Caliber question - Is a .375 H&H 300 grain solid tip enough for an Elephant?

Vic

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Is a .375 H&H 300 grain solid tip enough for an Elephant?

Yes if you are the visiting hunter.

Shot placement and straight line adequate penetration are the two main factors for a successful elephant hunt.

If it is of Monometal/Meplat design or Woodleigh hydros even better. The heavy for caliber 340 and 350 grainers are also excellent.

I have asked the same question to a couple of elephant PHes. Their replies were the same as IvW’s. The 350 grain is an excellent idea IMO!
If I can ever afford an elephant hunt, that’s what I will use since all I have is a 375 H&H.
Best of luck!

As an FYI, I used 350 gr Woodleigh solids for a side brain shot on a big Botswana bull. I don’t think the bullet even slowed down passing through that massive skull. I left extras with a friend who ranches there as he sometimes has to kill problem eles. He reports pass through on body shots with the 350’s. If you reload I would give them a try.

Glad to hear this feedback. I'm also planning an elephant hunt and intend to bring my 470 double for close-in shots and my blaser with a 375HH barrel for longer shots and a 300WM barrel for PG.

300 grain is plenty. I used them for one shot kill on my bull.

They are but for ele 350 are better, brings the velocity down a bit and gives better penetration

One shot kill. 300gr Peregrine VRG2 from a 375H&H. Side brain shot at 35 yards, complete pass-through.
As mentioned, shot placement is crucial though.
IMG_20191211_172449.jpg

For the last couple of years, a friend and a few of his clients have used the 300 gr Woodleigh Hydros I left him, and he raves about them. Has had to take several odd angled shots at departing elephant and buffalo with them. I am sure a 350 would be excellent.

Yes, a PH with a .375. Though he doesn’t have a Blaser R8 ..... yet.

Last edited:
.300 G fine, I've seen it work in person

For the last couple of years, a friend and a few of his clients have used the 300 gr Woodleigh Hydros I left him, and he raves about them. Has had to take several odd angled shots at departing elephant and buffalo with them.

Yes, a PH with a .375. Though he doesn’t have a Blaser R8 ..... yet.

The Woodleigh Hydros are impressive. I left some .458 Lott, 500 gr. Woodleigh hydros with a friend. He is very happy with their performance backing up on ele and buff.

PMP make a 286g solid for the 375 h&h here in SA , very good bullet with excellent penetration. Many elephants have been taken with this solid to the brain .

Is a .375 H&H 300 grain solid tip enough for an Elephant?
Simple answer is yes.

But very important to brain it. When I hunted elephant my PH said a 375 is just fine.... but if you are off a bit on your shot, a larger caliber with give more shock and more likely stun the animal, knocking it down and giving you time for a follow up.

Of course the catch 22 is that almost every client is more likely to shoot a 375 more accurately than something larger;) Another point, a smaller caliber tends to have better sectional density and penetrates better. A 375 loaded to specs with a 300 grain solid has really great penetration. And a 350 grain should be even better.

In my case the PH was very concerned about another bull very close to us potentially coming for us. So he was watching that animal rather than my quary. He had told me to shoot 3" behind the ear hole. I don't think he accounted for the perfect 90 degree angle the animal was at when i fired because the bullet hole was right there. The 416 Hydro solid missed the brain however it hit the neck vertebrae and knocked the animal down. I immediately put one between the shoulder blades and after getting closer (like 5 yards. It was down in thick grass and brush) a 3rd in the top of the head.

Another piece of advice. Unless you get the classic throwing the trunk up, back legs collapsing first brain shot... put another into the top of the head ASAP. Or get one through the chest vitals if you can't see the head. But put more lead into the animal before it has a chance to get up and run off. And if you don't drop it, try to hit the spine as it is leaving. But get lead into it!

My PH has a video where a client misses the brain but the animal drops. He turns around and wants to shake hands as the PH is literally begging him to shoot again. He is patting the top of head and pointing at the elephant. The elephant gets up and runs off as the PH is then shooting. He obviously did not want to shoot the clients elephant and there was plenty of time but the idiot client wasn't even looking. There is plenty of time for celebrating after all is secure. You also need to stay aware of your surroundings in case another elephant come charging in. It is Dangerous Game and they are killers!

It is an honor and privilege to hunt elephant! As well as potentially one of the best adventures you can experience. Enjoy:)

Glad to hear this feedback. I'm also planning an elephant hunt and intend to bring my 470 double for close-in shots and my blaser with a 375HH barrel for longer shots and a 300WM barrel for PG.
At least until you get an elephant down, you need to just leave the 375 barrel installed. And unless you are completely changing camps to a more open area where reallylong shots are likely, I don't see any reason to bring a 300WM barrel. Just use the 375 for everything you don't use the double for. It's not so much the barrel (although the barrel and scope add a fair amount of weight.)... But you also need extra ammo for the 300. Simpler is always better;)

At least until you get an elephant down, you need to just leave the 375 barrel installed. And unless you are completely changing camps to a more open area where reallylong shots are likely, I don't see any reason to bring a 300WM barrel. Just use the 375 for everything you don't use the double for. It's not so much the barrel (although the barrel and scope add a fair amount of weight.)... But you also need extra ammo for the 300. Simpler is always better;)
We ended up using the 470 for elephant; 375 for Hippo and hyena, 300 for bushbuck and impala.

You are correct- the 300 wasn't really neccessary. 375 would have covered everything smaller than the elephant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois