Canadian Documentation

Guster

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Here is some questions for Canadians who have travelled over to South Africa with firearms. I was informed I need to fill out an Export Form to take my firearms with me plus the following:
1) Letter of Invitation from my Outfitter ( which I have)
2) Copy of my flights (Which I Have)
3) Cover letter explaining the purpose, hoping some has a template or a copy I could use!!!!
4) And a copy of my Itinerary of my trip to South Africa( which I have requested)

If anyone can help with this please let me know

You will need TWO Export permits actually.
One for your firearms and the other for Ammunition and Scopes. (Different Export Control Numbers and apparently we have some treaty with a country to our south that determines whether certain "optical weapon devices" may be exported temporarily or not)

Online System
https://www.excol-ceed.gc.ca/Main-Principal/Home_Accueil.aspx

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ough-countries-with-weapons-ammunition.14376/

http://www.international.gc.ca/cont...ts/list_liste/forms-formulaires.aspx?lang=eng

Here's what I used as my cover letter

upload_2018-1-29_12-40-19.png

Sorry I don't have the actual word file for you.

I'm assuming you've been in contact with the govt. but if not, this guy will be a big help

serge.laurier@international.gc.ca

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical Invitation Letter
Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 12.41.40.png

Export Control Letter. Pdf attached.

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 12.43.11.png

Attachments

• Firearm Export Control Letter 2021.pdf
    41 KB · Views: 203
EXCOL PERMITS WITH ECL NUMBERS NOTED

SCOPE CARTRIDGE EXPORT EXCOL.jpg
FIREARMS EXPORT  EXCOL.jpg

Wrong Brickburn!

What's really shocking is how simple the process really is. And how helpful those in charge of it are!

That is very true Hank.

Here is some questions for Canadians who have travelled over to South Africa with firearms. I was informed I need to fill out an Export Form to take my firearms with me plus the following:
1) Letter of Invitation from my Outfitter ( which I have)
2) Copy of my flights (Which I Have)
3) Cover letter explaining the purpose, hoping some has a template or a copy I could use!!!!
4) And a copy of my Itinerary of my trip to South Africa( which I have requested)

If anyone can help with this please let me know
Good day, once you receive your Canadian export permit make sure that your serial numbers match. A buddy spent a couple days in Ethiopia on his way to Namibia because they didn't match. Very simple process as the others have said.

Good advice.
Always make certain those little details line up. The officials at every point of entry may decide to have a close look you may have an unpleasant surprise.

One very good reason I like to fill out all my forms at home while I'm relaxed and can review them at leisure. Keeping copies in the cloud or my email for retrieval anywhere I have internet access.

You may or may not be required to have your permits signed on return home by CBSA agent. Make sure you check and get it signed if required and return as instructed. CBSA agent will likely have no idea what to do so make sure you do.

You may or may not be required to have your permits signed on return home by CBSA agent. Make sure you check and get it signed if required and return as instructed. CBSA agent will likely have no idea what to do so make sure you do.

Exactly right TJ.
Technically we are all supposed to get the export permit signed when we return, thus proving temporary export.
I have never been asked and I never offer the permit up to CBSA.
The first time out of ignorance, the next from a desire to follow success. :)

For us it's been about 50/50 lately. Some required the signature and some had no place nor requirement for it.

I just recently recieved my permits for travel to Namibia from Canada,.

The folks here were very helpful , as well as Serge from the government.

Very painless to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg