Considering rhino hunt or dart hunt

I would like to hear opinions and info from members and outfitter members on rhino hunt options. I think @Philip Glass did a hunt a while back?

I’m open to a hunt with harvest or a dart hunt. I would prefer a rhino with horn growth. I understand there might be a high fence involved but I’m not interested in a small property at all as I have always hunted wilderness concession areas. Is there even a completely free-range option? If not, are there large fenced properties with naturally breeding populations that are not artificially fed from feeders?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'll get straight to the point and I might step on a few toes here but that's the reality of it all.

I hunt enough Rhino's each year to know exactly what the procedures and legalities are.

Rhino's are under tremendous poaching precure all over Africa and something like "free range" and "un-fenced" does not exist.

Most Rhino's are on game farms where they are either
1. protected by armed guards and ant-poaching units every day
2. fenced in on such a way that not even a mongoose can go through those fences.

The only legal way to hunt a Rhino is to do it with a Rifle, caliber 375 and up.
Darting a Rhino is only legal if, you the hunter shoot a "Vita dart" and a registered vet puts it down to recover the dart later and even with those type of hunts there a few legal key points to keep in consideration and need to be discussed with your Outfitter / PH before you commit.

My hunt was for a sawed horn rhino bull. I was the best deal on the best hunt I could find. There are few rhino available anywhere that are not fenced. The dart hunt is a joke IMO. You only stalk and shoot with a vitamin dart then the vet flys in on a chopper and shoots it with the carfentinil and puts it down. No thanks. Maybe for black.
I recommend pricing all options as there are many rhino available and few willing to hunt them.
Are you sure this description of a dart hunt is how ALL dart hunts are conducted? I’m quite certain it’s not.
@PHOENIX PHIL - That is the ONLY legal way to do it.

a Rhino hunt in the right area / right property can be as challenging as any "wild" hunting experience anywhere in the world. I have hunters on this forum who has 1st hand experience of how difficult and challenging that can be, if you send me an email to hunt@lbgsafaris.com I can put you in contact with them.

It all comes down to Location - Location - Location.

I have put a post in the deal and offer a day or two ago.

If you are serous about a Rhino hunt my best advise would be to find an Outfitter and start planning a hunt ASAP.

Kind regards and Merry Christmas to everyone

Black or White?
Either for a dart hunt but probably wouldn’t pay the huge cost of a black rhino hunt right now. Maybe later?

Good day Scott CWO.

I noted your interest in a Rhino Safari. Game Trackers Africa Rockwood Conservation is a 33000 plus acre safari area with one of the largest sustainable (privately owned) Rhino populations on the planet. We can assist with Rhino hunts and management darts. Your safari will be facilitated in a 12000 plus acre rugged terrain area which promise more than a full experience. Please feel free to contact me directly for more information.

Kind regards

Last edited:
In my limited experience, there is a really big difference between white and black rhino. We stalked this black rhino in Namibia. It was the the most switched on animal I have ever approached. I "shot" him with my Nikon. Range was about forty yards. I was carrying a .375. Photo # 1 and then photo # 2. Neither my PH nor I considered a photo # 3. It is one of my finest trophies.

Black Rhino - Namibia

Black Rhino - Namibia

A white rhino.

white rhino.jpg

Guys, please don't name the reserves. They have enough trouble already.
Sorry, that was me I think. If it is better please remove my post (#4) on this thread. Not my intention to get anyone in trouble.

I'll get straight to the point and I might step on a few toes here but that's the reality of it all.

I hunt enough Rhino's each year to know exactly what the procedures and legalities are.

Rhino's are under tremendous poaching precure all over Africa and something like "free range" and "un-fenced" does not exist.

Most Rhino's are on game farms where they are either
1. protected by armed guards and ant-poaching units every day
2. fenced in on such a way that not even a mongoose can go through those fences.

The only legal way to hunt a Rhino is to do it with a Rifle, caliber 375 and up.
Darting a Rhino is only legal if, you the hunter shoot a "Vita dart" and a registered vet puts it down to recover the dart later and even with those type of hunts there a few legal key points to keep in consideration and need to be discussed with your Outfitter / PH before you commit.

@PHOENIX PHIL - That is the ONLY legal way to do it.

a Rhino hunt in the right area / right property can be as challenging as any "wild" hunting experience anywhere in the world. I have hunters on this forum who has 1st hand experience of how difficult and challenging that can be, if you send me an email to hunt@lbgsafaris.com I can put you in contact with them.

It all comes down to Location - Location - Location.

I have put a post in the deal and offer a day or two ago.

If you are serous about a Rhino hunt my best advise would be to find an Outfitter and start planning a hunt ASAP.

Kind regards and Merry Christmas to everyone
Bossie
Thanks for the information. I think more people should consider hunting a rhino. If they are to thrive they need the money from hunts.
Philip

Are you sure this description of a dart hunt is how ALL dart hunts are conducted? I’m quite certain it’s not.
I understood that years ago the vet was present and let the client have the dart gun when the time was right. Technically the drugs used for these type of animals can not be handled by anyone but the vet. It is the same here. So now to comply to the letter of the law (technicality IMO) the client has no access to the drugs.
If I am missing some details please advise.

@Philip Glass hunt was August 2018. You can look it up on the forem…great read and the hunt completed the Big 5 for him which is an incredible accomplishment by a great hunter and person!
Thanks Craig! It was quite an accomplishment for me.

I understood that years ago the vet was present and let the client have the dart gun when the time was right. Technically the drugs used for these type of animals can not be handled by anyone but the vet. It is the same here. So now to comply to the letter of the law (technicality IMO) the client has no access to the drugs.
If I am missing some details please advise.

I’ll look into it.

I am following this thread. I am in same position as others on here, only need rhino to complete 5, I understood I would be financially limited to a dart hunt, but now seeing some of the deals and offers for dehorned old animals I am starting to rethink plan. Being Canadian I think importing rules are still allowed but no real desire to bring home anything but awesome pics.

I will pay attention closely.

MB

It is my vision as well. Coming out of 23 I will have 3, by 25 I hope to have all of the big 5
Wow, what do you have so far? Where are you hunting for what? Great to have confidence in your plan;) I hope it works out!

I am following this thread. I am in same position as others on here, only need rhino to complete 5, I understood I would be financially limited to a dart hunt, but now seeing some of the deals and offers for dehorned old animals I am starting to rethink plan. Being Canadian I think importing rules are still allowed but no real desire to bring home anything but awesome pics.

I will pay attention closely.

MB
I had no problem bringing my white rhino home to the USA. As far as I know, there is no issues at the present time either. As long as the hunt is properly documented and you recieve the proper export permits from RSA or wherever you hunt.

As I understand the issues with elephant it all revolved around not having proper population/numbers information. With Rhino, they seem to keep very good track of the numbers.

I had no problem bringing my white rhino home to the USA. As far as I know, there is no issues at the present time either. As long as the hunt is properly documented and you recieve the proper export permits from RSA or wherever you hunt.

As I understand the issues with elephant it all revolved around not having proper population/numbers information. With Rhino, they seem to keep very good track of the numbers.
That's good news. I was unsure of the rhino import rules into US, I see lots of problems with lions and ele, yet so far up here importing those species is somewhat seamless as long as paperwork is impeccable and done correct. I hope to be saying this in Feb when my CBLion hits Vancouver.

The advertised rhino hunts seam like a great deal currently. Something I must watch and off course do.

MB

That's good news. I was unsure of the rhino import rules into US, I see lots of problems with lions and ele, yet so far up here importing those species is somewhat seamless as long as paperwork is impeccable and done correct. I hope to be saying this in Feb when my CBLion hits Vancouver.

The advertised rhino hunts seam like a great deal currently. Something I must watch and off course do.

MB
They are indeed! Probably no better time in recent history to hunt rhino than last year. This coming year my be as good or close to it. Much lower cost than when I did mine. There is more fear than ever that hunting rhino will close in RSA so the sooner the better.

They are indeed! Probably no better time in recent history to hunt rhino than last year. This coming year my be as good or close to it. Much lower cost than when I did mine. There is more fear than ever that hunting rhino will close in RSA so the sooner the better.
Very true. No better time than now to hunt rhino. I see partial or even full horn hunts for about what I paid for the sawed horn a few years back. They seriously need the hunters dollars to keep he rhino breeding going.

Very true. No better time than now to hunt rhino. I see partial or even full horn hunts for about what I paid for the sawed horn a few years back. They seriously need the hunters dollars to keep he rhino breeding going.
If CITES succeed in listing White Rhino on Appendix 1 you will see Rhino prices shoot through the roof due to limited quota availability.

A good example is the Lions.

Although CB Lion prices declined due to USFW not allowing them in, the Wild Lion prices sky rocked.

If CITES succeed in listing White Rhino on Appendix 1 you will see Rhino prices shoot through the roof due to limited quota availability.

A good example is the Lions.

Although CB Lion prices declined due to USFW not allowing them in, the Wild Lion prices sky rocked.
Weren't wid lion hunts already expensive? They were back in 2015 when I went after my first lion. That was a live and learn experience......

I was very pleased with the deal I got to hunt wild lion in Tanzania in 2021 with possibly the greatest wild lion and leopard hunting guy in operation today. The total hunt added up to a hefty amount but it was one heck of deal for what it was, in my book anyway.

And the wild lion add on which included an additional 5 days in the wilds of Tanzania, was about the price of a CBL lion before the ban on importing them to the US.

Perhaps the stars just lined up right for our Tanzania hunt with Covid still going on and the outfitter having quota available towards the end of the year. But I'm so grateful for having the good sense to do it when the opportunity presented itself;)

Weren't wid lion hunts already expensive? They were back in 2015 when I went after my first lion. That was a live and learn experience......

I was very pleased with the deal I got to hunt wild lion in Tanzania in 2021 with possibly the greatest wild lion and leopard hunting guy in operation today. The total hunt added up to a hefty amount but it was one heck of deal for what it was, in my book anyway.

And the wild lion add on which included an additional 5 days in the wilds of Tanzania, was about the price of a CBL lion before the ban on importing them to the US.

Perhaps the stars just lined up right for our Tanzania hunt with Covid still going on and the outfitter having quota available towards the end of the year. But I'm so grateful for having the good sense to do it when the opportunity presented itself;)
They sure were expensive Bob but hey were nowhere near what you would pay nowadays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross