CCI .22LR ammo

Jota Efe

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SAHunters ;SAGA;GOSA
Hunted
RSA and Mozambique
Has anyone tried the new CCI 40gr .22 LR ammo ? up to what type of game ?

I think the 22lr is best used for small edible animals or pests < 5 pounds. With precision, they can dispatch in that 10-15 pound but often require more than 1 shot in my experience. IMO jackal and red rox are approaching too large. Now if you just want something to die and don't care when, it will do just fine. This is a more outdated approach though...

A 22mag or 17hmr may be more appropriate and even then I wouldn't shoot anything over 30 pounds.

in my humble opinion, size up to rabbit. my absolute favorite use for my bolt action CZ 22lr is to practice shooting off sticks for my trips for larger game with my larger bore rifles. very similar setup including similar weight rifle, scope, etc. i am completely comfortable shooting off sticks now.

I think that the question is can you find any CCI 22 Lr ammo.

For hunting, small pest type animals up to the size of a rabbit. I would never try to shoot anything larger if I wanted to make sure of a humane kill. I have taken raccoons with it but they have been sitting still and all have been head shots.

It is great for practicing off of sticks or other positions. It is a lot cheaper to shoot than center fire rounds.

Thank you gentlemen for your feedback and replies!

I'm using CCI subsonic 40 grain lead hollow points at 1080fps out of a suppressed 23" barrel.

Up to Raccoon/Possum (maybe a Fox) inside of 100 yards with head shots or 50 yard body shots. Squirrel/Rabbit sized game to 100 yards is still pretty easy, but usually only shoot out to 50 or so because of where I shoot from.

I'm using CCI subsonic 40 grain lead hollow points at 1080fps out of a suppressed 23" barrel.

Up to Raccoon/Possum (maybe a Fox) inside of 100 yards with head shots or 50 yard body shots. Squirrel/Rabbit sized game to 100 yards is still pretty easy, but usually only shoot out to 50 or so because of where I shoot from.
Thank you for the feedback !

Welcome to AH. Squirrels and rabbits are right in that rounds wheelhouse. As BeeMaa suggested, raccoons, opossums and similar sized game with range and placement limits are possible.

Up to and including Cow elephant. But don't try it on a bull ele. Just too risky.
Bull Elephant requires a minimum of one frozen Herring. :ROFLMAO:

I use the 32gr copper plated Stinger, around the farm. Very satisfied with them. From tree snakes to slaughter cattle in the kraal. Have culled duiker at night at distances between 50 to 100m head shots. Flat shooting round for a 22

I use the 32gr copper plated Stinger, around the farm. Very satisfied with them. From tree snakes to slaughter cattle in the kraal. Have culled duiker at night at distances between 50 to 100m head shots. Flat shooting round for a 22
Hi Thanks Rudman for the feedback ! I have successfully used the old subsonic swartklip (which i still have a few boxes ) on duiker at night but never tried the cci ; just collected in jhb 3 boxes of cci 40gr 1435 fps (as written on the box ) ; they dont come cheap but I will feedback once used and tried. Rgds .

@Jota Efe The CCI ammo is superbly consistent for a non-competition product and is loaded with a nice clean burning propellant.

@Jota Efe The CCI ammo is superbly consistent for a non-competition product and is loaded with a nice clean burning propellant.

The 22lr may still be consistent (not sure, I have about 5,000 rounds of 10-15 year old stock mini-mags still) but the CCI 22mag / 17hmr are wildly inconsistent depending on the batch as CCI admits they use different brand powders from day to day. :oops: This would include Hornady, Norma, Federal, and Remington [at least pre-bankrupt] as they are made by CCI. CCI says "well this isn't match ammo and there isn't a market for match ammo". That's not the problem; the problem is their recipe and quality control are complete garbage because the 17hmr used to be scary accurate years ago. Now sometimes I get 1 hole groups and sometimes 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards - just depends on what CCI felt like doing that day...
It's best to buy a box, go to the range, and run out and buy a bunch more of the same lot number if it shoots good.

Unfortunately the Winchester/Browning brand isn't any better

Over the years, the guys at Rimfire Central have been petitioning Eley to start making the magnum rimfires but so far they are not interested.

The 22lr may still be consistent (not sure, I have about 5,000 rounds of 10-15 year old stock mini-mags still) but the CCI 22mag / 17hmr are wildly inconsistent depending on the batch as CCI admits they use different brand powders from day to day. :oops: This would include Hornady, Norma, Federal, and Remington [at least pre-bankrupt] as they are made by CCI. CCI says "well this isn't match ammo and there isn't a market for match ammo". That's not the problem; the problem is their recipe and quality control are complete garbage because the 17hmr used to be scary accurate years ago. Now sometimes I get 1 hole groups and sometimes 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards - just depends on what CCI felt like doing that day...
It's best to buy a box, go to the range, and run out and buy a bunch more of the same lot number if it shoots good.

Unfortunately the Winchester/Browning brand isn't any better

Over the years, the guys at Rimfire Central have been petitioning Eley to start making the magnum rimfires but so far they are not interested.
I was specifically referring to the 40 grain .22lr ammo. I had some Stinger years ago and that shot well out of the relatively tight-chambered barrel of my second Remington 597 (replacement provided after the original, early production 597 was sent back three times for malfunctions).

I have stayed clear of .17 HMR rifles and have always used Winchester .22 WMR 40 grain ammo in my .22 WMR rifles; although I have obtained some of the Winchester 45 grain subsonic to try out in my new Ruger American Target Rifle.

Back in the dark ages of the 50s when I was a kid we used mainly Remington 40gr lead or hollowpoints. I killed more deer with the hp than any other gun. I'd sit under an apple tree and pop them in the ear from around 50 feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross