Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
Mid September opening day of Saskatchewan Canada regular elk season was very good for our group. We took 4 elk for 5 hunters, a very productive day. Saskatchewan elk don't get much media exposure in the USA or overseas, I suppose mainly because we aren't allowed to share, the hunt is for residents only. So I thought you might enjoy seeing how we did.

The hunt was a walk of 2 km in the dark from our bush camp, locating the bulls by their call, and then waiting on trails or intercepting them and calling them as they move into the heavy cover at first light. We had at least 4 bulls bugling before dawn, and two groups of wolves howling and hunting them and their cows as well. This was all within a 2 km area. It was a short but exciting hunt. We can hunt either sex with over-the-counter tags, unlike most of the other elk ranges that I have read about. I passed up a cow in the morning and took an orphan calf in the evening by waiting at a feeding meadow. Not as much meat as those bulls, but delicious and I don't need any more bone on my walls. My old Brno 22f 7x57 is still doing its job well at 67 years of age.

IMGP0035_zpsjoz8ge5e.jpg
IMG_5038_zpsm0n97zrl.jpg

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
That looks like you guys will be eating well this winter.
Congrats on your prairie Elk.

Clayton

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
Congratulations. Elk are beautiful trophies. I envy you.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Awesome day, thanks for sharing! Been elk hunting twice, loved every minute

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
It's always a special time when you can hunt with the group over the years. Did you hang out a few more days and tell the ladies you hadn't had any luck?

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Man that's a trailer full of elk. Congrats to all the hunters!

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Have hunted ducks and geese in your lovely province several times and it is a bit surreal to have a bull elk wander through the decoy spread at dawn (or a group of pronghorn - did I mention a family group of mulies?). Amazing the game occupying tiny breaks in the middle of all those fields.

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Good going! Looks like a bunch of great eating. You especially gotta love taking them out whole. For many years we had to quarter them to get them out. Can be a ton of work. Most regular deer hunters have no idea how big they are. Last 6 years my group has been hunting where we can also get them out whole. Love it! My buddy has a shop where we can hang them whole till we're ready to cut them up. I don't get to elk hunt this year........ I'll be in Africa instead! Congrats Bruce

lcq

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
well done

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.42.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.42.19 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 118

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
Congrats on a great hunt! I think maybe next year you should take me with you...I definitely need some elk bone on my wall! ;)

Nice rifle by the way.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
Thanks for all your congratulations and encouraging words. It really is a special time each year spent with good friends and with a bonus of a freezer full of excellent meat at the end.
We spent the next couple days hunting grouse, butchering elk and blowing up beaver dams with tannerite - that's a whole other tale!

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
Have hunted ducks and geese in your lovely province several times and it is a bit surreal to have a bull elk wander through the decoy spread at dawn (or a group of pronghorn - did I mention a family group of mulies?). Amazing the game occupying tiny breaks in the middle of all those fields.
Ha! a couple years ago I was taking a beginner hunter on his first goose hunt just a couple miles from my home. We were in layout blinds among the decoys at dawn when he said "goose" to which I said wait until it gets in range and take the shot- but he really said " Moose" and was kinda confused by my order. A nice bull was walking by at about 60 yds. Spiced up the experience.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
You especially gotta love taking them out whole. For many years we had to quarter them to get them out. Can be a ton of work. Most regular deer hunters have no idea how big they are. Last 6 years my group has been hunting where we can also get them out whole. Love it! My buddy has a shop where we can hang them whole till we're ready to cut them up. I don't get to elk hunt this year........ I'll be in Africa instead! Congrats Bruce

Bruce, being in Africa is a pretty good consolation prize. At our hunt camp we can usually get them out whole if they cooperate a bit, packing with a tractor is way more fun than with packframes and feet. My Dad built a walk in cooler and we hoist the carcasses up with a cast iron hand winch that my Grandfather had installed on the homestead a hundred years ago. It is still doing its job for our family, just in a new location at our bush camp. I really appreciate these traditions and connections with family and the land.
P1010811.jpg
IMG_3410.jpg

kathy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Good eating, Good animals ,Good friendship. Thanks for sharing. Forrest

rinehart0050

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
Congrats on your success- nothing like a trailer packed full of elk to demonstrate how good the hunting is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiamhFrees

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh