Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
So I was working from home this morning and on a Zoom meeting when a big black bird came over the roof and landed in a big tree at the entrance to the park adjacent to my home. I was out on the deck as has become my habit in the mornings now that the weather here in Phx is so nice. A few minutes after the bird landed in the tree, I saw it come out and take a dove that was feeding on the ground. The bird subsequently flew up and landed on top of a lamp post to enjoy it's breakfast. And I got a pic, albeit from my iPhone, so it's okay. I had to make a PDF out of the pic, so please click on the attached file.

I've never seen this bird before. But from what I can tell it's a Common Black Hawk that isn't actually all that common from what I'm gathering. Wondered if maybe @AZDAVE or @Brent in Az might know as they seem to be more prevalent in your part of the state.

If you click on the link and compare the pics of these beautiful birds to the pic I'm posting, I think it's the same.

Attachments

• Black Hawk.pdf
    17.4 MB · Views: 192
This is a Common Blackhawk, very nice. I've missed seeing one on three trips for birding in SE Arizona, great backyard bird to have.

This is a Common Blackhawk, very nice. I've missed seeing one on three trips for birding in SE Arizona, great backyard bird to have.

Thanks for the confirmation. It was quite a treat to see it. I knew immediately I had never seen one, at least not close enough to know I hadn't. And get to watch him take that dove was something. The lamp post really isn't that far from where I sat, 30 yards or so. He wasn't in the least bothered by me sitting there.

I do believe I have seen them. At first I thought it was a Vulture when I saw it from afar. I have seen plenty of Hawks in Tucson, but smaller and lighter in coloration? They prey on the Pigeons in town.

You are fortunate, @PHOENIX PHIL . Arizona has been one of my favorite states for birding. This is an uncommon bird.

They are incredible birds. We saw them regularly in Costa Rica around our villa where they seem to prey on the smaller iguanas (to no one's regret). I had not realized they reached as far as the American SW. What a sighting!

@PHOENIX PHIL you got a rare treat, I usually see one or two a every other year or so, when am hiking down around the San Pedro river. We have a lot of birds of prey down in my area and it is a treat when we get to see the Black Hawk.

Looks a lot like a crow, but I have not seen one in Texas. We have red tailed hawks and some smaller hawks/falcons, but our local crow family tends to drive off all but the large red tails.
Because of such birds, we have netting over our chicken pens and only the smallest of birds can get in.

@PHOENIX PHIL you got a rare treat, I usually see one or two a every other year or so, when am hiking down around the San Pedro river. We have a lot of birds of prey down in my area and it is a treat when we get to see the Black Hawk.

Sitting in my same spot here this morning hoping I might see it again, but guessing he's moved on. I can't help but wonder if due to the fact we haven't had measurable rain in months, if that didn't push the bird into an area it might not be normally.

I had to google it to learn more about them-very attractive raptor and a neat experience you had

We have a Common Black Hawk where I live too, but it's rather a different sort of bird. Made of metal and has this big whirly apparatus on top instead of wings. Wish we had your sort here too, though. I've always liked seeing birds of prey doing their thing, and that's quite a handsome critter.

I have several of those whirly bird blackhawks. Very effective predators.

Cool Phil, I have seen them up in the Apache Box area by Morenci.

We saw these all over the place when we hunted quail there once upon a time. Years later the mousebirds of South Africa would remind me of them-
3EEAA82E-AF7D-45A3-8D98-D8E34891051E.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you