Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
Mid September opening day of Saskatchewan Canada regular elk season was very good for our group. We took 4 elk for 5 hunters, a very productive day. Saskatchewan elk don't get much media exposure in the USA or overseas, I suppose mainly because we aren't allowed to share, the hunt is for residents only. So I thought you might enjoy seeing how we did.

The hunt was a walk of 2 km in the dark from our bush camp, locating the bulls by their call, and then waiting on trails or intercepting them and calling them as they move into the heavy cover at first light. We had at least 4 bulls bugling before dawn, and two groups of wolves howling and hunting them and their cows as well. This was all within a 2 km area. It was a short but exciting hunt. We can hunt either sex with over-the-counter tags, unlike most of the other elk ranges that I have read about. I passed up a cow in the morning and took an orphan calf in the evening by waiting at a feeding meadow. Not as much meat as those bulls, but delicious and I don't need any more bone on my walls. My old Brno 22f 7x57 is still doing its job well at 67 years of age.

IMGP0035_zpsjoz8ge5e.jpg
IMG_5038_zpsm0n97zrl.jpg

That looks like you guys will be eating well this winter.
Congrats on your prairie Elk.

Congratulations. Elk are beautiful trophies. I envy you.

Awesome day, thanks for sharing! Been elk hunting twice, loved every minute

It's always a special time when you can hunt with the group over the years. Did you hang out a few more days and tell the ladies you hadn't had any luck?

Man that's a trailer full of elk. Congrats to all the hunters!

Have hunted ducks and geese in your lovely province several times and it is a bit surreal to have a bull elk wander through the decoy spread at dawn (or a group of pronghorn - did I mention a family group of mulies?). Amazing the game occupying tiny breaks in the middle of all those fields.

Good going! Looks like a bunch of great eating. You especially gotta love taking them out whole. For many years we had to quarter them to get them out. Can be a ton of work. Most regular deer hunters have no idea how big they are. Last 6 years my group has been hunting where we can also get them out whole. Love it! My buddy has a shop where we can hang them whole till we're ready to cut them up. I don't get to elk hunt this year........ I'll be in Africa instead! Congrats Bruce

well done

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.42.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.42.19 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 187
Congrats on a great hunt! I think maybe next year you should take me with you...I definitely need some elk bone on my wall! ;)

Nice rifle by the way.

Thanks for all your congratulations and encouraging words. It really is a special time each year spent with good friends and with a bonus of a freezer full of excellent meat at the end.
We spent the next couple days hunting grouse, butchering elk and blowing up beaver dams with tannerite - that's a whole other tale!

Have hunted ducks and geese in your lovely province several times and it is a bit surreal to have a bull elk wander through the decoy spread at dawn (or a group of pronghorn - did I mention a family group of mulies?). Amazing the game occupying tiny breaks in the middle of all those fields.
Ha! a couple years ago I was taking a beginner hunter on his first goose hunt just a couple miles from my home. We were in layout blinds among the decoys at dawn when he said "goose" to which I said wait until it gets in range and take the shot- but he really said " Moose" and was kinda confused by my order. A nice bull was walking by at about 60 yds. Spiced up the experience.

You especially gotta love taking them out whole. For many years we had to quarter them to get them out. Can be a ton of work. Most regular deer hunters have no idea how big they are. Last 6 years my group has been hunting where we can also get them out whole. Love it! My buddy has a shop where we can hang them whole till we're ready to cut them up. I don't get to elk hunt this year........ I'll be in Africa instead! Congrats Bruce

Bruce, being in Africa is a pretty good consolation prize. At our hunt camp we can usually get them out whole if they cooperate a bit, packing with a tractor is way more fun than with packframes and feet. My Dad built a walk in cooler and we hoist the carcasses up with a cast iron hand winch that my Grandfather had installed on the homestead a hundred years ago. It is still doing its job for our family, just in a new location at our bush camp. I really appreciate these traditions and connections with family and the land.
P1010811.jpg
IMG_3410.jpg

Good eating, Good animals ,Good friendship. Thanks for sharing. Forrest

Congrats on your success- nothing like a trailer packed full of elk to demonstrate how good the hunting is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindiac

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg