Bullet Performance Database

Speer .224 55gr Varmint SP (4711)
MV 2650 fps
IV 2060 fps, 2000 fps, 1840 fps

I'm experimenting in water jugs to determine the suitability, expansion, and max effective range of these bullets from my 22 hornet combination gun for use on tiny ten, jackal, small/medium game, coyotes, etc. Based on my limited research it seems that water jugs are a good proxy for bullet expansion on game, but not penetration (need ballistic gel for that).

I chose this bullet because you can buy it dirt cheap in bulk (<$100 per 1,000), it shoots sub moa in my gun, has a high b.c., but short enough to work in a 1:14" twist 22 hornet, and isn't explosive like the plastic tipped bullets for less ruined pelts.

I emailed Speer tech support to ask about minimum expansion velocity and frag potential and they replied: "This bullet will expand down to around 2000 fps. As far as exact velocity where the line of expansion and fragmentation is has not been tested."

I'll probably shoot a few more to fill in the gap between 188yd and 225yd, and also at 25yd just to make sure the bullets hold together, but it seems to be pretty tough at hornet velocities.

How many OCD AHers are bothered by my random yardages?
View attachment 399012View attachment 399013
Edit to show same bullets at different angles
@Rimshot
I might have to give them a good in my 22k hornet. I know the 52 grain Speer hollow point flat base won't stabilize in mine . Maybe these will
Bob

@Rimshot
I might have to give them a good in my 22k hornet. I know the 52 grain Speer hollow point flat base won't stabilize in mine . Maybe these will
Bob
Per Speer these 55 SP are .685" nominal and the 52 HP is .705" nominal, so there's a decent chance, especially if it's 1:14 twist. It may be at the marginal limit for my gun, especially if I were to try in very cold temps. But so far in moderate temps (50f-80f) about 800' MSL they're very accurate/sub MOA to 250 yards (haven't tried further).

Just to make sure it wouldn't come apart I shot them into a 55 gal drum off my deck with good results besides my taking a cold shower (jacket/core intact with 35gr weight retained). VERY pleased that they work so well because I already bought 10,000 of them when I found a deal!

I gotta buy more jugs now to do maybe 205 yd next

20210426_164835.jpg

Forty years ago when I was water jug testing bullets I found that of the "big three" speer, Sierra & Hornady (Nosler was just getting into the standard bullet market), Speer gave the best expansion characteristics. and I agree, water jugs give a good test of relative bullet performance.

444 Marlin, 320 gr. Cast Performance, .430 diameter, 2000 FPS. Broadside through a bison chest at about 50 yards, made a hole in the hide on the off side but stuck in the hide. Retained weight is 299 gr. and it expanded up to .508. This was my first experience hunting big game with cast bullets and they performed about as well as you could ask for.
IMG_1913 Texas.jpg
IMG_1912 Texas.jpg

jdh- The cast bullet doesn't appear to have/or had a gas check. At 2000 fps do you get any lead fouling in your barrel?
It had a gas check when it started out but lost it somewhere along it's way.

Norma Oryx 375H&H 300 gr factory bullet shot at a Sable this weekend in Limpopo by a friend of mine. The shot was at approximately 60 meters and the animal was almost broadside. The bullet broke the near shoulder destroyed the heart and lungs and was recovered just under the skin on the opposite side it weighed 18 Grams which is approximately 277 gr.

A92A3A21-0CE1-4748-8840-652FFBA8A887.jpeg
2EC892BC-0320-4402-8FE7-2B17CCD950F9.jpeg
4A204312-0F2D-4E6F-9358-829F19C62CEF.jpeg

Due to ammo shortage, this is my first time with trophy bonded bear claws. This is 300 grain 375 H&H federal premium safari. I set up cooler at 75 yards with some folded carpet, a box of dirt, then filled to top with water. I recovered bullet on far side of cooler in foam 33 inches.
4AD1A115-5992-47D9-BF33-8E92160E6421.jpeg
06A22A83-2DF5-4CEA-8C1C-33015D68EAF6.jpeg

375Fox, that looks excellent! I have only read good things about the TBBC. Several companies have/are making similar versions including Rhino and NorthFork (if they ever get back into production).

375Fox, that looks excellent! I have only read good things about the TBBC. Several companies have/are making similar versions including Rhino and NorthFork (if they ever get back into production).
I was really happy with it. I was able to buy some 300 grain woodleigh protected points too. I tried the same set up today but they penetrated further with small exit hole and went into the bank behind the target. I tried digging out the bullet and sifting the dirt but still couldn’t find them. I’ll get more creative tomorrow. I really want to see how they perform also.

I was able to recover a 300 grain woodleigh protected point today from my 375 h&h. I stacked a couple buckets with wet dirt and old carpet at 75 yards. Muzzle velocity listed on box is 2522. I was a bit disappointed with results because I thought they could be a substitute if needed for buffalo but I don’t think that anymore. I don’t think they would do well on heavy bone based on today. Included is a side by side with a TBBC from yesterday as a comparison.
59165D11-3417-4250-A557-1B97BC84179C.jpeg
3B4BBC0E-7A03-4C0B-96EE-205A045E3FCB.jpeg
CE7A2EE7-DF7F-4846-9B57-1C2B1210244D.jpeg
7999530D-3882-4278-B6C2-EBB72EE3C56E.jpeg

I was able to recover a 300 grain woodleigh protected point today from my 375 h&h. I stacked a couple buckets with wet dirt and old carpet at 75 yards. Muzzle velocity listed on box is 2522. I was a bit disappointed with results because I thought they could be a substitute if needed for buffalo but I don’t think that anymore. I don’t think they would do well on heavy bone based on today. Included is a side by side with a TBBC from yesterday as a comparison.View attachment 402272View attachment 402273View attachment 402274View attachment 402271
@375Fox
I think the woodleigh would still do the job. It was a different setups for the Woodleigh and the TBBC so I don't think it is a fair comparison ,
Bob

@375Fox
I think the woodleigh would still do the job. It was a different setups for the Woodleigh and the TBBC so I don't think it is a fair comparison ,
Bob
I’m going to take both with me to Zimbabwe in September and hopefully I can recover a couple woodleighs from plains game, but TBBCs will be reserved for buffalo. Ammo is too hard to come by now to do too many more tests even though I’d like to.

I’m going to take both with me to Zimbabwe in September and hopefully I can recover a couple woodleighs from plains game, but TBBCs will be reserved for buffalo. Ammo is too hard to come by now to do too many more tests even though I’d like to.
20200409_085629.jpg
a 225 grain 35 cal Woodleigh PPSP recovered from a big zebra stallion. Shot at 120 yards and impact velocity was over recommend max.
It smashed both shoulders and wrecked the internals. I can't see the Woodleigh failing. Woodleigh also make a heavy jacket 300 for your 375, have a look at their catalogue.
Bob
20200125_105551.jpg

Not a buffalo by any means but a decent sized stallion.

ben kk found the softer ones to be lacking on water buffalo, but the harder ones to be adequate.
if in doubt use swift or bearclaw types.
from personal experience, swift will open up a bit on smaller game, while holding together on bigger game.
one bullet does all = kiss principle
bruce.

if in doubt use swift or bearclaw types.
from personal experience, swift will open up a bit on smaller game, while holding together on bigger game.
one bullet does all = kiss principle
bruce.
I fully agree but unfortunately ammo is tough to come by so I have what I have. Good thing is TBBCs and woodleighs are almost same point of impact at 100 yards so I can interchange them.

Due to ammo shortage, this is my first time with trophy bonded bear claws. This is 300 grain 375 H&H federal premium safari. I set up cooler at 75 yards with some folded carpet, a box of dirt, then filled to top with water. I recovered bullet on far side of cooler in foam 33 inches.
I really like the TBBCs. Have had very good luck with them in my 35 Whelen. Have some 400 grainers for my 416 RM but need to settle on an accurate load. They are not cheap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois