Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I've been on AH for almost a year and a half and have read a lot of posts discussing Double Rifles. Today I went to my local Cabelas Store and while going through their "Gun Library" ran across a Chapuis Armes Double Rifle in 9.3 x 74R complete with "claw" type mounts, scope, wood presentation box & dies. Prior to this chance encounter I've never heard of Chapuis Armes. Are their doubles any good?

I did some initial research on the internet and it seems like these rifles are not "regulated" in the conventional manner. They have one fixed barrel and one "adjustable" barrel. For me RED FLAGS went up all over the place. Do I have good reason for my skepticism?

I would like to hear what the owners of "working" double guns think of this manufacturer, and regulation method.

I think the idea of the fixed & adjustable barrel is that you fire the ammunition of choice through the fixed barrel, then adjust the sights to point of aim, then adjust the other barrel so that it hits the same spot; so the barrels would be regulated to your sights. If you change loads, then repeat process.

Ray B, I read that on their website. Is that a good thing, or a waste of time. Do the "adjustments" hold over time & multiple firings? If this is such a good idea, why don't all of the manufacturers regulate their doubles in this manner?

Call J.J. Perodeau at Champlin Arms and discuss the guns with him at 530-237-7388. He acquires used ones, regulates them to the ammo of your choice, and guarantees his work. His reputation is stellar. If he doesn't convince you, don't buy it.

Call J.J. Perodeau at Champlin Arms and discuss the guns with him at 530-237-7388. He acquires used ones, regulates them to the ammo of your choice, and guarantees his work. His reputation is stellar. If he doesn't convince you, don't buy it.

Thanks for the info.

I had a side by side in 7x65R with extra barrel in cal.20.
Shot like a dream but I sold it and went to Southafrica to hunt.:)

I had a side by side in 7x65R with extra barrel in cal.20.
Shot like a dream but I sold it and went to Southafrica to hunt.:)
Probably a good reason to sell one!

You got me exited with that northern CA area code so I through it into google to find the location. Maybe see some guns. But it would be a heck of a drive... They are in OK with a (580) code. ;)

tel- (580) 237-7388
http://www.champlinarms.com/

You got me exited with that northern CA area code so I through it into google to find the location. Maybe see some guns. But it would be a heck of a drive... They are in OK with a (580) code. ;)

tel- (580) 20237-7388
http://www.champlinarms.com/
Yes, they are based at a municipal airport in Enid Oklahoma, and have been for a very long time, Don't know if that would be worth the drive just to do some window shopping, but you never know! Their range is a very short walk from the shop.

Sounds like you've found one of the X4 model. I've not seen one, but assuming they're up to scratch, it'll be great.

I am also on the hunt for a double. I am looking at an UGEX model not the x4. You may get an extra barrel for the UGEX but not the X4. Also, the barrel is 55cm instead of 60cm (22 inch vs 23.5). The one I think of buying is the UGEX with an extra barrel in 20g. I am not sure if I want to invest 4000$ more for a Merkel or just a bit more for a Krieghoff in the same caliber 9.3x74r. Of course, the Krieghoff would not come with an extra barrel. The price is out of my budget with the extra barrel for a Merkel and/or Krieghoff. I heard that the early model in the X4 had problems holding the regulation but now they seem to have solve these issues and it is reliable. My source comes from a French reviewer of various rifles on youtube. Chapuis is well respected in France and solve problems quickly to maintain their reputation. Also, the X4 is lighter. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Im not so sure about their will to maintain their reputation.

The left barrel of mine Chapuis got loose from the rib and the factory where unwilling to fix the problem for free, so I take it customers need to accept the occasional bad soldering…

IMG_6986.jpg
IMG_6988.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not so sure about their will to maintain their reputation.

The left barrel of mine Chapuis got loose from the rib and the factory where unwilling to fix the problem for free, so I take it customers need to accept the occasional bad soldering…

View attachment 267638 View attachment 267639
Front sight looks like a tower. Strange the wedge isn't centered.

A friend has one in 9.3x74R. Unfortunately he has a new job and sleeps all day and works long hours at night. I’ll see what he says when he’s available. I have shot it before. It is pretty light and hammers on both ends.

Schlum, that would make me furious! Oh and welcome to AH!

Last edited:
I bought a used Chapuis UGEX last year in 9.3x74R with an extra set of barrels in 7x65R. The rifle is light, beautifully balanced and with the regulation load will put 4 rounds within an inch using a scope. After that the barrels heat up and the group opens up, but I can still fire 8 rounds as quickly as possible and cover them with the palm of my hand. Oh, that’s at one hundred yards. The 7x65R barrels on the other hand, will barely do that at 20. I’ve tried every commercial load available with no success. Both sets of barrels are rollmarked with JJ Parodeau, so he worked on them at some point. When I won’t need the rifle for awhile it’s going back to him to see what he can do with the 7x65R barrels. If the price is right I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Chapuis.

I currently have an RGEX in 9.3x74r. In the past I've owned 2 different UGEX's. I had to sell the first to pay medical bills and the second to pay for drywall and flooring. All have been well made, properly regulated and a pleasure to own. I have no experience with the newer model.
The wedge at the muzzle is there to do regulation. On the models that I have owned re regulation must be done by a quality double rife gunsmith, like J J.
I've know a number of folks who have owned Chapuis rifles. All but one were very happy with them. The one fellow was disappointed with the figure in the wood, and he couldn't get past that.
It looks like Schlum's is a bad one.
I think at their price range they are hard to beat, but a person needs to learn how to shoot and load for them.
Chapuis regulates the rifle at the factory with a specific load and includes the regulation target with the gun. The target will list the load and distance.
What a first or second owner might have done is anybodies guess.
Short version, I have liked mine, solid, accurate, beautiful.
Bfly

I have allso been very happy with my Chapuis and hunted with it for many years.
Up untill the barrel got loose from the rib, the accuracy was very good with 250grs. Accubonds.

My point is that if everything works, it is a nice sound double rifle for sure! If however something unexpected happen with the rifle, dont expect anything from the factory.

B9E08F7E-4491-48D3-90B1-F28D9B58E276.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been on AH for almost a year and a half and have read a lot of posts discussing Double Rifles. Today I went to my local Cabelas Store and while going through their "Gun Library" ran across a Chapuis Armes Double Rifle in 9.3 x 74R complete with "claw" type mounts, scope, wood presentation box & dies. Prior to this chance encounter I've never heard of Chapuis Armes. Are their doubles any good?

I did some initial research on the internet and it seems like these rifles are not "regulated" in the conventional manner. They have one fixed barrel and one "adjustable" barrel. For me RED FLAGS went up all over the place. Do I have good reason for my skepticism?

I would like to hear what the owners of "working" double guns think of this manufacturer, and regulation method.
I would buy without consideration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg