Buffalo or elephant?

Now I want a buffalo

having hunted both, I would prefer buffalo. I haven’t heard Dr Robertson talk about the sense of regret after elephant but I felt it after my elephant. Elephant was for sure more tense than buffalo (not that walking close a a buffalo herd as the sun sets is exactly relaxing!) But for me at least, I have little interest in another elephant hunt and I’d dearly love to hunt buffalo again.

Both! I took both a few years ago and will go again in August. Each n incredible experience.
For those who have hunted both, which would you rather go back for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have never hunted ele or buff. But being from South Africa i have been very close to both, ele just has that "Shit your pants faster" thing going for it when they get irritable.

But if i may ask, why is Tuskless cows most rewarding?
They are THE most dangerous. That is what I’ll be after soon.

The big cow. The one on the right. Ease up to that tree and give her a side brain.’ Ok. Eased up to the tree. No shot, thanks to another tree. Stepped out for a shot. The side brain then became a frontal brain as she spun 90 degrees and lifted her head and swung it back and forth, seeking out the movement, trying to pick up an odor. “Pick your spot. Low in the trunk.“. Swinging the rifle like shooting a bird now, cause the head is moving six foot side to side, at 18 steps. No changing your mind now. All kinda hell is about to break loose among this herd of cows.

Elephant

Have done one of each on the same hunt (bull buff, tuskless cow). Both were amazing hunts, but elephant wins in my book by far. Nothing like it.

They are THE most dangerous. That is what I’ll be after soon.

Potentially deadly dangerous. I wasn’t hunting them but was surrounded by them in all directions and they were just furious. A fifty year‘s experience dangerous game PH leans over and says “this is the most dangerous conditions I’ve ever been in hunting”.

Trying to navigate the bush with cows and tuskless scenting you repeatedly, charging and stomping in all directions, agitating other cows with calves, getting the entire bush riled up,…not fun, but memorable.

Potentially deadly dangerous. I wasn’t hunting them but was surrounded by them in all directions and they were just furious. A fifty year‘s experience dangerous game PH leans over and says “this is the most dangerous conditions I’ve ever been in hunting”.

Trying to navigate the bush with cows and tuskless scenting you repeatedly, charging and stomping in all directions, agitating other cows with calves, getting the entire bush riled up,…not fun, but memorable.
Ah come on it is great fun....

... Early in my elephant shooting days, I had a lot to learn. Of course, I listened to all the sage advice proffered by the trackers, P/H, and safari operator. One evening, after a long day of chasing elephant, we were having a sun downer by the fire, and I was asked if I knew where the elephant's sex organs were located? Feigning ignorance, I replied: "No, where?" He replied, with a straight face....

"In their feet, because if they step on you, you're FCKD!"

IvW is right - Tuskless are the most demanding. I shot three - when hunting bulls you rarely will have to do a hasty retreat, but with the Zambesi ladies that happens rather often. And you will see many Ele on your search for the right tuskless. On a hunt in Dande South some years ago I counted 89 Ele until the right one came along, and No. 126 was the second....

I've never hunted either but I'm trying to get into an elephant hunt after my plains game hunt in July. I just think we'll be hunting buff for the next hundred years but elephants might get shut down a whole lot sooner. Its a personal goal of mine to get one of those big guys before I go after buffalo. Not trying to take anything from a buffalo hunt, I'm just a bit more urgent for the elephant. And tuskless sounds like the way to go. Just my two cents lol

Very tough question as it depends on the location. I assume you mean Cape Buffalo, you cannot discount the Dwarf Forest. If this was asked 40 years ago I would say elephant all day long. As @WAB mentioned, if price was the same today, elephant, I agree. If you are talking about hunting Cape in Tanzania or Zimbabwe, then I would choose buffalo. Its a loaded question! Has anyone hunting with Rainer Josch Safaris. Their mountain Buffalo hunt sounds awesome.

Blonde or Brunette? Why should you have to choose? There's room for both in this lifetime. Having hunted both, Elephant is next on my list. I will not turn down another old scrum cap buffalo if the opportunity arises.

I’ve shot one buffalo and hope to hunt them several more times. I’ve never hunted elephant and truth be told, don’t have a desire to. HOWEVER, having seen numerous videos (one in particular), read a lot of accounts and talked to a couple of people, I can see the attraction.
Note: When in Zim, our vehicle got chased by a cow with calf. We were parked and watching from maybe 150 yds. She took offense and headed our way. Our driver made a road where there wasn’t one. Another time we saw a bull cross the road about a half mile ahead. As we passed it charged out and chased the vehicle. Very exciting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you