huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
What is everyone's opinion on the browning x bolt medallion in a 375 h&h? My wife forced me to go to a store that was having a huge sale to get some winter stuff for the kids. When I walked in I was looking at the guns and they had a brand new one on sale for 800 dollars. I have been playing with the idea on a new rifle but was really leaning towards a 300 until I saw this gun. What would you do? Does anyone know about them first hand?

Sure!

It is a very pretty gun made out of good materials and you don't have to worry about the temper of the steel. Great quality control and you won't have to send it to a gunsmith to straighten out out so that a new gun will feed properly.

If you like it....but it.

Best of luck.

I prefer a CRF rifle, but that’s a great price

One thing I am thinking is being military and never knowing where I will end up is the 300 more versatile for the smaller lower 48 animals? What's the average distance you can get out of one? Is it less than 200 yards?

These are great guns and a great price. The shiny finish doesn't take much abuse but it's easy to peel off and redo with oil. They function flawlessly and are very accurate. As far as caliber the 375 is more versatile than the 300. You can load lighter bullets and achieve everything the 300 will do or load it up for DG and Africa.

These are great guns and a great price. The shiny finish doesn't take much abuse but it's easy to peel off and redo with oil. They function flawlessly and are very accurate. As far as caliber the 375 is more versatile than the 300. You can load lighter bullets and achieve everything the 300 will do or load it up for DG and Africa.

I'm not a reloader and dont think I will get into it for another 10 years until I retire or get out of the military. So it will be all store bought rounds for me for a while

I own a bunch of Browning’s, they are great. Use a good bullet, with good glass and you do your part you should have a great shooter. I like a lighter trigger than they give 2.5 lb, and hate creep so I take mine to a gunsmith and he takes care of it for like $65. That is just personal though.

@huntinlabs You live in Alaskan, you need a 375! Go for it! I recently found a great deal on a left hand A-Bolt Medallion with a Leupold scope and bought it for a son-in-laws birthday gift. Browning makes nice rifles!

I have long looked at the x-bolts in a variety of cartridges. Every time I get half interested in it being a serious contender, I handle it and remind myself of the many flaws in the magazine.
1. First and foremost, there is a plastic magazine on a gun priced at/above the mid-point market
2. I have serious concern about the longevity of the magazine.
3. It is easy to load the magazine and not properly lock it in place and thus fall out in the bushes, and the release button is at a location where it can be accidentally bumped.

I also feel the same way about Savage and Tikka. Unfortunately it seems the market doesn't care about this.

I have long looked at the x-bolts in a variety of cartridges. Every time I get half interested in it being a serious contender, I handle it and remind myself of the many flaws in the magazine.
1. First and foremost, there is a plastic magazine on a gun priced at/above the mid-point market
2. I have serious concern about the longevity of the magazine.
3. It is easy to load the magazine and not properly lock it in place and thus fall out in the bushes, and the release button is at a location where it can be accidentally bumped.

I also feel the same way about Savage and Tikka. Unfortunately it seems the market doesn't care about this.
That's quite interesting! I won't even comment on the Savage. I have 5 X Bolts. 2 of them have shot over 1000 ends. No problems at all. As far as the magazine they are not plastic but some form of polymer. No wear and no issues . I can't make jam them no matter what. I also have a Tikka. Shoots excellent but if I try to slam the clip in it wedges and have to manually remove it. By that time the Coyote is gone. Nothing beats the X Bolt for regular hunting.

Last edited:
One thing I am thinking is being military and never knowing where I will end up is the 300 more versatile for the smaller lower 48 animals? What's the average distance you can get out of one? Is it less than 200 yards?

The 375 is an excellent choice for all but the biggest stuff on Earth in my opinion .

Ya gotta remember that there are many different loads to choose from, so choose wisely young Jedi.

I might end up going with just the browning BAR mark 3. In a .300.. while the 375 is calling me I think the 300 is more suitable for my needs?

The Browning rifle is a beauty and the price is right as well, that said I have a minor concern.
The weight of the rifle at 7# could be a tad light for the 375.
Easily corrected with the addition of weight/recoil reducer or what have you.
Proper and consistent shooting practice will make this rifle easy to shoot and carry on even the longest of days.
You will not be disappointed that you went bigger and got the 375 over the 300.
Go for it and good luck with your decision.

My son has a x-bolt in 7-08. He really likes it, but the only complaint is that the magazine spring is weak and it sometimes doesn't feed properly. He normally only takes one shot at a time so not a big deal when deer hunting but I wouldn't consider this rifle for dangerous game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg