Considerations for rifle selection you should consider for hunting/SHTF rifle

This was a very interesting read. It went from a what if, to a what actually happened in a SHTF.

As Americans I usually see two camps the what some are calling "preppers" to the it will never happen here in the United States.

It doesn't matter which side you fall on, at the end of the day no one I have talked to wants anything that would constitute a SHTF scenario to take place.

Last time I checked we still live in a free society. No one has to agree on the best way to prepare for life. In general term no one cares if you go to college or trade school or the school of hard knocks. I find it odd because I do see it often, people giving grief/hard time/fun of people that "prep". Yet unless one was extremely wealthy most would cringe if someone said they did not have insurance on their home.

I view it as nothing more than an insurance policy. Like everything in life it can be over the top extreme.

I know this is and old one. I just happened to stumble across it.

Thank you for the historical details. I believe the saying those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Well most do not want to learn about some of the things that are written here, I imagine that this is the pg version of those dealing.

Thank you again for taking the time to write about them.

I had not seen this either. So... are we any closer to a SHTF happening with the Biden Administration in? I guess I say that mostly tongue in cheek, but we are undeniably in a worse situation, home and abroad, and it feels like the Zombie in Chief is a big threat. I know he frightens me.

I am going to answer the original question about a gun. My choice would be my Savage 24V-A. .30-30 over a 20 guage. A combo gun offers versatility and simplicity. I realize there are higher grade such guns offering more options but this is what I have. I will say for mine, I hand load but if I didn't, .30-30 is super common. There's a crap-ton of it down at our local hardware store, here in the middle of nowhere. It isn't perfect for everything but I can make it WORK for literally anything up here of any size, furred or feathered. It would be my choice.

Those of us who have lived through a hurricane, will consider ourselves preppers, and I do have a SHTF bag. But, not for the SHTF that you see in the movies.

During Hurricane Andrew, I prepped, and it kept my family and I fed for about two weeks. My SHTF bag came in handy because of the looting going around the city, and without phones, cops, 911, nothing, all you could do was rely on what arms you had. My Springfield Armory custom 1911 never left my side. We were without power for 28 days, in the middle of Sep in South Florida. That hurricane taught me a valuable lesson, that you can never be too ready, or have enough food.

Now, let's look at another scenario. About 6 years ago, Atlanta got hit with the worst ice & snow storm in decades, and drivers were left stranded on the highways, having to walk for miles to their homes on high heels and without the proper clothing. If they would have had a SHTF bag in the truck of their vehicle, with different type of shoes, some energy bars, water, etc. Walking home would have not have been too bad.

These are some of the main reasons why I prep and why I have a SHTF bag. You just never know when you'll need that stuff. :)

I am not a prepper but it is amazing how all my camping gear can be duel purposed. (y);)

I have found that most of us that hunt, tend to be better prepared for a shtf scenario. At least at the house. Freezers filled (hopefully) with game and other groceries. And weapons of some sort to defend it with. How well and for how long we hope to never test. Those of us that live in a rural area probably get more practice as we deal with storms and power outages on a semi-regular basis.

I guess it would also depend where I was when shtf ? If I was prepared at home and had to leave. Then a mac-90, m1-garand and my rem 700 in 300wm would be my rifles to use without too much maint. I would bring my s&w model 29 44mag as my sidearm.
If on vacation, I guess I would just use what I picked up off the dead people laying around.

I think something small and lightweight, with a lot of firepower would be very handy. Something like an HK MP5 or Daniel Defense Mk18.
Small enough to keep with you at all times, but more usable than a handgun.

I think something small and lightweight, with a lot of firepower would be very handy. Something like an HK MP5 or Daniel Defense Mk18.
Small enough to keep with you at all times, but more usable than a handgun.
@Wyatt Smith
Why aren't you loading that 25 and sighting it in.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross