Coronavirus and travel to/from Namibia

Lmcquin

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
So I’m trying to figure out what to do. I’m set to go to Namibia leaving Wednesday from the USA. I’m extremely concerned about getting quarantined somewhere. If I got quarantined I’d lose my job As using everyday of vacation now for the trip.

They have not cancelled flights yet but the USA president has declared a national emergency.

Tricky call, you are more likely to bring the virus to Namibia than getting it down there and bringing back to the US.
But the hysteria may get you stranded; specially if you fly through Europe.

What is your flight route?

I dont know the answer to this but you may want to look into if you could legally be fired if you got stuck under quarantine. I'd suspect not but I'm no lawyer

Depends if you have a good job or not! :whistle::LOL:

As I work on commissions basically it would be very financially devastating to be gone longer than planned by 14-21 days.

My flight is to Washington DC then to Ghana then South Africa then Namibia. So not through Europe at least.

Planned my whole life to go on this safaris and this is likely my last chance to take my friend as the years have caught up to him.

Don’t get me wrong the people infected etc are the ones to feel bad for and I pray all goes well and quickly. But I am very disheartened at the current status of all for my personal selfish reasons.

I am also concerned get over there and can’t get home etc.

Never would have guessed this and sure nobody else would either.

So I’m trying to figure out what to do. I’m set to go to Namibia leaving Wednesday from the USA. I’m extremely concerned about getting quarantined somewhere. If I got quarantined I’d lose my job As using everyday of vacation now for the trip.

They have not cancelled flights yet but the USA president has declared a national emergency.
The President declared the state of emergency to get money to help the states. There is no state of emergency, there is no reason not to travel to Namibia. Namibia is the best place to be and stay healthy!
This is just a flu virus and if it was officially named a flu virus like all the others before it we would not have this hysteria.
You are letting fear drive you and this is not a good thing. Please go on your safari and have a great adventure!
Philip

If you have no symptoms and any other country you step foot in has no or a very small amount of cases, I'd be going if it was me as the risk is very low.

But only YOU can make that decision

Hope it all works out for you. The best of luck to you if you decide to go

It would be a tough call if I were in your shoes.

Right now everything looks good but as you should know it can change in a heartbeat. You just don't know.

I think that I would personally roll the dice and see what comes up. Just stay aware of what is going on both here in the US and along your route both ways.

Appreciate the thoughts.

I’m not really concerned about catching it etc. heck there are more cases here than where I’m going.

The concern is just that heartbeat change that get stuck somewhere or quartined etc.

I’ll keep monitoring it.

Hope all are well.

The President declared the state of emergency to get money to help the states. There is no state of emergency, there is no reason not to travel to Namibia. Namibia is the best place to be and stay healthy!
This is just a flu virus and if it was officially named a flu virus like all the others before it we would not have this hysteria.
You are letting fear drive you and this is not a good thing. Please go on your safari and have a great adventure!
Philip
While it s nice to hear a calming voice, I'm not as confident as you are regarding travelling. Like you I also believe that, for MOST people, catching this virus will not be much worse than any other flu.

However, being in Europe, I see one country after another restricting travel and closing borders, talking of quarantines etc. The US is probably just a few weeks behind (flights from EU banned already). Not necessarily the best time to be "on the road". Just two weeks ago this rapid development did not really seem likely.

My own first safari is scheduled for early-mid April. Just don't think it is going to happen....at least not for a couple of more months or maybe next year.

Btw, authorities here now (as of this day) discouraging all non-essential travelling to ANY foreign country until April 14th. (A safari would be considered non-essential). I suspect that breaking this 'rule' could void stuff like travel a/o medical insurances.

I think the US State Dept has a similar website listing places you should not go to.

As I work on commissions basically it would be very financially devastating to be gone longer than planned by 14-21 days.

My flight is to Washington DC then to Ghana then South Africa then Namibia. So not through Europe at least.

Planned my whole life to go on this safaris and this is likely my last chance to take my friend as the years have caught up to him.

Don’t get me wrong the people infected etc are the ones to feel bad for and I pray all goes well and quickly. But I am very disheartened at the current status of all for my personal selfish reasons.

Just go for it, enjoy the time with your friend, don’t worry about the what if’s, we can’t fix those!

I'm sure that in Africa they
a.cannot test, guaranteed not on a large area.
b. cannot afford it.
Who should pay for the tests (180.- Euro) with 25% unemployment (much,much higher among blacks)
This is still the highly developed Namibia.Namibia is actually not Africa.It is just there.
I say that because I know really African countries and I haven't even seen the worst of them.
Dispositions can become much more rigorous at night,that weighs more than the virus itself.
In these days stay at home.

Last edited:
Not sure but I think Ghana shut down today.

Not sure but I think Ghana shut down today.
Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 16.26.58.png

Namibia

"Tiri Masawi
Namibia has become the latest African country to record cases of corona virus (Covid-19), the government confirmed on Saturday.
Namibian Minister of Health and Social Services, Dr Kalumbi Shangala, confirmed that two tourists, a couple from Spain who arrived in the country, tested positive for the virus.
"They were attended to by a private doctor who sent samples to South Africa for testing and the tests came out positive," Shangala said.
They are now being monitored under the World Health Organisation guidelines.
Shangala said the Namibian Government and partners are doing all that is necessary to deal with the situation and avoid further spread of the virus in the country."

https://southerntimesafrica.com/site/news/namibia-confirms-two-covid-19-cases

I am trying to find further confirmation of this FLIGHT BAN.

WINDHOEK — Namibia is the latest in a growing list of sub-Saharan African countries to report their first cases of coronavirus.

A couple from Spain who arrived in the Southern African country on Wednesday both tested positive and have been quarantined, Health Minister Kalumbi Shangula said on Saturday.

Namibia, Kingdom of eSwatini, Ethiopia and Rwanda have all reported their first coronavirus cases over the last 48 hours amid mounting fears the pandemic could overwhelm the world’s poorest continent.

Namibian president Hage Geingob told a press conference on Saturday that the government would implement several measures to try and contain the outbreak, including banning all mass gatherings for 30 days and clamping down on travel to three countries.

“The Namibian government is suspending inbound and outbound travel to and from Qatar, Ethiopia and Germany with immediate effect for a period of 30 days,” Geingob said.

Independence Celebrations scheduled for March 21 have been canceled, he added, though a swearing-in ceremony for his second and final term will go ahead.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/health-pmn/namibia-reports-first-two-cases-of-coronavirus-imposes-travel-ban?utm_campaign=magnet&utm_source=article_page&utm_medium=related_articles

Last edited:
Namibia News Release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg