Can you remember your first African animal?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Eventually_Africa_Again, Jun 14, 2018.

1. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Alright all the pics got me looking back at mine and reminiscing about the first time, lots of great memories!! Oh yeah and no grey hair yet and in much better shape (y)

DSC00112.JPG

2. Eventually_Africa_Again

Eventually_Africa_Again AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    That's an amazing memory.

ActionBob likes this.

3. Eventually_Africa_Again

Video/Photo:
    I assume he was happy with your shooting!

4. Eventually_Africa_Again

Video/Photo:
    My first was also a Blesbuck, I'm happy to see I'm in such good company!

jasyblood, ActionBob and Hogpatrol like this.

5. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
    Blue Wildebeest about 3 months ago :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2018

6. cls

cls AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, AHEIA
    Hunted:
    Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
    Great to read about every ones first African animal, although mine wasn't that long ago I remember it as if it was yesterday and it gives me goosebumps every time I look at the mount. Limpopo September 20/ 2012 (easy to remember as it was my 55th b'day and first week of retirement). Arrived at Cruiser early in the afternoon and sighted in the rifles, Craig my PH for the 10 days asked if we wanted to go for a tour and see what was around. I really wasn't all that keen but my wife said get your sh$t and lets go, so off we went. At last light we spotted something moving through the scrub, Craig the PH says we have to try as this is a huge lone Gemsbok bull. Off we go on a stalk through the African bush where I learn that all the bush here has thorns. After about a 30 minute stalk up come the sticks and with the worst case of the shakes I have ever had I squeeze the trigger, the .375 H&H barks and down goes my first African animal. This is where I learned that instead of standing there admiring my handy work I should keep on the animal and chamber another round, as he stood back up and started to head out. I was lucky enough that he wasn't moving fast and I got the second shot into him to call it a day. Learned a lot about hunting South Africa that first evening. Planning my fourth time in 2019.
    IMG_0316.JPG
    Not only did I get the African addiction that first evening in South Africa but I also had my first case of tick bite fever another African favorite that I soon won't forget.
    Looking forward to reading more first African animal stories.

7. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    Nope it still counts, besides I did us a favor. That’s one less immigrant gemsbok on government assistance. :LOL:

Royal27, BobT, sestoppelman and 2 others like this.

8. TTundra

TTundra AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
    Kudu 05/2016, about 2 hours after we sighted in

kudu2.jpg

9. Ross Reamy

Ross Reamy AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA - Life, DU - Committee Chairman
    Hunted:
    U.S, Mexico, Argentina, South Africa - Limpopo, North West
    5/19/17 Impala on the first morning with @Limcroma Safaris , I hope I never forget the sound of the impala rams during the rut! Can't wait to get back in 2019

africa 1.JPG

10. Bsto270

Bsto270 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Remember like it was yesterday. Last August. 2nd or 3rd night in the Eastern Cape, bushpig after having several come in, spook then run. Turned out to be a big old sow with some serious scars on her. Was happy as a clam. One shot with a 300 win mag through the shoulder. Shook so hard after all I could do was grin.
    FB_IMG_1526251746087.jpg

11. steve ahrenberg

steve ahrenberg AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Mine, Was fortunate enough to hunt a place called Nylsvley nature reserve in RSA. They had some animal reduction goals and I was hunting with the outfit whom won the rights. (Phillip Bronkhorst) I was walking after a blow stalk and we came across some bushpigs...in the daytime. I shot and missed. Turns out, good thing, they weren't on the allowed quota.

Not long after that, I killed a nice warthog, which was my first.

Hogpatrol, ActionBob and jasyblood like this.

12. buck wild

buck wild SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Brush Country Chapter
    Hunted:
    Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas
  13. firehuntfish

firehuntfish AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, USA, South, Central America & New Zealand
    Great thread! I can actually remember in detail every African animal I have ever taken. Very few of them were easy for me. The very first is always special though.... With all of the adrenaline flowing and not knowing what to expect, it is an experience that is hard to forget....

I shot this impala spot & stalk against the advice of my PH at the time. I begged him to drop me off and give me 1 hour and pick me back up on the road. It was early May and the rut was in full swing. Rams were roaring and chasing all over the place. I glassed one particular ram that was chasing the same group of females in circles all morning. I belly crawled to within about 50 yards of the females and crouched behind what turned out to be a very thorny tree! It was my first introduction to cat claws....

By shear luck, that ram chased those females right to me and he passed within 25 yards. He barely flinched when the arrow hit him because he was so jacked up on testosterone. He stood there trying to figure out what happened and then took off after the does a few seconds later ending up dead in the road about 50 yards away... I was back at the road waiting for the truck after 30 minutes.... 6 safaris later, and it has never been that easy again, but what a great start to my African addiction!

Africa 2009 019.jpg

14. rafaellinne

rafaellinne AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    Sable. September 1st, Tanzania, 2008.

ActionBob and Hogpatrol like this.

15. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    Like it was yesterday, kudu in my avatar, heart shot at 14 yards with a homemade cedar arrow that I sharpened myself and my trusty recurve!

16. MT Griz

MT Griz AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Namibia, USA- Montana, Alaska
    May 12, 2010. Save Conservancy, Zimbabwe. Day 0 of the hunt (official hunt was to start the next day). We went out and sighted the rifles in; both the 30-'06 and the 375 H&H. Both were shooting right on. My PH says we might as well look around we have about 1 and a half hours of daylight left. We come up over a small hill and the PH stops and puts up his binoculars. Zebra! he says, and they don't know we are here. They were about 3/4 of a mile down a gentle slope through open but broken cover. We hopped out of the truck and the tracker handed me my 30-'06 from the back of the truck. I remember thinking shouldn't I be using my 375 H&H on this zebra? Oh well I'm sure the tracker knows what he is doing. My PH with shooting sticks in hand and me with my rifle start down the hill with a light breeze in our face at a brisk walk moving from cover to cover closing ground on the prey. I could not even tell you how many zebras were in the small group. My focus was the one that we were closing on. They were kind of spread out feeding along very slowly. My PH stops behind a clump of brush about 50 yards from a zebra. He says let me check this one out. Puts up his binoculars and says it is a stallion. He moves the shooting sticks over to the left around the edge of the cover so when I placed my gun on them I would have a clear shot. The zebra was quartering towards me, head down feeding with its large head blocking his vitals. Now on the sticks my PH tells me to take the shot when the zebra turns and I have the shot I want. I was on the sticks safety off, finger on the trigger, waiting for the zebra to turn. Finally the zebra turns, crosshairs are behind the left front shoulder top of the lower third of the body, where is that heart again? I just looked at the diagram on the plane ride yesterday. BOOM! 200 grains of bullet impact the zebra. The zebra wobbles starts to take 1/2 a step and drops right there.....stone dead. the PH is ecstatic. Great shot, well done. We won't have to track that one! Out of nowhere the trackers show up with the truck, congratulations all around and photos. I have my first African animal. I guess I did remember my first!
    P1000190.JPG

17. JES Adventures

JES Adventures AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member of DSC, NRA and SCI
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Ethiopia, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Zambia. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
    @reedy0312 what year was that?

18. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
    Great stories and pics. Love 'em all. Keep them coming.

19. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    How could we forget our first African animal ?

August 18, 2008. A gemsbok shot in Rosevalley farm, Limpopo Province RSA.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. edward

edward GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
    my wife and my 1st safari in 2003 with blaauwkrantz safaris,i took a blesbok at 148 meters with my scope sighted contender in 375 win,my wife took a caracal with her scope sighted contender in 35 rem hunting with dogs.

blesbok.jpg mypictures116.jpg