Checking firearms to S.A.

Randy01

Reaction score
Member of
NRA, NTA, OTA, RMEF
Hunted
United States, Africa, New Zealand, Mexico
Hello all,
Just joined this forum. We are traveling to S.A. for safari in July. We are flying with BA to JHB and then to PLZ via SA Airlink. I have read conflicting information regarding firearms and ammo. Has anyone traveled with these airlines recently that can provide some insight to what we might expect? I am taking my 3 granddaughters on their first hunt, ages 23,12, and 11. Because I am taking the girls I will be using a meet/greet service at JHB to streamline the process.
Some of the info states you can put your ammo in with your locked firearm case, some info states it must be in a locked case in your luggage, some state that it must be in its own locked, checked case. Any input would be appreciated.

Your ammo must be in a locked case. At the airport you will put the ammo case in your checked bag. Once at JNB and at Airlink, you will remove your ammo case and it will fly separately.

Don’t forget to call Ba and advise them that you will be carrying a firearm and again 72 hours before your flight. Make sure you keep a copy of your BA paperwork that issued at the US airport, as the counter staff are not BA employees but contractors, that are not the brightest.

Your ammo must be in a locked case. At the airport you will put the ammo case in your checked bag. Once at JNB and at Airlink, you will remove your ammo case and it will fly separately.

Don’t forget to call Ba and advise them that you will be carrying a firearm and again 72 hours before your flight. Make sure you keep a copy of your BA paperwork that issued at the US airport, as the counter staff are not BA employees but contractors, that are not the brightest.
Thank you SO much! If it was just me and wife traveling I would not sweat it so much, but with the girls along I really want it to be a seamless and stressless experience for them.

Need to know layovers to help. BA can be a pain. Check with all airlines you are flying. Some connections are more difficult than others. I only fly certain routes, countries, and carriers with rifles. Check with the airlines then make up your mind if it worth the trouble.

Need to know layovers to help. BA can be a pain. Check with all airlines you are flying. Some connections are more difficult than others. I only fly certain routes, countries, and carriers with rifles. Check with the airlines then make up your mind if it worth the trouble.
Fly Alaska Airlines to Seattle, BA to London, BA to JHB, SA Airlink to PLZ. Layovers about 6 hrs each.

Have your ammo in a separate locked case as mentioned, do not put ANY ammo in your locked rifle case, they want to see no ammo in there when you first check in and they have you open the rifle case. Then as mentioned when you check in for your Airlink flight to Port Elizabeth you will remove the locked ammo case from your checked luggage and it will be sent as a separate checked bag

Have your ammo in a separate locked case as mentioned, do not put ANY ammo in your locked rifle case, they want to see no ammo in there when you first check in and they have you open the rifle case. Then as mentioned when you check in for your Airlink flight to Port Elizabeth you will remove the locked ammo case from your checked luggage and it will be sent as a separate checked bag
Are handloads allowed?

Are handloads allowed?

Yes, but they must be a in a box that’s inside your ammo box.

Also, unless you paid for your Airlink gun fee in advance, you will have to pay that at the ticket office and not the check in counter.

Geez...Not sure if taking rifles is worth the hassle. My good friend just spent 2 days in Phoenix airport because British Airways had them flagged as "restricted" and would not let them check their rifle to London/Heathrow. Luckily, he had a friend in Phoenix that came and picked up his gun for him. Then he had to fight to get seats for his flights to Cape Town. As far as I know, he did all his homework and paperwork was spot on.

Agree. To be extra clear I always use Travel Express who knows to contact Airlink before my trip letting them know I am shipping guns and ammo on their plane so it comes up on their system when you check in

Agree. To be extra clear I always use Travel Express who knows to contact Airlink before my trip letting them know I am shipping guns and ammo on their plane so it comes up on their system when you check in

Well, that does not always work, I had emails from Airlink confirming my gun on both flights. From SA to Ndola, Airlink said Qatar never notified us of the gun and no notice of gun in system. Showed email with Airlink logo gun traveled. Flight from Ndola to SA, Airink said no notice of Gun, showed email, gun travel to SA. In SA, Airlink never notified Qatar of transfer of gun, showed email from Qatar and Airlink, gun traveled back. Lesson don't count on Airlink unless you ahve written confermation and even expect foul ups.

Geez...Not sure if taking rifles is worth the hassle. My good friend just spent 2 days in Phoenix airport because British Airways had them flagged as "restricted" and would not let them check their rifle to London/Heathrow. Luckily, he had a friend in Phoenix that came and picked up his gun for him. Then he had to fight to get seats for his flights to Cape Town. As far as I know, he did all his homework and paperwork was spot on.

Did they call BA the 72 hours before the flight to confirm carriage?

The simple way to do it is to avoid certain airlines or if you insist on flying them that you need to do your homework, and use a travel agent that is familiar with the regulations.

Two trips with firearms and not a single hassle that would of caused problems.

Quick question, I’ve only transferred through South Africa with a rifle on the way to Mozambique . Next year I will be staying and hunting in the Limpopo. How does the leaving South Africa after the hunt with a rifle look? Do you check in and go to the police station and drop your rifle off? Or do you use your rifle import company again to help you through?

What calibre?...

My meet and greet got me through JNB on the arrival then on the departure to PLZ. There again in JNB for the trip home.
I gifted my leftover ammo and the plastic case to a couple of the PH's before the return. My Airlink flight to PLZ I had to check the ammo case separate and locked. I only had to pay for the firearm handling fee which wasn't much.

Update: Have decided to not take our firearms. I am taking along my 3 Granddaughters, ages 23,12,and 11 (plus my wife, lol). Has anyone had any issues bringing kids along? Their mother will not be going with us. I have filled out the SA forms and have their documents in order....I think.

Thought so....I know from back when I used to fly back and forwards to here with guns(before I moved here) the person who I used to transfer my guns from Gatwick to Heathrow told me she had big problems with a client, as they wouldn't accept his 338 win mag...they have a ban as far as I know on military calibres....and with the 338 lapua being used as a sniper rifle it is on the list....didn't matter how she argued it that the 338 win wasn't the same , unfortunately they still wouldn't accept it as 338 was not allowed....presume some mupper writing the list just put 338 instead of being specific...but not sure....had a slight issue one time bringing finns .223 bolt action Jeffery rifle...the security came and said you can't have a semi auto rifle...was bit confused...I had to explain that not all .223 rifles were semi auto...and it was a bolt action....checked it and were fine...apart from that never had a problem there....flying out of lusaka once on board the hostess came to me and said one of your rifles is illegal in UK...it was finns ruger 10/22....I said no .22lr in semi auto is legal in UK....she said they are checking...came back and said its fine...I was actually bloody surprised they were that clued up on UK firearms law....Didn't bring up the fact that where am from you can still have all semi autos...didn't want to complicate it.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArethaHoll

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!