BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Hi folks,

I'm building a bit of a Do it all .22 rimfire

Needs to do the following things.

1) Mimic some of my bigger rifles in terms of weight and feel
2) Shoot .22 lr at long range (200 and 300 yds) so needs a 20" barrel*
3) Be useable for running boar targets (so mount and swing cleanly)
4) Still work as a bunny gun
5) Have iron sights for practice

So, in meeting those criteria I decided to go with a CZ452 Varmint.

Having a 20" barrel and a bit of weight in the stock is a good combo for most of the above but it doesn't have any iron sights.

So, main issue, sighting.

Mounting a 3-12x50 Hawke with an adjustable objective was an easy choice for telescopic sight. It's got a good mag range and for target shooting at 300 the aiming mark is fairly large so no issues for targets and varmints.

Running boar there are a couple of options. Most competitions require you to use a scope of some form but also do hunting with a red dot sight on my 9.3x62 for hunting so a flexible option of mounting a red dot is needed. I also tend to take the .22lr to the shooting cinema for a warm up with. The logical answer seemed to be a rail and I managed to find a CZ dovetail to weaver option with 30 MOA of cant so that will help get to 300 yds. Also got helps with mounting a reflex red dot. Iron sights were more of an issue. My 9,3x62 has a cocking piece mounted peep sight. (See picture below)

aoprl0al.jpg

yH7rTaC.jpg

And I use the 9,3 in "historics" competitions as the rifle is a bit of classic with the red dot sight removed.

So, a rear peep on the .22 lr was required. I tried to use a Skinner rear peep but this trim little sight just sits too low for the stock shape combined with my face. (Varmint stock so built for use with a varmint scope). Ended up using my NEGC weaver peep sight on top of the rail. (Better position and doesn't need me to take the rail off so perhaps that's really a win).

5tb2nw4.jpg

(A bit too low to get eye to with Varmint Stock)

Here’s the NEGC sight in situ.

TScneJnl.jpg

M8Fsleal.jpg

As you can see, sits rather higher and so fit’s better with stock.

Anyway, no front sight on the barrel. So, needed one of those. Liked the look of the Williams Shorty front ramp. Then realised it came in 4 heights, possibly for good reason. Now, here is a question. What front sight do I order? No idea how really to find out. I had asked Skinner sights what they suggested and Rob there suggested a good idea: Cable tie on the front of the barrel which you then clip to height as you shoot. When you clip have elevation you want, order the ramp and foresight combination that gives you the correct height. With some scepticism I headed to the range, cable tie foresight in place and tried it. You know, it actually works.

A0HWfall.jpg

(Yes, it’s a bit hokey and you wouldn’t want to have to rely on it but surprisingly it wasn’t wholly unuseable either)

So, ramp and foresight combo ordered, then it will be off to the gunsmith to get it fitting.

Williams Front Ramp

542316.jpg

567981.jpg

More pictures to follow with more work done.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

(*) To shoot out to 200yds and beyond you need to use sub sonic ammo as .22 lr bullets when shot subsonic don't tend to do well going transonic at ~125-150yds. Also you need about 60MOA of come-up from 50 to 300 yds so the mounts do have some cant).

Last edited by a moderator:
The 452 is one of the best 22’s ever built IMO, wonderful rifles. I have several including a grand finale and a full stock model in 17 HMR. Delightfully accurate rifles! I blasted the bunny population at my folks place the summer I bought that FS 17!

@Bullthrower338

452 is very good. I have only excellent experiences.

However, depending of what best means (hunting, plinking, target shooting, etc), my favorites are Brno 2, and for target shooting Brno 4 (this one is very rare). They also have more riflings then standard 452, under the theory that more rifling helps accuracy.

Modern CZ rimfires went to variety of forms for this or that application, but somehow I doubt the quality compared to this old designs. However with new models (457 line) I dont have expereince.

Hate to cause thread drift, but where did you get the cocking piece peep for the 9.3? It looks awesome! is there space for a scope over it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 9.55.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 9.55.12 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 9.55.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 9.55.14 AM.png
    913.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 9.55.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 9.55.41 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 9.55.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 9.55.42 AM.png
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 100
The CZ's are great rifles and I almost bought one, but flipped a coin and bought a Tikka instead. Another great rifle that would most likely meet the criteria laid out above. Very accurate, handy and has heft.

Shooting cinema is where they play tactical or hunting situation on the screen and you shoot, live ammo of course.
It is usually electronically controlled, hits are monitored, etc

1629360276929.png

Good man!
@Scrumbag
What happened to pip pip cheery oh, I say some dam fine shooting there old chap, keep up the good work what.
That's right you aren't one of those high class snobs, your a regular sort of person, I forgot that.

@Scrumbag
What happened to pip pip cheery oh, I say some dam fine shooting there old chap, keep up the good work what.
That's right you aren't one of those high class snobs, your a regular sort of person, I forgot that.
My dear chap, I usually do speak like that, just tend to tone it down in front of the colonials - makes 'em a touhc nervous, what.

Toodle pip

@Scrumbag
And wearing tweed and tie, while shooting, I suppose?

How is going with this 22 project? looking fwd to see results!

My dear chap, I usually do speak like that, just tend to tone it down in front of the colonials - makes 'em a touhc nervous, what.

Toodle pip
@Scrumbag
I say old chap that is rather good of you to tone it down for the colonials but I say we colonials can understand you pretentious upstart pommy gits very well.
We just like taking the Mickey out of you.
Ha ha ha ha
Toddler pip old chap and remember all is fair in cricket.

@Scrumbag
I say old chap that is rather good of you to tone it down for the colonials but I say we colonials can understand you pretentious upstart pommy gits very well.
We just like taking the Mickey out of you.
Ha ha ha ha
Toddler pip old chap and remember all is fair in cricket.
Well, at least one half of us understands, Bob ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg