Canadian Documentation

2007 flew from Toronto to Frankfurt to Jo Berg to Harare. That's how the agent booked it.
In 2007 you could still take firearms to Zimbabwe - I think I got a permit that year.

There are various ways you could circumvent the Zim embargo, if you were so minded.

Once the embargo was put on, I ‘acquired’ a .300 and a .375 through my PH in Zim. These are available to me when I am there, and otherwise, he rents them out and makes a bit of spare cash, some of which goes to making sure I have the ammo I need. Works well.

Personally, I find it way easier, and better for my beauty sleep - which I desperately need - to just comply with the rules the government has in place. It’s easy enough.

I always comply with the rules when they are made known to me. And in the future I will make sure I have all the correct paperwork. Sure find it interesting that
I have not spoke one person who has had a problem because they had not acquired this "Export Permit"! Seems to be a very well kept secret.

Final destination is all that matters in regards to permit requirement. Where you transit through is irrelevant but yes, some do try to beat the system on Zim hunts but still illegal.

I always comply with the rules when they are made known to me. And in the future I will make sure I have all the correct paperwork. Sure find it interesting that
I have not spoke one person who has had a problem because they had not acquired this "Export Permit"! Seems to be a very well kept secret.

CBSA agents are still relatively unknowledgeable about the rules so it's no surprise that people get through but it only takes once!

And isn't that a shame TJ.As Brickburn pointed out these departments are all "owned by the same government. Would it not make sense for the department who looks after Imports and Export to inform CBS of their requirments. As explained not many if any of the CBSA are informed.Nor are any of us told by our SCI Chapters, Fish & Game or Wildlife Assn. about this. I would be royally pissed if I had ever had a situation over this as I always try to make sure I have all my bases covered. When I get up in the morning I grab a coffee and usually check the financials or more likely hang out on AH.

Hanging out here always presents a double edged sword.
You will always be learning something and the other side has you plotting hunts. :)

And isn't that a shame TJ.As Brickburn pointed out these departments are all "owned by the same government. Would it not make sense for the department who looks after Imports and Export to inform CBS of their requirments. As explained not many if any of the CBSA are informed.Nor are any of us told by our SCI Chapters, Fish & Game or Wildlife Assn. about this. I would be royally pissed if I had ever had a situation over this as I always try to make sure I have all my bases covered. When I get up in the morning I grab a coffee and usually check the financials or more likely hang out on AH.
We've certainly done our part in educating as many of them as we can but yes, you'd think they all know the law! No different than bringing trophies home with you in luggage though.....very few are up to date on those laws either. I guess in fairness, it's likely most of them never have to deal with.

Well at least that's 1 reg I haven't broken. LOL

@Graham Hunter

I am surprised you didn't need the export permit? As I used a rifle importing service on my first trip to SA back in 2018. And I am currently doing the same for this trip now in May. Its two different companies and both gave me my list of required documents. And both had told me to get the Canadian Export Permit, and I even have to have them notarized by my lawyer. So even the folks in Africa know this.

Your shock that a customs officer didn't know the actual answer, shocks me lol. I can't count how many times I have dealt with Police, Customs, airline employees etc who didn't have a clue what to do. I have shown up to check in counter of Air Canada and walked the person through the process step by step as they didn't know what to do at all. I have had police harass me over rifles that "looked like a AR" while I am in the bush. But were in fact a non restricted semi auto. Once where they even made me sit in the car while he looked up the rifle make and model to be sure it was not a restricted firearm. I have had police harass me about a rifle in my truck while I am in it being unlocked. Perfectly legal as long as it is Non Restricted. I have come back from numerous hunts in the US where as Brickburn had mentioned you DO NOT require a export permit. And the customs guy didn't know what to do with me. They just immediately ask for papers. I asked what papers? He was like you don't have your papers? I asked which papers are you referring to, can you name the form #? He had no idea and was shocked that there was no papers. They called supervisors, who came and then called there managers. When all I need to show them is my PAL. I have even come home where coming through the line where you hand in your slips and they see the case and ask me is that a gun. I say yes. They ask me if its non restricted? I say yes. And they did not even send me to secondary at all. Welcome to dealing with people of power who don't bother learning there own laws. They are just trained on saying "Show me your papers".

I actually came here for another reason. Has anyone used Serge for their export permits lately? In 2018 I had sent everything to him. He sent me back the permits in 4 business days. I sent it to him again and its been about 10 business days and not even a response of receipt. I imagine they could be busy, I just was worried maybe he has moved on or something. I was debating doing the online portal now but am afraid he is actually working on it then I would have a duplicate.

Has anyone received anything from Serge in the last few months? I hate to overreact but just trying to see if he is still the guy.

Thanks

No idea if Serge is still in the department.
I'd complete the online application. Then follow-up with an email or phone call.

I want to report to all my fellow Canucks. Serge is live and well, and a Saint as per usual. I just spoke to him, and it looks like the email has changed and he did not receive the last one. I let him know he is a celebrity among gentleman and scholars on hunting forums hahaha. He got a good laugh out of that. Here is the new email.

serge.laurier@international.gc.ca

Last edited:
Glad he is still about the place.
He is always helpful.

Wanted to add to this. If any Canadians are planning on going anytime soon. The paperwork is taking way longer then usual. I submitted my documents on January 16. I still have not received them. I have been following up every two weeks as they keep telling me it's backed up and should be done in two weeks. They told me things have gone a lot slower as of late. Apparently South Africa is a non NATO nation and that is the reason. Yet last year I had my paperwork in a week. Just a heads up.

Just completed this process and figured I would keep this thread updated. Serge is still in the position and still providing outstanding service. Even while he went on leave he passed my file to another very capable and extremely helpful college. Paulette.Cheff@international.gc.ca Seems paperwork is still all as @BRICKBURN posted above. Very easy application, had permit in about 2 weeks. Probably due to Covid and lack of Canadian travellers I suspect.

MB

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know. There were a few issues reported due to mail room COVID issues for a while.
Glad that seems to have passed.
Thanks for the update.

Just completed this process and figured I would keep this thread updated. Serge is still in the position and still providing outstanding service. Even while he went on leave he passed my file to another very capable and extremely helpful college. Paulette.Cheff@international.gc.ca Seems paperwork is still all as @BRICKBURN posted above. Very easy application, had permit in about 2 weeks. Probably due to Covid and lack of Canadian travellers I suspect.

MB
Thanks for the update. Have a safe trip:)

Both Serge and Paulette (both been there forever it seems) are very helpful, but I think the key is to be a bit of a pest and make sure they have actually received your application. Once they have it, they can move pretty quickly. I sent mine in in late January for an April trip and having heard nothing by late March, I contacted Serge. He said it was probably still in the mailroom . . . Closed for COVID. E-mailed him a new copy and permit was issues within two weeks.

So check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross