Chapius Iphisi 375h&h

It is not an unattractive double. I don't want to cast insults by comparisons to others, but it is in the upper end of beauty compared to peers at similar pricepoints. I'd like to hear when someone gets to try one out in person.

I have read all I can find on the Iphisi, it sounds great. I wondered why they didn't opt for the 375 Flanged case, but with the pawl extractor pretty much perfected now I suppose it makes a lot of sense to get the commonality with all the 375 H&H owners, and of course a little more power. My buddies are looking for doubles but can't tumble to the price of a Heym, so this is of great interest to them.

@Kevin Peacocke was your 375 Flanged a Chapuis? If so, would you endorse them in the future as a maker? Did you get reasonable support? (Apologies if your gun's maker was another, couldn't recall if VC or Chapuis)
Mine was a VC, I haven't used a Chapuis yet.

Very nice, is that furniture an upgrade or was it standard. Website loads without pics for me just script

@USN - the wood is standard, i.e., grade-3 Circassian walnut. Mr. Chapuis has a great eye for the wood for his guns—I was really impressed with the blanks they have at the factory.

Ok, I gotta ask - are they regulated to the standard factory load? My "standard" DG handload is a 300 grain bonded bullet at a MV of ~2,425 to ~2,460 fps for ~60 yards and closer.

Given the mentioned price point I don't suppose I could request a tailored barrel regulation, eh?

Hello, @Puddle - yes, the Iphisi and all non-custom offerings are regulated with factory ammo--almost always Hornady DGX unless chronically unavailable. Chapuis doubles are not hard or overly expensive to re-regulate: there is a wedge between the last 12" (approx) of the barrels and protruding about 3/8," which a competent gunsmith can tweak backward or forward to regulate the rifle for a specific load.

Nice looking rifle. I have a RGEX 9.3x74 that is my favorite rifle I own. Will you have or one of the US vendors an Iphisi at DSC and or SCI?

Iphisi means "big game hunter."

I speak isiZulu every day and have yet come across that reference. Impisi or imphisi is also used depending on dialect and spelling, which famously varies. The town Mkuze is spelt Mkuze and Mkhuze in the main road…

I’ve asked Mfana, a Zulu PH hunting for the Landman family on Pongola Private for 20 odd years if he is aware of the big game hunter term and he was completely unaware.

1663451557475.png

@Dewald - don't know what to tell you, buddy, but this is what I know.

No sweat Tom. I love languages and learning new things about them.

Back when the area where the game reserves are now between the Hluhluwe river and the White Umfolozi it was King Shakas hunting grounds. The Amaphisi were the men tasked to hunt, but also drive the animals to the royals where they would spear them.

Out of interest Amaphisi Safaris is a small business operated by a chap called Jason Ireland. He is a phenomenal houndsman on bushpigs and a true ethical hunter. Operates in KZN and some areas in The Free State where the pigs are rife in the maize. True gentleman I’ve shared lots of campfires with.

I procured a Chapuis Elan chambered in 470NE last year from Gordy's in Houston and I've put over a hundred rounds through it, and I'm terribly happy thus far. She is taking her maiden voyage to Dande in Zim June 2023. I would have no reservations looking really hard at Chapuis. @Tom Leoni any chance an iphisi will be going to either of the Texas shows in '23?

I procured a Chapuis Elan chambered in 470NE last year from Gordy's in Houston and I've put over a hundred rounds through it, and I'm terribly happy thus far. She is taking her maiden voyage to Dande in Zim June 2023. I would have no reservations looking really hard at Chapuis. @Tom Leoni any chance an iphisi will be going to either of the Texas shows in '23?
Actually I was just at Gordy's a couple weeks ago and they have ordered an Iphisi. They should receive it between now and the next 6-8 weeks, depending on their spot in the backorder queue. You'll be able to see it once they get it!

I don't think we'll have one at any of the Safari Club shows in '23, since we have more demand than supply at this moment. But once we catch up in the next few months, we will probably have one at the '24 Dallas SC show.

Thank you for the positive comments!

Actually I was just at Gordy's a couple weeks ago and they have ordered an Iphisi. They should receive it between now and the next 6-8 weeks, depending on their spot in the backorder queue. You'll be able to see it once they get it!

I don't think we'll have one at any of the Safari Club shows in '23, since we have more demand than supply at this moment. But once we catch up in the next few months, we will probably have one at the '24 Dallas SC show.

Thank you for the positive comments!
Nice! I'll plan to go in and take a look. Thanks for the heads-up.

@Tom Leoni Based on this thread you are now the most popular member on this forum! Good luck now getting the production numbers up. It would seem everybody wants one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MairaRatle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.