Counterfeit Land Rovers: Who knew?????

There is one other option and that is the electric Defender. It is fitted with Tesla componentry from the X or S model ald fitted with 100kWH of battery power. This is really aimed at the safari industry, but for a townie Defender and an offasional short tripper it could be quite attractive. The problem as I see it is that the Tesla drive delivers way too much power and torque, but perhaps with a limiter switch, which it may already have, you would still have the best of both economy as well as hill climbing etc.
67AB58F7-6977-445B-A82B-6542F1CC777C.png

For parts and service, they will be working with Bosch, is that not a brand well represented in the US?

Any means of increasing the fuel efficiency of the FJ40 @Red Leg? Reason I’m asking is that here in Brussels, we start to get all kinds of CO2 limits and minimum fuel efficiency rules on cars to be used on a daily basis.

I really do like them, but they just do not seem the most economical option to go barrelling over the high way at 120km/h to the hunting fields.
MSN ignition, free flowing exaust, 5 speed gear box, a very properly tuned genuine Asin carburetor, new silicone spark plug wires. Even more is gained by a properly built engine including balancing & port matching. I just sold my “baby” better than new 75 klm on the clock. The original owner spent a long time in prison.

I've got a deposit for an INEOS in the US. And then I got to see one at an event. It has potential but the launch in the UK is said not to be going well. Originally intended to be built in Wales, at the last minute Ineos bought a used Mercedes factory in France, and this cost them many of the devoted.

US later launch is now not going best. First, they decided not to bring the diesel to the US, which is a problem for diehards (and me). Second, only the "crew cab" version is coming to the US. The pickup up, 2 seater, and "commercial" (think small 2nd row) versions are not coming to the US. Which may well kill it for me, because I can't get a euro pallet or US pallet in the cargo area. It's no bigger than my Mercedes GLEs.

They've also done odd things like designing a snorkel which they admit doesn't increase fording depth. They did put L track everywhere inside and out which is nice.

The problem with Defenders and Cruisers is that the prices in the US are unbelievably high. If you don't want a project car, restored ones range from $120,000 to $300,000 (these are ground up). Project cars are easily 50K.

So, what does the board recommend for a current model replacement for the Defender/Cruiser?

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 07.41.01.png

My dear fellow, a gentleman doesn't barrel over highways to hunting fields, one sedately makes ground at a civillised pace.
@Kevin Peacocke
The old lady with the little 4 cylinder petrol could barrel over anything. It even battles to do it sedately. 40 miles an hour down a big hill with a tailwind pulled them up. The series 2 was a shocker and in Australia they put 6 cylinder gmh motors in them. Problem is you then had to carry spare axles as they kept on breaking them. That's why Nissan and Toyota are tops in Australia.
The old range rover made by land rover was a different beast with the V8 petrol but the price was a killer.
Bob

If I could only get back my:

1968 Land Rover Series IIa 88
1972 Toyota FJ40
1972 Land Rover Series III 88
1974 Toyota FJ55

I could afford a 21-day dangerous game hunt elephant hunt in Zimbabwe!

Still have the 1986 FJ60 & a 2004 Lexus GX 470 (Landcruiser Prado)

I prefer the Rover's looks, but mine stayed broken all the time.

In 39 years of owning Land Cruisers, I've only replaced one radiator, one time.

Land Cruiser's have no equal.....best built and most reliable vehicles ever made. I have 2007 LX470 version with 110k miles that would probably fetch $35k if I wanted to sell it. Never "met" a Range Rover that didn't wish it were a Land Cruiser.
f00Kfi1.jpg

Land Cruiser's have no equal.....best built and most reliable vehicles ever made. I have 2007 LX470 version with 110k miles that would probably fetch $35k if I wanted to sell it. Never "met" a Range Rover that didn't wish it were a Land Cruiser. View attachment 469122
@JGRaider
Never met a Toyota owner that didn't wish they had a NISSAN instead.
It's a known fact that 5 out of 4 Toyota owners can't do maths.
Bob

Years ago I had a '67 IIA 109 Safari Wagon. Coolest vehicle I ever owned. Fun to drive, go anywhere, pass anything on the road but a repair shop! LOL.
In reality it wasnt that bad but it had been abused before I got it and was in need of repairs which I paid dearly for.
Would love to have another just to play with but as above, the old series LR's have skyrocketed in price and are just simply not practical anymore.
Looked exactly like this one, same color even. In fact this one is in Seattle, note the Washington plates and the skyline with the Space Needle in the background,,, I wonder......naw, couldnt be!
1967_Land_Rover_Series_IIA_Green_Dave_Goodson_000.jpg

As a side note, the Space Needle which is about 600 feet to the top was built for the 1962 Worlds Fair. I lived on the other side of where it stands, north of it on a lake on a houseboat and I remember watching the progress of that thing going up. The picture here is looking north from what looks like Alki Beach across Elliot Bay. My old home town there.

Land Cruiser's have no equal.....best built and most reliable vehicles ever made. I have 2007 LX470 version with 110k miles that would probably fetch $35k if I wanted to sell it. Never "met" a Range Rover that didn't wish it were a Land Cruiser. View attachment 469122
Sorry Mate,

Have to disagree. Everything else is a copy of the Land Rover. Every Jeep owner buys a Jeep because they couldn't afford a Landy! As for Lexus, wasn't even a blink in the eye of LR. You want a "Chelsea Tractor" buy a Rangie, otherwise keep the Asian stuff for tuners and kids..

As for Land Cruisers, very similar thoughts. You want "posh", you're in the wrong demographic. LR's and LC's have style and class far above any plastic vehicle made.

I've got a deposit for an INEOS in the US. And then I got to see one at an event. It has potential but the launch in the UK is said not to be going well. Originally intended to be built in Wales, at the last minute Ineos bought a used Mercedes factory in France, and this cost them many of the devoted.

US later launch is now not going best. First, they decided not to bring the diesel to the US, which is a problem for diehards (and me). Second, only the "crew cab" version is coming to the US. The pickup up, 2 seater, and "commercial" (think small 2nd row) versions are not coming to the US. Which may well kill it for me, because I can't get a euro pallet or US pallet in the cargo area. It's no bigger than my Mercedes GLEs.

They've also done odd things like designing a snorkel which they admit doesn't increase fording depth. They did put L track everywhere inside and out which is nice.

The problem with Defenders and Cruisers is that the prices in the US are unbelievably high. If you don't want a project car, restored ones range from $120,000 to $300,000 (these are ground up). Project cars are easily 50K.

So, what does the board recommend for a current model replacement for the Defender/Cruiser?

View attachment 469053
Depends on what you want. Diesel and Torques are better than HP and Gas for getting through stuff. Do you want it because it's "Cool or Vogue", or are you actually going to use it?

If you can't find/afford an old landy, look at early body styles you like. Cummins id making a drop in engine, with ancillaries that looks promising for around $12K.

Maybe cheaper than paying for someone else's project.

90%+ of my shooting club in Duchess county drive LRs, a lot of defenders as second LRThe guides mostly drive F150s with a few GMC and Rams thrown in.

I drive my F150s for 10 years and give them away to some family member that need it.. They even make me park in the guides lot out back at the club.

Toys are great, don’t get me wrong, but I prefer safaris and double rifle to beautiful, stylish unreliable British status symbols.

Just kidding, I love BMW motorbikes, Rolex watches, double rifles and toys as much as the next man. Might as well throw money away at a LR as throw it away on woman, guns or watches!

Funny and true story. I had been driving mine to work for a while and one day after work I piled in and took off.
When it got up to about 35 miles an hour I all of a sudden had like a popcorn machine dancing on the hood!
I thought WTF is going on here?!?!? Then I noticed beer cans!
My buds without me knowing had loaded a bunch of empty beer cans into the inside of the spare tire on the hood and when it going fast enough it created enuf draft inside the spare to push/pull the cans into the air, just like popping corn!
We all laughed so hard when they fessed up!

Funny and true story. I had been driving mine to work for a while and one day after work I piled in and took off.
When it got up to about 35 miles an hour I all of a sudden had like a popcorn machine dancing on the hood!
I thought WTF is going on here?!?!? Then I noticed beer cans!
My buds without me knowing had loaded a bunch of empty beer cans into the inside of the spare tire on the hood and when it going fast enough it created enuf draft inside the spare to push/pull the cans into the air, just like popping corn!
We all laughed so hard when they fessed up!
Hahahaha!

I drove mine to work occasionally. I always left the keys in her. I'd leave a note on the windscreen asking the last driver to let me know where he parked her, so I could find her and drive her home at day's end. Of course, I cou;d have simply have followed the oil drips to her final parking spot, but that was too easy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg