Coriolis

Welcome to the forum Chago! It will be interesting to hear from your experience. Me, I don’t shoot well enough to try over 400 yds nor in over 10mph winds. Pretty much makes most days in Wyoming antelope hunting a no go:cry:!
Even at 400 Coriolis is negligble lol. Problem today is Hollywood has had a hard on for sniper movies. And hunting shows sensationalize shooting animals at outrages ranges. Am I capable of shooting a animal at 1000 yards? Easily. Would I ever? Absolutely not. Hollywood likes to portray snipers making headshots at 1 mile. Truth is your never trained to even aim for the head. Your always told to aim for the largest target which is a triangle on the torso. And a hit of any kind is considered a successful shot in battle. The enemy if not killed is at least wounded and out of the battle. When hunting a animal, the goal is not to wound him and remove him from battle. It's to make a clean kill. And again many people are capable of making clean kills at that distance. But i don't see why I would ever need to. In battle you face other snipers and guns, that's why you stay far away. Zebra, kudu et can't shoot back. My two cents.

Even at 400 Coriolis is negligble lol. Problem today is Hollywood has had a hard on for sniper movies. And hunting shows sensationalize shooting animals at outrages ranges. Am I capable of shooting a animal at 1000 yards? Easily. Would I ever? Absolutely not. Hollywood likes to portray snipers making headshots at 1 mile. Truth is your never trained to even aim for the head. Your always told to aim for the largest target which is a triangle on the torso. And a hit of any kind is considered a successful shot in battle. The enemy if not killed is at least wounded and out of the battle. When hunting a animal, the goal is not to wound him and remove him from battle. It's to make a clean kill. And again many people are capable of making clean kills at that distance. But i don't see why I would ever need to. In battle you face other snipers and guns, that's why you stay far away. Zebra, kudu et can't shoot back. My two cents.
In your expert opinion, when does it really begin to matter? I like to target shoot at long ranges (900+ yds). I have a ballistics app I like to mess around with on my phone, but I have a feeling it's mostly just to satisfy my engineering/nerd side that thinks its cool.

In your expert opinion, when does it really begin to matter? I like to target shoot at long ranges (900+ yds). I have a ballistics app I like to mess around with on my phone, but I have a feeling it's mostly just to satisfy my engineering/nerd side that thinks its cool.

Well depending on the caliber that varies. Obviously the faster the bullet, the shorter time it flies, the less effect the Earth's spin would have. Also what latitude your at in the world. I'm near the 44 N line and let's say with a 308 with 178 grain bullets flying at 2650fps. 1000m you should see a swing of about 10". So 5" up or 5" down, or left right. That sounds like a lot I know. But the truth is you would almost never notice it. Because at that distance your battling so many other variables that over power Coriolis by 20 fold. Like gravity, and wind. So if you shoot east are you really going to notice 5" high? Not really because a 10" group is sub moa. And your actual ammo could be 0.1 grain different in powder which would make a bigger difference then Coriolis. And if your shooting north. 5" left would be a drop in the bucket when your shooting with a 10mph cross wind at that distance.

Coriolis really comes into play at extreme ranges like 1600m and further. But again gets burried into the calculations of wind, temperature, altitude, and gravity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcbuyerapp

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,