Case trimmer for 404 Jeffery, advice needed

cmk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Sweden, Mauritius, Namibia
Friends, I'll have to get me something to trim 404 brass soon. And it would of course be good if it could handle my other calibres as well (6.5×55, .30-06 and 9.3×62).

For the latter, I have been using the hand-held Lee cheap stuff, but I don't think it will handle the 404 cases.

I did some research (youtube) and it seems like Forster has a collet-based technique to lock the cases in place, and there is a kit with the trimmer and three different collets (for a total of 8 or 9 different head sizes). Also comes with 9 pilots (of which I only need one) .

Lyman has a trimmer with some universal locking mechanism, but I'm not sure if it will take the 404 case. It seems quicker to use than the Forster, though speed is not a primary factor.

So what are you 404 reloaders using to trim your cases? Either of these, or something else?

Would be nice if it could be driven by a power drill, rather than hand cranking it.

Thanks in advance.

Additional info:

This is the Lyman trimmer I was thinking of: https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/case-trimmers-accessories/lyman-universal-trimmer.html . It does not say what max case head dimensions it can handle, just that it is up to ".458 magnum cartridges". These are mostly based on the .375 HH case, which is a tad smaller than the 404 case (I think the difference is about 0.011 in). Also, there is no specific pilot for the 404, but I guess that a slightly larger one could be sanded down.

The Forster Original Trimmer (https://www.forsterproducts.com/pro...onditioning-system/original-case-trimmer-kit/) seems to have collets and pilots that will work for all my calibres, as well as a power drill adapter.

So I guess that the Forster might be the better buy - though I like the sturdier look of the Lyman better. Also, I could not find an option for a carbide cutter for the Forster, but perhaps that is not really necessary..

Any thoughts welcome,

Attachments

• Screenshot (447).png
    Screenshot (447).png
    212 KB · Views: 160
  • Screenshot (448).png
    Screenshot (448).png
    235.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Screenshot (449).png
    Screenshot (449).png
    112.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Ok, I'll look into that, though I'd probably want something 'better'. My experience with the Lee system is that after a few dozen cases, my hands start to get tired (yes, I work in an office :)

I am not a reloader, the gunsmith i use sells a case trimmer he makes try little crow gunworks he has a web site and video of the trimmer. hope this helps

Forester all the way, they make 3 sizes and will do 99% of the cases out there, the only thing I haven’t been able to do is 585 Hubel. I do own all 3.

Do you use a power driver with your Lee case trimmer? I do, and my hands never get tired.

I am not a reloader, the gunsmith i use sells a case trimmer he makes try little crow gunworks he has a web site and video of the trimmer. hope this helps
I've seen (videos of) it, and while it seems quick and good in many ways, I would need both the WFT2 with inserts for my 3 smaller calibres, and the BigBoy + insert for the 404. The cost for this would probably be twice that of the alternatives, if not more.

So no, not the primary alternative at the moment, but thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Do you use a power driver with your Lee case trimmer? I do, and my hands never get tired.
Yes - I mount the cutter with the length gague in the power drill, and hold the "shell holder" and case in the hand. I know it's really supposed to be the other way around, but changing cases was a bit quicker.

Mounting it 'correctly' makes it easier to do chamfer/deburr though.

Still, my hand hurts after a little while. :)

Forester all the way, they make 3 sizes and will do 99% of the cases out there, the only thing I haven’t been able to do is 585 Hubel. I do own all 3.

Yep, it seems like a quite complete setup. So maybe I'll go with this one.

@cmk Interesting thread! My recent acquisition of a 404 Jeffery is motivating me to get back into reloading. I am going by a friends house tomorrow and use his equipment to reload some test loads for the 404. I will eventually start purchasing all the kit needed and set up my own reloading bench. I have loads of 7x57, 270, 30-06, 7mm mag, 338 WM and 375 Ruger brass that I have saved over the years.

I read this article recently: https://thegunzone.com/best-case-trimmers/

Not sure it makes the decision any easier.

Lyman does not make a pilot for the 404 Jeffery. I purchased a pilot for a 44 Mag 0.429" chucked it up in a drill motor and with a piece of sand paper between my thumb and forefinger pinching the pilot reduced it to the proper size in a few minutes. This was strictly trial and error but buy removing just a little metal and remeasuring the task is easily accomplished. Re. the hand cranking of the manual trimers it only takes a few rotations per case to get the job done and you can feel when the cutter has finished doing its' job. Unless you are reloading a lifetime supply I doubt that more than 60 cases will be reloaded at a time.

I have a redding and like it well. similar to forster I think. it has a micrometer so adjustment to precise length is easy. comes with several pilots and additional ones are cheap (5-7$).

Ordered the Forster kit with some extra pilots. Thanks for the feedback.

/cmk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois