Bullet question

Speedster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Still a ways off but I am wanting to go back to Africa in 2023. With the scarity of ammunition, I am getting mildly concerened. Last time I used 180 Grain Barnes TTSX in 30-06. I do not handload so they were bought off the shelf. I have not seen any type of Barnes available anywhere so I might have to try another bullet. I was thinking something with 165 grains since the biggest thing I am interested in is Nyala. Any recommendation(s) for a brand that might be more available. I did see in a store 165 Grain Sierra gamechanger. I have no idea if they are suitable but they were definitely priced as premium ($62).

If you're diligent and are not adverse to shopping online, you'll eventually find all that you need. I've seen Barnes factory 180-grain TTSX on the shelves of my local Sportsman's Warehouse recently. Oh, I should have mentioned that you should be ready to overpay for things especially if you buy them at gun shows.
And to your question: I see a fair amount of Hornady rifle ammo on the shelves. It never lasts long.
Good luck.

If you get desperate there's some on gunbroker on and off. I'm going in July of 2022 and I wanted 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tips because I think they take my trusty 06 to a different level. The only place I found them was gunbroker and I paid too much for them but they are sitting safely in my ammo locker just waiting to get on the plane. Great peace of mind. Good luck on your search!!!

Still a ways off but I am wanting to go back to Africa in 2023. With the scarity of ammunition, I am getting mildly concerened. Last time I used 180 Grain Barnes TTSX in 30-06. I do not handload so they were bought off the shelf. I have not seen any type of Barnes available anywhere so I might have to try another bullet. I was thinking something with 165 grains since the biggest thing I am interested in is Nyala. Any recommendation(s) for a brand that might be more available. I did see in a store 165 Grain Sierra gamechanger. I have no idea if they are suitable but they were definitely priced as premium ($62).

I don't know that this will be of much help or not. But do you have any friends that hand load that might help you with a load? If so, I was in the garage looking to thin the herd if you will of bullets, they're just the projectiles. But this is what I have and we could certainly negotiate a reasonable price for them. I'm not trying to gouge anyone, just get back close to what I paid for them.

1) 180gr TSX - 17 of them
2) 180gr TTSX - 2 of them (laugh if you must...)
3) 150gr TTSX - 10 of them
4) 168gr TTSX - one full box

Perhaps use the other weights with some IMR4350 to see if that powder works as it so often does in .30-06. If it works, then home in on a load with the 168gr TTSX while looking for another box. I'm quite certain the 168gr TTSX will handle an Nyala just fine.

You may think this is a crazy idea, but crazy times we live in. Let me know if you're interested.

Keep your eyes open and check your local stores with some regularity and you should have plenty of time to find what you want/need. However, prices are up even at "regular" MSRP in stores. Prices go higher yet at gun shows and Gunbroker, but it could be peace of mind to spend a little extra and know you have them. Personally, I'd wait until 6-12 months before the hunt and only then consider the gun shows or GunBroker options.

Just my .02

Hendershots is only taking orders over the phone: $60 for 180 gr TTSX

Choice Ammo has 49 boxes in stock at $86/box

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 7.39.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 7.39.26 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 7.39.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 7.39.28 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 59
I can't say enough good about the Sierra 165 gr. Game Changer in a 30.06. I would have no fear with that bullet in a nyala.

I also know that the Sierra 180 gr is very good ammo. You can find them in Federal ammo. Had a buddy that just make a 400 yd. kill on an elk last week.

Shooters pro shop has 180 gr Accubond available right now in .30-06 loaded ammo. I do like the gamechanger bullet out of my 7mm stw tho. I don’t think there’s a hurry to buy either, you have time to shop if you are patient-I am not patient. . .

Found these online if you want them go for it

for the record I do not know these folks or work for/with them just found them through ammo seek

Attachments

• 87A52D79-B6CC-47D5-9A12-D547D6139DE5.png
    87A52D79-B6CC-47D5-9A12-D547D6139DE5.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.55.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.55.41 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.55.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.55.44 PM.png
    616.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.55.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.55.47 PM.png
    420.1 KB · Views: 55
What l have seen the Gamechanger will perform much like the Hornady ELD-X
Have you checked the Barnes website?

I don't know that this will be of much help or not. But do you have any friends that hand load that might help you with a load? If so, I was in the garage looking to thin the herd if you will of bullets, they're just the projectiles. But this is what I have and we could certainly negotiate a reasonable price for them. I'm not trying to gouge anyone, just get back close to what I paid for them.

1) 180gr TSX - 17 of them
2) 180gr TTSX - 2 of them (laugh if you must...)
3) 150gr TTSX - 10 of them
4) 168gr TTSX - one full box

Perhaps use the other weights with some IMR4350 to see if that powder works as it so often does in .30-06. If it works, then home in on a load with the 168gr TTSX while looking for another box. I'm quite certain the 168gr TTSX will handle an Nyala just fine.

You may think this is a crazy idea, but crazy times we live in. Let me know if you're interested.
Phil:

I think I found some ammo. Thanks anyway for the offer.

Can you source any Sako Hammerhead soft points for your .30-06 Springfield? They are very a fine bullet for African plains gam.

Can you source any Sako Hammerhead soft points for your .30-06 Springfield? They are very a fine bullet for African plains gam.
Hunter-Habib,
Our local gun store has a few boxes of Sako 250 grain Hammerhead's in 338 WM....since I have no experience with this bullet or ammo, I am kind of hesitant to try it out....do you have any experience with it in your 338 WM? What is the max distance you would shoot with it? Do you think it is good for up to eland?

Hunter-Habib,
Our local gun store has a few boxes of Sako 250 grain Hammerhead's in 338 WM....since I have no experience with this bullet or ammo, I am kind of hesitant to try it out....do you have any experience with it in your 338 WM? What is the max distance you would shoot with it? Do you think it is good for up to eland?
Cape Buffalo,
I have never used Sako Hammerheads in .338 Winchester Magnum caliber. But I did use 220Gr Sako Hammerheads in a .30-06 Springfield (a Remington Model 30 Express) for hunting an eland bull. It was a single broadside heart-lung shot behind the shoulder and the eland folded within 30 yards of running. I for one, was completely satisfied with the terminal performance.

I have absolutely no doubt that the 250Gr bullet will be absolutely lethal out of a .338 Winchester Magnum for even the largest elands out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.