Brockman .458 Lott?

bout time you got around to shooting that puppy, im glad to hear you like it! :D

your 458 Lott generates about the same recoil as my 505 Gibbs in similar rifles. the Gibbs is throwen a 525gr bullet at 2300fps or a 600gr at 2100fps so the performance is similar.

we will have to meet up some time in the near future and swap some shots. id love to try out your new rifle! (your going to the SCI in Vegas next year right?)

-matt

No, heading to DSC, but not Vegas. We definitely have to meet up at some point.

Now to buy the reloading press! :]

Well, I FINALLY got to really shoot the Lott, meaning more than one shot. I had a really busy fall and have shot much at all since my Safari in August.

I absolutely love the rifle, but will freely admit that it is going to take some getting used to before I can have extended range sessions. My shooting degraded quickly after about shot number four.... The picture below was my first three shot group at 32 yards, with open sights, and shooting offhand. Could have been better, but could have been worse too I suppose.

Things I noticed:
  1. I need a new front sight - the one on it is red and my eyes can't pick it up well at all. I'm going to switch to white or yellow and see if that does the trick.
  2. The .458 Lott quickly lets you know about any imperfections in your form. I banged my middle finger on the trigger guard on one shot by not holding firmly enough, lack of cheek weld banged my face on another shot, and muzzle flip is bad if you don't get over on the gun enough (when I did it right reacquiring the target was pretty quick).
  3. Quick reloading will take some practice - hard to explain, but the cartridges have to be pushed in at the right angle and the top of the magazine blocked my thumb a bit.
  4. Bolt cycled well and felt good.
I want to leave this rifle open sighted, but may add a scope with detachable rings. I have a Leupold VX-R 1.25x4 that should be good on this gun if I choose to go there. I think I will also be looking into a lead sled for bench work, but we will see. I'm excited about this rifle and what I think it will be able to do!

Oh, and as if there was any question as to the power. I shot it on a dirt road with a hill as a backstop. The furrows it left were as wide as my hand. Devastating....

20150207_125246.jpg

The .458 Lott quickly lets you know about any imperfections in your form.

+1

the bigger the gun, the less forgiving it is with mistakes. if you shoot a 458 Lott and it hurts, then you did something wrong. I hate it when people say that "big guns are painful to shoot". what they are actually saying is "i don't know how to shoot properly". if you take the time to listen to what the gun is telling you then your form will vastly improve and the pain will go away. its possible to even learn to shoot guns that don't fit you properly (my M70).

-matt

Looks like it shoots well Royal

Completely agree Matt!

I think I'll end up with a cheekpad on the Lott, even with open sights. If I put a scope on it I will definitely need the cheek pad. It actually annoys me (now that I understand it) that stocks on almost all rifles are made to shoot without a scope, even those that don't have open sights!!!!

Looks like it shoots well Royal

Thanks!

Notice I didn't post my LAST three shot group though. There appeared to be an "ammunition issue" and those bullets all hit low.... LOL

Well the one picture you sent says you would cut meat!

On the point of fit... I have to agree that very few rifles are made to fit properly when a scope is installed. In fact you seem to need to either custom order a very high end rifle that is fitted to you, or you may have noticed how some low cost guns are now made customizable with replaceable cheek pieces depending upon if you shoot it open sighted or scoped. The Ruger American Rimfire comes to mind. And I believe the larger calibers come with a slip on cheek pad. I am thinking of ordering one of these to try on my big bores.

I've been fortunate to get my main guns to fit me pretty well as long as I mount the scopes as low as possible... although they could be a tad bit better.

I did bang up my trigger finger and middle finger (as Royal mentioned) the first time out with my 505 Gibbs. But Matt recommended shedding the gloves to get a better/tighter hold and on my second foray with it, it went better and I did not have that issue. I also have only shot it open sighted and it fits me very well that way. No bumps or bruises but it does give me a bit of a head ache after a while and I have a sore back for a day afterwards.

Last edited:
To continue on with this.... what do you all think about various optics for such fire breathing monster guns?

On my M70 375, I like the Leupold VX6 and have it in 2-12 but a 1-6 would be just as well, depending upon personal preference... I had a Trijicon 1-4 on the M70 416 Rem Mag but took it off with the intention of installing it on the 505 and going to a VX6 1-6 on the 416. However now I bought that Ruger RSM in 416 Rigby and so have yet another to figure out.

So I have been wondering about holographic and red dot sights? That Trijicon has that green triangle and really can be used like a red dot... But it also has 3.5" eye relief, good but not great when thinking about the recoil these things can generate.

Would love more thoughts?!

You know my thoughts Bob, but I'll start by putting them out for discussion:
  1. Open sights as long as the eyes allow it
  2. Holographic/RD when they don't - I don't buy the "the battery will go dead" argument. If it is good enough for the military it is good enough for me! I would buy that type of quality though. Not time to cheap out!!!
  3. Low power scope with great eye relief - I'd use this as the option if I wanted to extend my range beyond what I was comfortable with using options 1-2.
Also what I am hunting will take part in my decision. I personally don't want a scope for elephant. This is just the romantic in me thinking an elephant shouldn't be shot through a scope. Nothing else and no issue if someone else does. Buffalo though, I would use the scope. elephant/Buff combo hunt, well, that is what QD rings are for! :)

Talking to my PH for my upcoming lion and buffalo hunt, he was very straight forward about using a scope. Absolutely yes, use a scope... Now I don't think he was ruling out another good optic but he was emphasizing using what reasonable advantage is available to make a good shot... And on an April hunt in the thick bush in his area, he wanted the best first shot possible. On the buffalo, he did say we might I might be shooting at a dark animal standing in the shadows and bushes. So an IR of some type might be great.

Anyone got advice on a couple specific good quality holographic or RD sights? Are they all 1x or do they come with some modest magnification? I would like something that can mount solidly and low on my CZ 550. And possibly on a M70 and Ruger.

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!