Cheap $100 Scope

So I spent yesterday at the range with 3 rifles 7mm Rem with a Riton, a 7-08 with a Vortex and my Whelen with a Leupold. All 3 perform excellent the Riton and the Vortex are in the upper magnification range and the Leupold is a 3x15.The glass on the Vortex and Riton are excellent but the glass on the Leupold is outstanding, of course the Leupold is 2.5 times the price I wonder how a 1200.00 Riton and Vortex would compare but thats not likely to happen with my budget

I got to look through a $3,700 Vortex mounted on a long range target rifle and will say it appeared to be outstanding but I wouldn't expect anything else at that price point.

I know the Crossfire II and Diamondback get good reviews at their price point and I certainly buy many Chinese products but I try to avoid it if possible.

I didn’t read this whole thread but if your still looking for a scope. I have a Redfield tracker, 2x7, 4 plex for $100.00

75C5EDDE-DC19-44B5-8BED-5865A79869FD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got to look through a $3,700 Vortex mounted on a long range target rifle and will say it appeared to be outstanding but I wouldn't expect anything else at that price point.

I know the Crossfire II and Diamondback get good reviews at their price point and I certainly buy many Chinese products but I try to avoid it if possible.
Getting into that price point there are several options I'd pick over a Vortex AMG having some time behind that glass and the other options.

Barring special applications, I think the best bang for your buck in hunting scopes is in the $800 -1200 range. The quality of the glass and coatings is much better. In low light (when the animals are moving the most) you've got much better clarity and image crispness. The features at this price point are normally a step-up as well. For a more inexpensive rifle, $300-500 isn't a bad price point either.

I never understood why people skimp on their bullet selection and optics. If we add up how much we spend on hunting, and that brand new rifle, the last 2 are critical on the hunt. A $20 box of ammo vs a $50-75 premium box. A $150-200 set of binos vs a $1000, same with the scope. But that's just me ...

Getting into that price point there are several options I'd pick over a Vortex AMG having some time behind that glass and the other options.

Barring special applications, I think the best bang for your buck in hunting scopes is in the $800 -1200 range. The quality of the glass and coatings is much better. In low light (when the animals are moving the most) you've got much better clarity and image crispness. The features at this price point are normally a step-up as well. For a more inexpensive rifle, $300-500 isn't a bad price point either.

I never understood why people skimp on their bullet selection and optics. If we add up how much we spend on hunting, and that brand new rifle, the last 2 are critical on the hunt. A $20 box of ammo vs a $50-75 premium box. A $150-200 set of binos vs a $1000, same with the scope. But that's just me ...

Just a young man starting out with a wife and a young baby with a hand-me-down rifle and a 40 year old Bushnell that decided to give up.the ghost. For him $100 would be a stepup scope.

If the Sightron S1 3-9x40 I gave him doesn't hold up I have à NIB Leopold VX1 2-7x40 that I got cheap on closeout I'll give him.

I have several rifles with Vortex Diamondback and Viper glass on them and I find them an excellent choice for the money.
I once used their warranty service on what I thought was a bad scope they went thru it and actually mounted it on a test rifle they sent it back about a week later and enclosed the results. I think the Vipers are made in the Philippines if that makes any difference

Last edited:
Scope selection is a rough subject because though they are used for shooting they are not uniformly applied by the rifleman. A hunter may shoot a box of 20 shells per season. The first barrel on my Savage was removed at 1200 rounds. BBL #2 has over 1800 rounds. That is a lot of recoil pulses against the scope. I mention this because a less costly optic might not handle that many pulses without something failing inside.
I bought a savage 110BA in 300 WM at over $2k. That sucked up my fund bucket so a $2k Nightforce was not an option. I found a Millett 5-25X 56mm lens with 35mm tube for $480. 140 moa dialup for LR shooting. The specs say it was rated for a 50 BMG. I mounted it on the savage for an 19.3 lb unit with around 14 ft lbs recoil. I sent 3 back for repair as they failed inside. The 4th was killed by a Mosin Negant 7.62x54R cartridge. That time they sent a different brand replacement. When my funds were in the bucket again I bought a Vortex PST for $1K and on the same savage gave me the smallest group I ever got out of that rifle. (3/8 five shot group at 100 yards. My guess is that the Millett never gave me the full accuracy potential for the rifle.
Each warranty return has to be sent at my expense accompanied by a $10 check so was not free. My Vortex has a warranty as well but never had to send it back nor has it faulted my accuracy.
For my personal needs I get a side focus and prefer a mildot reticle. I need to be able to dial direct to at least 1500 yards and when we had an opportunity to shoot at 1868 yards were dialing direct to center cross hair hold. Some optics have a extensive aiming system that can be confusing to me when shooting groups because I might not remember what hold off I used between shots.
Final position: if it works for your application then use it whatever it cost.
The Millett was the first scope that I owned with which I could see my body contact wiggling the rifle. It helped better my shooting a lot. That never would have shown up with a lower power optic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg