Case trimmer for 404 Jeffery, advice needed

cmk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Sweden, Mauritius
Friends, I'll have to get me something to trim 404 brass soon. And it would of course be good if it could handle my other calibres as well (6.5×55, .30-06 and 9.3×62).

For the latter, I have been using the hand-held Lee cheap stuff, but I don't think it will handle the 404 cases.

I did some research (youtube) and it seems like Forster has a collet-based technique to lock the cases in place, and there is a kit with the trimmer and three different collets (for a total of 8 or 9 different head sizes). Also comes with 9 pilots (of which I only need one) .

Lyman has a trimmer with some universal locking mechanism, but I'm not sure if it will take the 404 case. It seems quicker to use than the Forster, though speed is not a primary factor.

So what are you 404 reloaders using to trim your cases? Either of these, or something else?

Would be nice if it could be driven by a power drill, rather than hand cranking it.

Thanks in advance.

cmk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Sweden, Mauritius
Additional info:

This is the Lyman trimmer I was thinking of: https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/case-trimmers-accessories/lyman-universal-trimmer.html . It does not say what max case head dimensions it can handle, just that it is up to ".458 magnum cartridges". These are mostly based on the .375 HH case, which is a tad smaller than the 404 case (I think the difference is about 0.011 in). Also, there is no specific pilot for the 404, but I guess that a slightly larger one could be sanded down.

The Forster Original Trimmer (https://www.forsterproducts.com/pro...onditioning-system/original-case-trimmer-kit/) seems to have collets and pilots that will work for all my calibres, as well as a power drill adapter.

So I guess that the Forster might be the better buy - though I like the sturdier look of the Lyman better. Also, I could not find an option for a carbide cutter for the Forster, but perhaps that is not really necessary..

Any thoughts welcome,

Attachments

• Screenshot (447).png
    Screenshot (447).png
    212 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot (448).png
    Screenshot (448).png
    235.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited by a moderator:

postoak

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia

Attachments

• Screenshot (449).png
    Screenshot (449).png
    112.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

cmk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Sweden, Mauritius
Ok, I'll look into that, though I'd probably want something 'better'. My experience with the Lee system is that after a few dozen cases, my hands start to get tired (yes, I work in an office :)

trg

Reaction score
I am not a reloader, the gunsmith i use sells a case trimmer he makes try little crow gunworks he has a web site and video of the trimmer. hope this helps

Spooksar

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
Forester all the way, they make 3 sizes and will do 99% of the cases out there, the only thing I haven’t been able to do is 585 Hubel. I do own all 3.

postoak

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
Do you use a power driver with your Lee case trimmer? I do, and my hands never get tired.

cmk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Sweden, Mauritius
I am not a reloader, the gunsmith i use sells a case trimmer he makes try little crow gunworks he has a web site and video of the trimmer. hope this helps
I've seen (videos of) it, and while it seems quick and good in many ways, I would need both the WFT2 with inserts for my 3 smaller calibres, and the BigBoy + insert for the 404. The cost for this would probably be twice that of the alternatives, if not more.

So no, not the primary alternative at the moment, but thanks anyway for the suggestion.

cmk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Sweden, Mauritius
Do you use a power driver with your Lee case trimmer? I do, and my hands never get tired.
Yes - I mount the cutter with the length gague in the power drill, and hold the "shell holder" and case in the hand. I know it's really supposed to be the other way around, but changing cases was a bit quicker.

Mounting it 'correctly' makes it easier to do chamfer/deburr though.

Still, my hand hurts after a little while. :)

cmk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Sweden, Mauritius
Forester all the way, they make 3 sizes and will do 99% of the cases out there, the only thing I haven’t been able to do is 585 Hubel. I do own all 3.

Yep, it seems like a quite complete setup. So maybe I'll go with this one.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
@cmk Interesting thread! My recent acquisition of a 404 Jeffery is motivating me to get back into reloading. I am going by a friends house tomorrow and use his equipment to reload some test loads for the 404. I will eventually start purchasing all the kit needed and set up my own reloading bench. I have loads of 7x57, 270, 30-06, 7mm mag, 338 WM and 375 Ruger brass that I have saved over the years.

I read this article recently: https://thegunzone.com/best-case-trimmers/

Not sure it makes the decision any easier.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Lyman does not make a pilot for the 404 Jeffery. I purchased a pilot for a 44 Mag 0.429" chucked it up in a drill motor and with a piece of sand paper between my thumb and forefinger pinching the pilot reduced it to the proper size in a few minutes. This was strictly trial and error but buy removing just a little metal and remeasuring the task is easily accomplished. Re. the hand cranking of the manual trimers it only takes a few rotations per case to get the job done and you can feel when the cutter has finished doing its' job. Unless you are reloading a lifetime supply I doubt that more than 60 cases will be reloaded at a time.

Matt_WY

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance, Wild Sheep Foundation, NRA
Hunted
US, Namibia
I have a redding and like it well. similar to forster I think. it has a micrometer so adjustment to precise length is easy. comes with several pilots and additional ones are cheap (5-7$).

cmk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Sweden, Mauritius
Ordered the Forster kit with some extra pilots. Thanks for the feedback.

/cmk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kelsey65I

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J