Compressing Powder

Bob Nelson 35Whelen,
Dr Ray is actually one of the first persons I conversed with here on AH when I joined back in 2018. I don’t remember what it was about, but I’m sure I was asking one of my stupid questions about large bore rifles. Anyway, Dr Ray dazzled me with his .416 Remington information and stories, so he primed my feeble mind towards thinking about larger bore rifles. As for common sense, I think I leave it behind when I’m here on this forum. The ENABLERS here are very clever with their subtleties while pushing larger bored rifles and bigger and heavier bullets and trying to suck everyone into the “Black Hole” of owning bigger and better rifles! I’m trying to find my way out now! Ha! Ha!
CEH

I’m a great influence

Drop tube is the way to go.

If you need compression beyond that, trade your 748 for something faster.

I have been studying up on BPCR as I am picking up a Sharps tomorrow. Amazing how much manual compression guys do with black powder, AFTER using a drop tube (using the reloading press and a compression die).

I don't think that last route is applicable to smokeless!!!

Google building a drop tube and you'll find guys use aluminum arrows and copper water pipe with good success.

I guess the tube will also prevent some of the powder granules from getting stuck on the inside of the neck from the case lube? I’ve never worried about it and just load a bullet into the case which pushes the powder granules from the neck into the case.
It has never happened to me, but every now and then I hit it gently with my fingertips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross