Case head protrusion 98 Mauser question?

...Glad you’re back.

Thanks. I'll never be "all back" but what's left of me is good to be here. I'm operating under my own steam and am told I'm doing terrific. God's been good to me.

I was glad to see you're still working on this one.
 
enhance
 

Attachments

  • enhance.jpg
    enhance.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 298
These are handy. One is for 55 degree mauser threads the others for 60 degree threads.
enhance


enhance


And thread gauges:

enhance



You need a good depth micrometer and a 0-1" and a 0-2" micrometer

enhance


enhance
 

Attachments

  • enhance-2.jpg
    enhance-2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 315
  • enhance-3.jpg
    enhance-3.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 309
  • enhance-4.jpg
    enhance-4.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 329
  • enhance-5.jpg
    enhance-5.jpg
    856.4 KB · Views: 293
  • enhance.jpg
    enhance.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 322
Did I say tool bits?

enhance


enhance



enhance


enhance
 

Attachments

  • enhance-2.jpg
    enhance-2.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 314
  • enhance-3.jpg
    enhance-3.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 295
  • enhance-4.jpg
    enhance-4.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 286
  • enhance.jpg
    enhance.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 297
Everything you need to know is in the books:

enhance


enhance


enhance


enhance


enhance


enhance
 

Attachments

  • enhance-2.jpg
    enhance-2.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 312
  • enhance-3.jpg
    enhance-3.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 292
  • enhance-4.jpg
    enhance-4.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 293
  • enhance-5.jpg
    enhance-5.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 328
  • enhance-6.jpg
    enhance-6.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 331
  • enhance.jpg
    enhance.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 268
Important to know is "Bolt Float". In the photos I am measuring prior to torquing the barrel. A case, or the go gauge, is in the chamber. Receiver screwed on hand tight.

Bolt pushed in:

enhance


Bolt against lugs: 0.005". When the barrel is torqued, you will lose 0.002" to 0.003", leaving about 0.oo2" float, OK for the average chamber. Mabe a little more for a DGR chambering so any brand cartridge will fit. Tighter for accuracey rifles.

enhance
 

Attachments

  • enhance-2.jpg
    enhance-2.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 288
  • enhance.jpg
    enhance.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 308
It seams like I quit the gun work but that is because I had to focus on firewood for the last couple weeks and small engine repair.
John I thank you for all the information I’m ready to do the barrel installation but holding off at the moment so I can catch up on other things that have been being ignored like keeping the family warm sighting in rifles and hunting.
As I walked past my gun cabinet I swear I heard one of them crying.
Shawn
 
It seams like I quit the gun work but that is because I had to focus on firewood for the last couple weeks and small engine repair.
John I thank you for all the information I’m ready to do the barrel installation but holding off at the moment so I can catch up on other things that have been being ignored like keeping the family warm sighting in rifles and hunting.
As I walked past my gun cabinet I swear I heard one of them crying.
Shawn

Yea I have been out for a long time with a MRSA infection in the lower leg and out of control high blood sugar. Now back on the mend and looking at forums again.

I will put up more chambering info later.
 
My pumped coolant system. Coolant is pumped through the barrel from the muzzle when chambering. flushes out chips, keeps the reamer cool, lubricates the cut, and the reamer stays sharp for many chambers. Coolant tank with pump is behind the lathe, on the floor. The pan catches the coolant and it is returned to the tank via a hose and strainer.

This method is about 10 times faster than the "Wipe & Brush" method and gives a very smooth chamber.


enhance



Muzzle end: Rotary union. Note the barrel centering "cathead".

enhance


Floating reamer holders. I use the big one on the top. Others are "So-So".

enhance


Reamers are held by this special No. 3 MT adapter I made. Bore is 7/16" to fit the reamer shank. The setscrews engage the flats on the reamer shank to prevent turning.

enhance
 

Attachments

  • enhance-2.jpg
    enhance-2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 276
  • enhance-3.jpg
    enhance-3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 314
  • enhance-4.jpg
    enhance-4.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 295
  • enhance.jpg
    enhance.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 326

Forum statistics

Threads
70,413
Messages
1,575,440
Members
170,327
Latest member
UPPStefani
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top