BSA Sporter .303

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Morning all.

Back in July, I celebrated my 30th birthday and received this rifle as a gift from my family. Thought y'all might like to see it. Based on the proofs, I date it between 1904 and 1925 and a marking on the receiver suggests it was sold out of service in South Africa or thereabouts, so there's probably a few interesting stories in this gun that I fear I'll never uncover. Military-style stock/buttplate with checkering at the wrist and forearm, dust-cover Lee-Metford/Lee-Enfield action sans clip guide with a swept-forward bolt handle and bolt-mounted safety, 5-round sporter/carbine magazine, SMLE-profile barrel with a hooded foresight, rear sights are a trio of fixed/leaf express and a ladder. The sling is floral-tooled leather with a pair of buckles for adjustment. I think I'll have it copied with untooled leather and brass buckles and then have some matching ones made for other rifles. Alas, my camera's been out of commission and my phone's camera is having some focus issues so I can only offer the photos from the listing for now, but here goes.
1632144726510.png
1632144756496.png

1632145070543.png
1632145327800.png

1632145432458.png
1632145534952.png

1632145917093.png
1632145936629.png

Always thought that was a classy style rifle! Never came upon one when I had enough jack in my jeans to own.

Very nice. Looks like someone created a "Lee Speed" style sporter from an original Mark 1. If South African, then almost certainly an original a Boer War rifle. South Africa had little need to acquire additional arms until WWI and the No1 Mark III. Cool thing.

Very nice. Looks like someone created a "Lee Speed" style sporter from an original Mark 1. If South African, then almost certainly an original a Boer War rifle. South Africa had little need to acquire additional arms until WWI and the No1 Mark III. Cool thing.
The serial number, all of which are matching that I can find, has an S after it and I wonder if that meant "Sporting" or "Sporter" or some such. If it's a modified military rifle, it was probably an officer's carbine or a cavalry carbine because of the swept-forward bolt handle (probably the former from the magazine). But without being able to go through BSA's records, I can only guess.

There are original factory sporting rifles with the Lee Speed patent markings and also the custom gunmakers offerings with the factory actions and then there are the numerous adaptions on the theme from the ex mil actions with a myriad of styles incorporated and it really only makes a difference to the died in the wool originality collector. For the vast majority of us these rifles are just as interesting and usually have a wider pool of stories (moslty untold) that give them an aura that matches (in our eye anyway) that of the original factory offerings. You have a really nice rifle there and one so many here will appreciate.

There are original factory sporting rifles with the Lee Speed patent markings and also the custom gunmakers offerings with the factory actions and then there are the numerous adaptions on the theme from the ex mil actions with a myriad of styles incorporated and it really only makes a difference to the died in the wool originality collector. For the vast majority of us these rifles are just as interesting and usually have a wider pool of stories (moslty untold) that give them an aura that matches (in our eye anyway) that of the original factory offerings. You have a really nice rifle there and one so many here will appreciate.
I certainly agree with you there. This rifle has a century or more of stories it could tell, and with some fortune may tell a few more in the future. It's still a pity that with BSA's records gone, I doubt I'll be able to learn a lot but all in all, this rifle fits me pretty darn good.

Very nice indeed. Can you show a picture of the markings under the RH side of the receiver (under where the bolt closes). The Lee Speeds' were only so marked until the patents expired but the military issued BSA s should have the crown. Whether you have an original Lee Speed or a nicely done adaptation, you still have a very nice rifle, full of history.

Very nice indeed. Can you show a picture of the markings under the RH side of the receiver (under where the bolt closes). The Lee Speeds' were only so marked until the patents expired but the military issued BSA s should have the crown. Whether you have an original Lee Speed or a nicely done adaptation, you still have a very nice rifle, full of history.
I hope this is where you mean. There were only a few letters on the underside plus these on the bottom of the barrel. I didn't see a crown anywhere. For what it's worth, the barrel's serial number matches the rest of the rifle. Apologies for the picture quality.
KIMG0874.jpg

I hope this is where you mean. There were only a few letters on the underside plus these on the bottom of the barrel. I didn't see a crown anywhere. For what it's worth, the barrel's serial number matches the rest of the rifle. Apologies for the picture quality.
View attachment 425482
The wrist metal connecting the buttstock and the forend on the right side.

The wrist metal connecting the buttstock and the forend on the right side.
Oh there. Nope, just has "B.S.A.Co" on the right side and the opposite is blank.
KIMG0876.jpg

Oh there. Nope, just has "B.S.A.Co" on the right side and the opposite is blank.
View attachment 425484
Interesting. So likely not an original military rifle. Could have been a private purchase by a British officer before deployment for the Boer War and ended up left on the continent.

I suspect it does indeed have stories it could tell.

Interesting. So likely not an original military rifle. Could have been a private purchase by a British officer before deployment for the Boer War and ended up left on the continent.

I suspect it does indeed have stories it could tell.
I'm inclined to think so too.

Oh, now wait a second...

Well hello. The bottom one looks awfully familiar:
1632177650349.png

That No. 4 Sporting Carbine looks exactly like mine (give or take an inch or two on the barrel, I think), right down to the hooded front sight and barrel loop/sling swivel holding the forearm on. Photo was found on another website, which also has a rather nice case some fellow did for his officer's carbine. I'll have to get one of those my own self, I think.

(Edited because I'm not allowed to link to another forum.)

Last edited:
And now... a brief google search for "lee-enfield no 4 sporting carbine" returns this:

Which aside from the Royal Navy markings, 10-shot magazine, and magazine cutoff, is pretty much exactly what's sitting next to my desk right now! Even the S following the serial number.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 6.07.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 6.07.24 PM.png
    632.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 6.07.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 6.07.27 PM.png
    701.8 KB · Views: 182
Thats really nice. I think you are on the right track, a No. 4 Sporter. Congrats!

i am hoping this link is allowed

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.44.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.44.21 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.44.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.44.22 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 271
The style of the rifle is consistent with a BSA commercial action. I suspect your rifle is post 1914. It was after that date the the patents expired and BSA no longer engraved the "Lee Speed Patents" on the wrist.
Also remember that BSA made commercial actions which they supplied to the Trade. Its was then the retailers who did the fitting up with stocks etc and sold to the public.

Last edited:
The style of the rifle is consistent with a BSA commercial action. I suspect your rifle is post 1914. It was after that date the the patents expired and BSA no longer engraved the "Lee Speed Patents" on the wrist.
The forum I wasn't allowed to link to suggested as much, too. I had already suspected it was at least post-1904 from the barrel proofs, so I doubted it would be a Boer War-era rifle as Red Leg suggested.

The exact model wasn't listed in the 1908 or 1909 editions of the BSA catalogue per the link from Von Gruff, either, but it does show up in the 1912/1914 edition on pp. 16 & 17.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.44.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.44.39 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 211

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you