Building A Dangerous Game Rifle

Far from an expert but perhaps sweep to bolt handle up a bit so that it is easier to work the action with palm of hand ?

Got some good ideas from Terry Wieland's 'Dangerous Game Rifles' when I built my 505 Gibbs

@IvW - I know some people prefer the peep sight, have you considered the express V? Any opinion on a reddot? I see more reddots on DG rifles lately and everyone tells me they shoot it better and faster than open

I

I really agree with your rifle build. I would go with a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock, but that is just personal choice. One question what barrel length have you decided on. My preference would be 22”.
We gonna stick with 24 and check the balance and then chop if needed to 22 before blueing

@IvW - I know some people prefer the peep sight, have you considered the express V? Any opinion on a reddot? I see more reddots on DG rifles lately and everyone tells me they shoot it better and faster than open
This is not a peep sight but rather a ghost ring much better and faster than express V. We are considering fitting a qd Aimpoint sight as well.

This will be exclusively a guiding/backup. She is 19 so eyesight is still good. Red dots are good but is something that cann be damaged where as the ghost ring would be more robust.

Far from an expert but perhaps sweep to bolt handle up a bit so that it is easier to work the action with palm of hand ?
Bolt is already straight and perfect for "palm of hand" operatiin

Safety has to change. Although I have never had any issues with my standard ZKK safety(that works the wrong way around it has some weaknesses.
1. I have seen people bump the rifle on to safety when high speed closing the bolt.
2. If using the african carry or just carrying the gun barrel forward it is easy to have the safety brushed into the fire position

Daughter sais Pepper or Nutmeg.....or a nice piece of Walnut.....

Dangerous game is not dangerous until it gets close up with intent. So I like your ghost ring idea. You need to make the rifle easy to carry for a 19 year old gal. Get a good canvas sling and a two-screw inletted sling swivelon the butt stock that won't twist when it's carried. I second the three position m70 style safety and the 22 in. barrel. Get her a stock that FITS and lots of 404 ammo. Fit a Pachmyr Decellerator pad. As you know, this is not a heavy recoiling round, but it hits hard. Just takes some shooting to become accustomed to the rifle and shoot with confidence.

Last edited:
Nutmeg, or a good piece of walnut....

Quite fancy one of those for my 500 Jeffrey....do they fit straight on...or need fitting?
They fit straight on you just need to transfer your trigger....

Daughter sais Pepper or Nutmeg.....or a nice piece of Walnut.....
I have a few rifles with Boyds stocks in both Laminate and solid wood. I always preferred the solid wood over the Lam. I have had two Jeffs built for me and had wood stocks installed on both, I think solid wood stocks look better than the lam especially on an old school 404

Wood or laminate are more conducive to custom stock fitting. I don't know if any of the composite stock manufacturers include any provision for cast off/on or differing comb height, for example. The beauty of the old Mannlicher Schoenauers was that they did have cast off and many other nuances which caused them to feel so much more like a shotgun when used with open sights.

The beauty of the old Mannlicher Schoenauers was that they did have cast off and many other nuances which caused them to feel so much more like a shotgun when used with open sights.

MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details 02.jpg

MS Cast off WMark.jpg

IVW,

like your choices. i don't like hooded front sights, (even pop up) i think the tough, low light, large bead front sight is the right answer.

re the stock, i think the laminate (what ever color you like) is a good choice, a touch heavier, very stable and tougher than regular wood. they even have pillars in them i believe, so bedding should be a touch easier.

good choices all around in my never to be humble opinion

Reactions: IvW
Wood or laminate are more conducive to custom stock fitting. I don't know if any of the composite stock manufacturers include any provision for cast off/on or differing comb height, for example. The beauty of the old Mannlicher Schoenauers was that they did have cast off and many other nuances which caused them to feel so much more like a shotgun when used with open sights.
A good stock maker will fit a stock properly to the shooter including cast off or on

IVW,

like your choices. i don't like hooded front sights, (even pop up) i think the tough, low light, large bead front sight is the right answer.

re the stock, i think the laminate (what ever color you like) is a good choice, a touch heavier, very stable and tougher than regular wood. they even have pillars in them i believe, so bedding should be a touch easier.

good choices all around in my never to be humble opinion
I have since desided exactly what you suggest on the front sight....no hood proper front sight but we might add the pop up low light front sight....she may want o start with the rifle as 375 H&H with custom 340gr bullets which will out penetrate 500gr 458 bullets at lower recoil than the 404....so we will see.....with a added qd scope setup she will also have a true allrounder to compliment her 30-06 and 308/12ga comination gun.
This is not a backup rifle par say but rather a last resort back up guide gun for walking safaris. As always shot placement is nr.1. And penetratiin is king for elephant.....
Wounded and followed up elephant is a different ball game...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg