Buckshot & Leopard- Fact Or Fiction?

Absolutely thrilling, thank you, Bapu. Sound like you used a BRNO ZP-49. Good solid guns, my friend. Although the ejectors are often problematic when using shells loaded with shot weights above 32 grams. You have confirmed my assessment. A headshot with L.G shells will not penetrate a leopard’s skull. But a throat shot (like yours and the kind I used to take the first tiger) is feasible.

Were you issued the L.G shells by the forest department? Because L.G shells (and buckshot, in general) was banned for civi possession in India in 1980.

Your friend,
Habib
Habib Saheb it a ZP-49. LG I managed.

Fantastic, my friend. What make and caliber of rifle is that? I’m guessing the caliber is .30-06 ? Lots of my Indian friends have recently begun to prefer this caliber over the old IOF .315 bore rifle (basically an 8x50mm R).
Habib Saheb it M70 pre 64 30-06 topped with S&B1.5-6x42 crosswire and tappered post reticule. 180 SP

Habib Saheb it M70 pre 64 30-06 topped with S&B1.5-6x42 crosswire and tappered post reticule. 180 SP
Beautiful. Just call me “Habib”. No formality. The 180Gr soft points were Sellier & Bellot, maybe.

Hunter Habib has very much experience wih a lot of various shotgun ammo and any kind of terrains and weathers. So he has seen and done the most, if he say something about a gun or cartridge its true,tested and verified.
Thanks, Per. Some experience I wish I didn’t have! Thinking of going after man eating Royal Bengal tigers with shotguns again gives me anxiety!

Beautiful. Just call me “Habib”. No formality. The 180Gr soft points were Sellier & Bellot, maybe.
Yes sir Sellier & Bellot. I only use them coz only they are available and moreover have also zeroed my scope on them. Have shot most of my maneater leopards with them. They preform excellent. One shot kills.

How much did this man eater weigh? I’m sure it was exciting hunt.
73kgs

3364EB54-BFE7-488C-AB38-EE1E3A8E3751.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'll start the conversation up again. How about #6 bird shot? If you hit him in the eyes and blind him, he can't eat what he can't see.

You guys all have some full-on brass balls! My respect goes out to you.
Ha, ha, no, Mort Hill. I’m nowhere as brave as you give me credit of being. I did it out it of compulsion. As a matter of fact, in the case of the first man eater … I only stepped in after a complaint was filed to the Chief Conservator against me and my officers (that we weren’t doing everything in our power to stop the tiger after the Ministry of Forests had issued the Death Order for the animal).

Made a great deal of stupid mistakes too. It took me and my men 11 tries (over the course of two weeks) before I finally managed to shoot the first one.

OK, I'll start the conversation up again. How about #6 bird shot? If you hit him in the eyes and blind him, he can't eat what he can't see.
Assuming that you’re being serious, the answer is that this is a very bad idea. When a leopard charges, it is always at very close range. 9 out of 10 follow ups for wounded leopards result in a charge. The animal waits to ambush you and the only warning sign you usually get is a low guttural growl. Assuming that the #6 birdshot blinded him mid-charge, it would not stop him from still landing on you (at which point, we already know what’s going to happen). Besides, leopards and tigers (while deficient in the sense of smell) have exceptionally keen hearing. Even while blinded, they would manage to locate the hunter if you were close enough.

Assuming that you’re being serious, the answer is that this is a very bad idea. When a leopard charges, it is always at very close range. 9 out of 10 follow ups for wounded leopards result in a charge. The animal waits to ambush you and the only warning sign you usually get is a low guttural growl. Assuming that the #6 birdshot blinded him mid-charge, it would not stop him from still landing on you (at which point, we already know what’s going to happen). Besides, leopards and tigers (while deficient in the sense of smell) have exceptionally keen hearing. Even while blinded, they would manage to locate the hunter if you were close enough.
Yes. I was serious about the idea. But respect experienced opinions.

Yes. I was serious about the idea. But respect experienced opinions.
Oh, forgive me. I was unsure if you were joking or not. When I was very young, a similar idea once ran through my mind like yours (but I contemplated using BB instead of #6)

View attachment 307874 It is definitely not fiction . 32 leopards have fallen to the 12 bore twelve pellet SG cartridge at my hands . Even two of my four Royal Bengal tigers were killed with this type of ammunition. When we used to reload our cartridges due to low availability of fresh cartridges in Darjeeling , the ideal solution was to treat the cartridge with hot wax from bees. We would pour hot wax over the pellets which would hold the shot together , thereby reducing spreading and increasing range a little. However , it is an inconsistent performer at any distance greater than ten feet . I learnt to content myself with a 12 bore Ishapore side by side two trigger shot-gun loaded with SG in both the barrels , because that was what l had . If l had good central fire calibre rifle , l would have used that instead. Today , modern fire arms have made such risky practices antiquated.
The picture you see was taken in 1969 and it was the last of the four Royal Bengal tigers which l had shot. My proud late father lies on the freshly removed skin , still red at the edge . I killed it with two barrel's worth of SG shot ( 24 pellets ) at it's neck at a distance of 7 yards .
This is one of the few color pictures which l possess of that time.
That looks like red backing cloth to me, also it looks like it has taxidermist glass eyes . Are you sure your memory is serving you correctly here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!