Cal. .416.

kristian55

AH senior member
Joined
May 11, 2009
Messages
90
Reaction score
4
Member of
crossbownation
Hi all.
Cal. .416 whether is absolute and sufficient for the complete scope of hunt in Africa.
Opinions and advices.
Thank you for your answers.
 
You cannot go wrong - just make sure you have the right ammunition for it. Use solids for the smaller game and mid-size and big game will go down well with your softs... as long as the loads are not tamperred with for extra speed etc.
 
I HAVE TAKEN ABOUT 40 TROPHIES WITH MY .416 WEATHERBY. ALMOST ALL WERE ONE SHOT KILLS INCLUDING A 44" CAPE BUFFALO THAT WENT 1 BODY LENGTH. HAVE SHOT A .416 RIGBY BUT IT WAS NOT AS EFFECTIVE AS THE WEATHERBY. THE WEATHERBY RIFLE WAS A DISASTER BUT THE CALIBER IS AWESOME AND I NOW SHOOT THE CALIBER IN A CUSTOM MADE EMPIRE RIFLE.
 
I HAVE TAKEN ABOUT 40 TROPHIES WITH MY .416 WEATHERBY. ALMOST ALL WERE ONE SHOT KILLS INCLUDING A 44" CAPE BUFFALO THAT WENT 1 BODY LENGTH. HAVE SHOT A .416 RIGBY BUT IT WAS NOT AS EFFECTIVE AS THE WEATHERBY. THE WEATHERBY RIFLE WAS A DISASTER BUT THE CALIBER IS AWESOME AND I NOW SHOOT THE CALIBER IN A CUSTOM MADE EMPIRE RIFLE.

If I may ask, which weatherby rifle, and what went wrong with it?
 
Shallom is 100% on this......the .416's are a great calibre for Africa, more "thump" than a .375, but still able to reach out for Eland, Giraffe, Etc without too much bullet drop.
 
Bullets for .416

Ryan / Rod:

Do either of you have a recommendation for a .416 expanding bullet?

I have hand-loaded solids "nailed" with groups less than 1 inch at 100 yards. I'm a couple grains of powder under "MAX" and can quickly shoot through a full magazine without feeding problems or case sticking.

I have not yet developed an expanding bullet load that groups well. I was thinking of TSX, Nosler Partition and Swift A-Frames as the likely options.

Your opinions would be much appreciated.

- browningbbr
 
MY 416 WBY WAS A MARK 5, BUILT IN JAPAN AROUND THE END OF 1990'S. THE FLOORPLATE RELEASE WAS A SPRING LOADED PIN ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE TRIGGER GUARD. CURRENT MODELS HAVE A RELEASE ON THE INSIDE OF THE TRIGGER GUARD. I RAISED THE RIFLE IN A BLIND IN AFRICA TO SHOOT A 'HUGE' LEOPARD. THE FLOOR PLATE OPENED AND THE SHELLS FELL ON THE FLOOR OF THE BLIND. THE CAT LEFT. THE FOLLOWING YEAR I TOOK A SET SCREW, DRILLED AND TAPPED THE FLOOR PLATE FRAME AND PREVENTED THE FLOOR PLATE FROM OPENING. THE FOLLOWING YEAR THE SAME CAT CAME TO A SECOND BLIND AND I CANCELLED HIS TICKET. HE WENT SCI-#50. CAN YOU IMAGINE IF THE FLOOR PLATE HAD FAILED DURING THE CHARGE OF A LION OR BUFFALO? I GOT RID OF THE RIFLE. A FRIEND HAD THE SAME MODEL ABOUT 50 NUMBERS FROM MINE. I MADE HIM TAKE MY MODIFIED FLOOR PLATE TO AFRICA AND HE WAS CHARGED BY A DUGGA BOY. KILLED IT WITH ONE SHOT TO THE HEAD. SEKURU
 
Hi Kristian 55 , its a complete rifle for any African expedition need to carry correct bullets and the grainage , just place the shots perfect to a neat kill ..

Monish
 
Sorry Browningbbr for the late response...
i have had excellent performance with the TSX on my .416 Rem and also recommend the Swift A's. Cheers,
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,281
Messages
1,570,511
Members
168,895
Latest member
Rosaura46P
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top