Colt Sauer find

curt672

AH veteran
Joined
Jul 23, 2025
Messages
125
Reaction score
199
Location
Wa. state
Hunted
United States, Canada, AFRICA, Alaska
Since the early 70s I have been infatuated with the Sauer 90 and the Colt Sauer made from the same action , recently I found a NIB Colt Sauer in 375 H&H -- its so damn pretty I can't bring myself to soot it or hunt with it, so for now its a safe queen. But someday we will see.
1000001840.jpg
1000001841.jpg
 
They are interesting and beautiful guns. I have one in 300 win mag that was my college graduation present. Unfortunately the stick broke at the pistol grip which is evidently common as they were thin there. I can’t bring myself to spend the $2500 to get a replacement stock. I prowl for used ones all the time.
 
They are interesting and beautiful guns. I have one in 300 win mag that was my college graduation present. Unfortunately the stick broke at the pistol grip which is evidently common as they were thin there. I can’t bring myself to spend the $2500 to get a replacement stock. I prowl for used ones all the time.
I think there is a shop in Montana that has new old stock, stocks for sale , before I use mine I am going to reinforce that area with a steel rod , as I have heard that is an issue with them.
 
Last edited:
I think there is a shop in Montana that has new old stock, stocks for sale , before I use mine I am going to reinforce that area with a steel rod , as I have heard that is an issue with them.
The Sauer 80/90 was quite popular in Germany in the 1980s/90s, so your best sources for replacement stocks are there. They also avoid the known weak spot for breakage at the pistol grip.

Quick list:

 
I think there is a shop in Montana that has new old stock, stocks for sale , before I use mine I am going to reinforce that area with a steel rod , as I have heard that is an issue with them.
Thanks. Yeah I look at that site regularly hoping a synthetic or low condition stock will come up for sale. The like new ones are $2500 which is more than I want to spend.
 
The Sauer 80/90 was quite popular in Germany in the 1980s/90s, so your best sources for replacement stocks are there. They also avoid the known weak spot for breakage at the pistol grip.

Quick list:

Thank you. Ve looked into that. Getting them from there to here isn’t that straight forward.
 
I always tell guys; They make more sandpaper and finish take you pretty guns afield. Finishes can always be fixed.
 
Beautiful rifle! The stock reminds me of Weatherby rifles. At one time Weatherby rifles were made in Germany by Sauer.
 
They are interesting and beautiful guns. I have one in 300 win mag that was my college graduation present. Unfortunately the stick broke at the pistol grip which is evidently common as they were thin there. I can’t bring myself to spend the $2500 to get a replacement stock. I prowl for used ones all the time.
 
OK Russ made me nervous I went out to look at my Sauer -- took it apart and found the stock to be very lite weight for a bigger bore -- so wheels are turning , I epoxied a piece of chromoly tubing down thru the pistol grip and filled the open channel in the fore end with lead shot and epoxy . pic shows the mayhem.
IMG_20260925_141355983.jpg

Beautiful rifle! The stock reminds me of Weatherby rifles. At one time Weatherby rifles were made in Germany by Sauer.
Its my understanding that Colt sourced the wood and finish and sent it to Sauer for fitting and completion.
 
I should have specified that mine didn’t break due to recoil. It cracked while in a scabbard on an elk hunt. But it still cracked because the wrist is very thin.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,241
Messages
1,569,355
Members
168,660
Latest member
sweetotperkikd1978
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top