Compressing Powder

Bob Nelson 35Whelen,
Dr Ray is actually one of the first persons I conversed with here on AH when I joined back in 2018. I don’t remember what it was about, but I’m sure I was asking one of my stupid questions about large bore rifles. Anyway, Dr Ray dazzled me with his .416 Remington information and stories, so he primed my feeble mind towards thinking about larger bore rifles. As for common sense, I think I leave it behind when I’m here on this forum. The ENABLERS here are very clever with their subtleties while pushing larger bored rifles and bigger and heavier bullets and trying to suck everyone into the “Black Hole” of owning bigger and better rifles! I’m trying to find my way out now! Ha! Ha!
CEH

I’m a great influence [emoji56]
 
Drop tube is the way to go.

If you need compression beyond that, trade your 748 for something faster.

I have been studying up on BPCR as I am picking up a Sharps tomorrow. Amazing how much manual compression guys do with black powder, AFTER using a drop tube (using the reloading press and a compression die).

I don't think that last route is applicable to smokeless!!!

Google building a drop tube and you'll find guys use aluminum arrows and copper water pipe with good success.
 
I guess the tube will also prevent some of the powder granules from getting stuck on the inside of the neck from the case lube? I’ve never worried about it and just load a bullet into the case which pushes the powder granules from the neck into the case.
It has never happened to me, but every now and then I hit it gently with my fingertips.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,896
Members
169,463
Latest member
DarrylTeno
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top