Buffalo or hippo on land

Also consider that most solitory bulls found on land during the day although mature will be smaller weaker bulls that have been pushed out of the main pods by the bigger older dominant bulls. In rare cases this could be the older bull that was pushed out by a new stronger bull. Not easy to judge. I have shot many hippo at night under pac senarios and although this is very exciting and dangerous there is no way of selecting a trophy unless the said animal is a known loner and a big bull...

I’ve hunted both.
E94C3B36-C8A6-4215-9DC2-0A906087A402.jpeg
6CBC7B02-64C0-4A52-827C-FD55DCDFFFA0.jpeg
8619FBF7-49D0-478F-9D89-316DF49FBDE1.jpeg
C744EB9F-FF91-4582-A827-17C15503C39A.jpeg
9C19B47D-5DB4-41FB-B417-DAB6503B08AE.jpeg
C4B7AFE5-9E7F-467F-BA21-2DCBE6BBE10C.jpeg
46F60286-B913-407A-B957-9EC82D639263.jpeg
903AC246-BBD4-4E2F-AAE1-CA6D9A18DDB5.jpeg
BF47A701-AB73-4F90-9DCB-FED9E108E777.jpeg

41898A8F-5E24-47C1-A053-C34016A452D2.jpeg

D9990116-5B92-428E-8A32-424C2FC0AE3B.jpeg

I’ll have to say that Hippo on land are far more thrilling than Cape buffalo (which are of course, plenty thrilling as is). This is just my personal opinion.

I was able to hunt my first buffalo earlier this year and it was one of if not the most exciting hunts I’ve ever had. We had a great stalk, got close and closed the deal on a nice Buffalo. I enjoyed it so much I have already started working on getting buffalo hunts scheduled for 2024 and 2025. All that being said, I plan on trying to hunt a hippo, on land if possible, in 2023. The more I’ve looked into the hippo hunt, the more excited I get. I don’t think you could go wrong either way. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you and we’d all love to hear all about it and see the pictures. Thanks

Spot on, apart from the fact that more often than not the solitary bulls will be alone or with another.

I have a simple way of deciding what to follow (let’s disregard track characteristics for now) I tend to follow 1 - 3 bulls. Encountering groups of 5 - 15 bulls together is not uncommon in our area but these groups are made up of various age groups.
More often than not the 1 - 3 bulls together will be what we want, that is what I concentrate on.

On hippo I usually do extensive scouting and isolate big bulls these bulls we then stalk in their beds, more often than not we will find these solitary bulls grazing early morning.
Bedding mid-day and starting to move just before dark again.
A completely different hunt and while there is some tracking involved more often than not it is not the process followed when buff hunting.
Once again bachelor groups are the way to go, I do not find it fun to shoot a bull out of a herd of 600 animals or a herd of any size for that matter.

My very best.
Correction: Solitary bulls of 1 - 3 together will in my experience be older.

I hunted Hippo on land this past August. The Hippo would come out to dry land during the "cooler" parts of the day, but would go into the water when it heated up. We never saw a decent bull on land. Only smaller bulls and cows. I think if you hunted them in small pools of water in the woods it may be a fun hunt. But hunting them on the edge of a big lake is not much of an exciting hunt. I think even if I had gotten a shot at a bull on land, it would've probably been kind of non eventful. As the bull would've either dropped in his tracks, or dove into the water. GO BUFFALO HUNTING!

I hunted mine at night, in Mpumalanga.

I have a video in MP4 format, no idea about how to insert it.
That would be great go see. Maybe Jerome or @BRICKBURN can help

One day we are slipping around about 80-100 yards off the edge of the water looking for a decent crocodile. This is when we noticed a big bull hippo about 15 steps off to our right, and above us, taking a nap........ we were now between him and the water....... we slipped up a little closer when he woke up suddenly. Wondering if he was a trophy or not did not matter at that point...............

P1020131aa-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hunt proper buffalo over and over again, it is one of the most rewarding hunts you can do. I enjoyed my hippo hunt but it didn't compare to experience of a buffalo.

I can't provide any input on hippo. However, after two buffalo hunts which both included days and days of tracking, stalking through grasses above your head, circling around dense bamboo, finding where they bedded, busted by wind, listening to them bang their horns against trees as they depart, having one stop on the far hill 300 yards away looking back then swaggering off over the ridge, etc. finally ending in success. I look to hunt buffalo again, and hopefully again, and again... '-)

...It sounds like getting on a bachelor group of old buffalo is the hunt to consider. I welcome what others have experienced with these situations.
On my hunt in Lukwati North this past fall, my PH did not want to pursue herds of buffalo. He felt that the bachelor groups held more challenge and better chances at a good bull. So that is primarily what we did. Plenty of buffalo and lots of 'dugga boys'. It was exciting.

On Jerome´s advice, I uploaded my hippo video on Youtube

Hippo was 23 meters away.

I am fairly confident that shooting a hippo on land would be very exciting and challenging hunt, but you don't read about this type of hunt over and over and over again like you do a real tracking buff hunt in a big wild area!! I hope to shoot a hippo on land someday but meanwhile I will go Buffalo hunting on every trip to Africa I make as long as I am able.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross