Cogswell & Harrison scope bases & mounts

PeteG

AH elite
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
1,789
Reaction score
3,394
Location
Zambia
Media
114
Articles
2
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
Professional Guides and Outfitters Association of Zambia
Break out your thinking caps chaps...

My dad recently bought a Cogswell & Harrison 458WM on which he would like to mount a red dot scope.
The scope is an older 30mm tube and has rings, but I am open to buying him new rings if needed
The question is what kind of bases, or bases and rings do I buy for him.

Heading to a gunsmith is not an option due to where we are.

I am flying down to RSA this week and I can have a look down there, but before I do, I thought best to see what the vast knowledge base on here has to say.

At some stage, the previous owner marked the receiver for what I assume were scope bases, unfortunately the markings are a few mm off center.

I have attached a few pics of the action here, let me know if anyone has any ideas and options that I can look at.
I used the vernier to try get an idea of the dimensions in case anyone was curious.

Thanks
PHOTO-2019-02-18-14-22-16.jpg
PHOTO-2019-02-18-14-22-17 (1).jpg
PHOTO-2019-02-18-14-22-17 (2).jpg
PHOTO-2019-02-18-14-22-18 (1).jpg
PHOTO-2019-02-18-14-22-18.jpg
 
Looks like a neat pickup. Perhaps it may be included in an inheritance one day.;)

Mike Taylor probably has some ideas, some of the London chaps that he knows like Newton would be a good source.

Rookhawk scoped a Cogswell Harrison in 375 2-4 years ago. You might ask him. He has some photos somewhere on AH. I believe the mount was on the offside of the action and were a cantilever design.

Sorry I can't help any more than that. Let us see what it looks like when your done.
 
Looks like a neat pickup. Perhaps it may be included in an inheritance one day.;)

Mike Taylor probably has some ideas, some of the London chaps that he knows like Newton would be a good source.

Rookhawk scoped a Cogswell Harrison in 375 2-4 years ago. You might ask him. He has some photos somewhere on AH. I believe the mount was on the offside of the action and were a cantilever design.

Sorry I can't help any more than that. Let us see what it looks like when your done.
Thanks for the advice. I will look up rookhawks post.
I’m hopeful he doesn’t sell it, it shoots beautifully.
 
Looks like a standard m98 action
Perhaps I will get a set of mounts this week and see if they fit when I get back next month
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,914
Members
169,639
Latest member
AlbaAlber
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top