Namibia, a different Officer half heartedly looked over my rifle and such then, stamped my permit acceptable and away I went.
I was sweating like a politician on election night as we approached the airport on that last day but, my concerns were happily not warranted.

Not sure how your PH would've received the idea of a center fire .22, wild cat or otherwise, for use on small antelope.
May have been received well by this or that PH and perhaps not so well by others.
Some locations have caliber restrictions as well, regardless of how an individual PH may feel about it.
Your are probably doing right by not bringing yours.
I presume yours is ballistically comparable to the .220 Swift ?
Therefore, I will bet it'd be an excellent one for everything up to and including coyotes, here in N. America (especially coyotes).
I have owned 3 rifles in .220 Swift and IMO, it is the bee's knees on coyotes and such.
Not sure if I might get another one someday but if I did, it would be a dandy to hunt baboon and jackal with, IMO.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

@Velo Dog i learned a valuable pointer from a seasoned pro that may help.

Oh your customs 4457, it asks for caliber. Answer truthfully, e.g. .300

On your other gun forms also answer same: .300

It prevents problems like suffixes from being an issue.

I did just this as I had a .500 nitro for black rifle. Brass stamps said .500 express or .500 nitro. Naturally concerned an imbecile would argue splitting hairs, vague generality made for a painless entry and exit. I said I had a 500 caliber, I did, easy goes it.

I did just this as I had a .500 nitro for black rifle. Brass stamps said .500 express or .500 nitro. Naturally concerned an imbecile would argue splitting hairs, vague generality made for a painless entry and exit. I said I had a 500 caliber, I did, easy goes it.
Never would have thought of that, but obviously a good suggestion for a first timer like myself headed to S.A. this summer!

Thanks rookhawk,

That is a very good idea.

If I ever decide to bring another .300 H&H over seas, I definitely will remember such a "trick" and only write the number.
It is so simple that it is brilliant.

That first Airport Cop who observed "H&H" on my three ammunition boxes, and my rifle barrel plus the base of one cartridge, nonetheless wrote the abbreviation, "Win" anyway.

My luck, I'd get the same "Barney Fife" type again next time and he would not rest until he added some sort of error to my paper work.
Sometimes, my luck seems to be based on Murphy's Law - LOL.

Therefore these days, as fond as I am of my own rifles, I'm no longer interested in the hassles / added stress of traveling through other countries with same.
So, along with the usual important questions, I plan to always ask what description of rifles (and specific ammunition) is available for rent, before I decide whom to book with.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

As you well know, "most" cops are not gun people. I have known many through my years that would not have even carried a gun of any type if it had not been a policy or regulation to do so. But I must add that rookhawk has delivered another biggie to our members knowledge, (at least I didn't know). Whether we ever use that knowledge for our own benefit is another question/issue). With the postings of you, rookhawk, RedLeg and a few others, I'm going to have to buy another bookcase to keep my notes in!!! Yes, I still hand write them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColinR

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.