Buffalo Leg Bones

Stubbleduck

AH senior member
Joined
Jan 28, 2023
Messages
68
Reaction score
117
Media
6
The PH (Marco DuPlessis / Afrika Barrel & Bow Safaris) suggested I have the Metacarpals (Cannon Bones) from the front legs of my Cape Buffalo retained and included with the cape and skull / horns in the dip and pack material to be sent to me. Didn't think much about it but am now kind of wondering what to do with them. These are just the bones, not the hide and hooves. I suspect one could have some interesting bone carvings done but other than that nothing comes to mind. Might anyone on this website have any other ideas or maybe any artists who do such carvings?
 
No idea about Buffalo bones but your post gave me the idea that a giraffe bone probably could be mad into a cane or walking stick.
 
A custom knife with buffalo bone handle would be awesome
 
How about a lamp? Or only a centerpiece on your table, or bookends on your shelf?
 
There are some amazing buffalo bone handle knives out there. Great idea!
 
No idea about Buffalo bones but your post gave me the idea that a giraffe bone probably could be mad into a cane or walking stick.
A giraffe bone is actually pretty hollow inside. Remembering biology back in school isn’t that where the white blood cells are made ? . Anyway I brought a leg back for a knife maker to use on the handle. It wasn’t easy for him.
 
A giraffe bone is actually pretty hollow inside. Remembering biology back in school isn’t that where the white blood cells are made ? . Anyway I brought a leg back for a knife maker to use on the handle. It wasn’t easy for him.
Capping the bottom end and the pouring full of fibreglass resin may be an option then if the cavity is open the entire length of the bone
 
I have two custom knives that have handles made from the bones of a Blue Wildebeest and a Kudu.
They are beautiful.
 
I have 4 giraffe bones carved with the "Big Five". Two are carved on the horizontal and two are vertical. I'll try to get some pictures.
 
Here's what you can do with Ele Leg bones
IMG_4340.jpg
IMG_4341.jpg
IMG_4342.jpg
- carved in Zimbabwe.
 

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
you could probably figure out how to make a pipe out of some of it
 
I bought this carved giraffe leg bone at a fair outside Outjo, Namibia some 6 years ago. I would like to get another bare one and have an image of the different species I have hunted in Africa carved on it.

IMG_0608.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Who are you guys using to get those carvings done.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,305
Messages
1,572,275
Members
169,517
Latest member
JadaBridge
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top