Counterfeit Land Rovers: Who knew?????

Depends on what you want. Diesel and Torques are better than HP and Gas for getting through stuff. Do you want it because it's "Cool or Vogue", or are you actually going to use it?

If you can't find/afford an old landy, look at early body styles you like. Cummins id making a drop in engine, with ancillaries that looks promising for around $12K.

Maybe cheaper than paying for someone else's project.

Not sure what you are on about....why would anyone want to drive around day to day in an old land-rover even with an engine conversion when modern vehicles are available and can "be used"....nothing to do with cool or being in vogue....who wants to be in a cramped, noisy uncomfortable vehicle?...I understand @Kevin Peacocke and others who like to have them for fun and use them in certain situations...but thats about it.....my cruiser double cab is like a luxury vehicle compared to them....

Not sure what you are on about....why would anyone want to drive around day to day in an old land-rover even with an engine conversion when modern vehicles are available and can "be used"....nothing to do with cool or being in vogue....who wants to be in a cramped, noisy uncomfortable vehicle?...I understand @Kevin Peacocke and others who like to have them for fun and use them in certain situations...but thats about it.....my cruiser double cab is like a luxury vehicle compared to them....
It is all about the sniff. I have a supremely comfortable leather seated, air conditioned Land Cruiser, beautiful, reliable, and probably the pinnacle. But all I sniff in there is leather, however in Carruthers I sniff life!
So i gave the cruiser to my wife and seldom drive it.

It is all about the sniff. I have a supremely comfortable leather seated, air conditioned Land Cruiser, beautiful, reliable, and probably the pinnacle. But all I sniff in there is leather, however in Carruthers I sniff life!
So i gave the cruiser to my wife and seldom drive it.

Yeah....mine isn't exactly clad in leather though....and got some good sniffs in it :E Big Grin: :D Beers:

Depends on what you want. Diesel and Torques are better than HP and Gas for getting through stuff. Do you want it because it's "Cool or Vogue", or are you actually going to use it?

If you can't find/afford an old landy, look at early body styles you like. Cummins id making a drop in engine, with ancillaries that looks promising for around $12K.

Maybe cheaper than paying for someone else's project.
I've been tracking all options. No interest in cool - buying a working vehicle. No one has offered up a current production equivalent to the Defender or Cruiser and that is the Grenadier was born. The Cummins update has not reviewed well and Cummins no longer supports is. I am looking at a fully restored 110, will cost $125k from a firm in NH. The one great thing about the 300d engines is no electronics and generally good reliability that most any mechanic can work on

When I bought my 109 in the early 80's, it cost me IIRC about $2K, sold it a few years later for under $4K and only had about $6K in it!

@JGRaider
Never met a Toyota owner that didn't wish they had a NISSAN instead.
It's a known fact that 5 out of 4 Toyota owners can't do maths.
Bob

Sorry Mate,

Have to disagree. Everything else is a copy of the Land Rover. Every Jeep owner buys a Jeep because they couldn't afford a Landy! As for Lexus, wasn't even a blink in the eye of LR. You want a "Chelsea Tractor" buy a Rangie, otherwise keep the Asian stuff for tuners and kids..

As for Land Cruisers, very similar thoughts. You want "posh", you're in the wrong demographic. LR's and LC's have style and class far above any plastic vehicle made.

I"m sure you're aware that the Lexus LX is a rebadged LC with a few more options. They are identical mechanically.

Nissan???? You've got to be kidding. Been to Africa, MX, and a few other countries and the LC dominates the off road.

I"m sure you're aware that the Lexus LX is a rebadged LC with a few more options. They are identical mechanically.

Nissan???? You've got to be kidding. Been to Africa, MX, and a few other countries and the LC dominates the off road.
@JGRaider
Only because they don't import Nissan 4x4.
The Nissan patrol has a far stronger drive train than LCs. The LC diesel motor is struggling to handle 10psi turbo boost before egr temps rise to blow up point. The might Patrol can go all the way to 35 psi boost before trouble.
In Australia a lot of 4x4 comp drivers switch out the LC drive train for a Nissan train because of the above
Bob

I remember seeing a number of Nissan pickups in Namibia last time over and I asked my PH what people thought of them.
He said they seemed to be a pretty solid truck and were well liked.
I have a '97 Nissan Pathfinder SUV that my son drives, been a pretty good car.

I remember seeing a number of Nissan pickups in Namibia last time over and I asked my PH what people thought of them.
He said they seemed to be a pretty solid truck and were well liked.
I have a '97 Nissan Pathfinder SUV that my son drives, been a pretty good car.
@sestoppelman
I have a turbo intercooled 2.7 litre Nissan Terrano R20 with 190,000 miles one it and still going strongly.
The 2.7 TDI motor is known to get 1,000,000 km or 600,000 miles and still going provided they are regularly serviced. Out bush mine goes as many and sometimes more places the big boys go.
Bob

Put that Nissan beside a Land Cruiser and 99% of the time people will pick the Cruiser. We don't have TD's here in US.....wish we did. Google most reliable vehicles ever made and the Cruiser will show up every time, not a Nissan anything to be seen. Glad they work well in Ausie land.

Put that Nissan beside a Land Cruiser and 99% of the time people will pick the Cruiser. We don't have TD's here in US.....wish we did. Google most reliable vehicles ever made and the Cruiser will show up every time, not a Nissan anything to be seen. Glad they work well in Ausie land.
@JGRaider
Google Nissan TD 27 & TD42motors and see the reliability. They crap all over Toyota. No timing belts to replace every 60,000 miles.

A lil tip for avoiding counterfeit land rover products;

If it starts, it's probably fake. If it doesn't leak, it's probably fake. If driving in it for more than 20 mins doesn't give you a headache and several cramps in muscle groups you dodnt even know you had, it's definitely fake.

This has been a public service announcement, proudly sponsored by Toyota.

I've been tracking all options. No interest in cool - buying a working vehicle. No one has offered up a current production equivalent to the Defender or Cruiser and that is the Grenadier was born. The Cummins update has not reviewed well and Cummins no longer supports is. I am looking at a fully restored 110, will cost $125k from a firm in NH. The one great thing about the 300d engines is no electronics and generally good reliability that most any mechanic can work on
300TDI is the best engine.

Next is the TD5. I have had 200TDI's, and they don't compare.

Wow, 125K!!! Dang!!! Maybe I should sell some of mine!

If you're looking for a 90, I have a friend who is bringing one over. LHD, in really good shape. He may want to sell as he also just picked up a 110.

Well, Since the OP was about counterfeit LR's, I suppose posting a Lexus is/was appropriate.

It can be a "re-badged" anything, still isn't a Defender.

I'm willing to bet you'd trade all that posh for a proper older Defender 110. Why, because it's a LR Defender. Period. Same reason why most everyone here has the rifles they have. Anyone who own's a "Series" LR will understand.

Now, do I take my older LR's to the Valet, no. 1, they can't drive/park them, 2. I typically have an aroma of Diesel, and that's not appropriate for fine dining in most places. However, I do/will/have taken my newer Defender (2000 model year) out on the town, as well as off road on hunts/excursions. It always garners compliments, and has a proven track record off road.

Want a Defender that you can actually drive in the USA, that’s a 300k investment. Of course that comes with a Corvette engine.

90%+ of my shooting club in Duchess county drive LRs, a lot of defenders as second LRThe guides mostly drive F150s with a few GMC and Rams thrown in.

I drive my F150s for 10 years and give them away to some family member that need it.. They even make me park in the guides lot out back at the club.

Toys are great, don’t get me wrong, but I prefer safaris and double rifle to beautiful, stylish unreliable British status symbols.

Just kidding, I love BMW motorbikes, Rolex watches, double rifles and toys as much as the next man. Might as well throw money away at a LR as throw it away on woman, guns or watches!
I drive a F250 and a Range Rover (supercharged V8) - no note on either. I am also retired. I am told one can hunt, shoot a double, not necessarily drive a POS and still feel virtuous. ;)

Well, Since the OP was about counterfeit LR's, I suppose posting a Lexus is/was appropriate.

It can be a "re-badged" anything, still isn't a Defender.

I'm willing to bet you'd trade all that posh for a proper older Defender 110. Why, because it's a LR Defender. Period. Same reason why most everyone here has the rifles they have. Anyone who own's a "Series" LR will understand.

Now, do I take my older LR's to the Valet, no. 1, they can't drive/park them, 2. I typically have an aroma of Diesel, and that's not appropriate for fine dining in most places. However, I do/will/have taken my newer Defender (2000 model year) out on the town, as well as off road on hunts/excursions. It always garners compliments, and has a proven track record off road.
I'd take the LC/LX any and every day of the week. YMMV. When you google "most reliable, well built, longest lasting vehicles ever made" the LC is always on the list. Haven't seen a Defender on there yet.

Come out with that statement over here and you will be looked at....like did he actually say that?...then either looks of pity...or people rolling around pissing themselves laughing....

:E Rofl: :D Beers:

"willing to bet you'd trade all that posh for a proper older Defender 110. Why, because it's a LR Defender. Period."

Speaking personally, I'd rather have piles than a Defender.

I mean, if you have a Defender you'll probably end up with piles anyway, and even in the us a trip to the doctor is cheaper than a trip to the mechanic if you have a defender...

I'd take the LC/LX any and every day of the week. YMMV. When you google "most reliable, well built, longest lasting vehicles ever made" the LC is always on the list. Haven't seen a Defender on there yet.
@JGRaider
One thing I will give you that was told to me by an LC owner is that they never break down.
They just stop for unscheduled periodic maintenance.
Nissans are regarded as Toyota recovery vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg