Broadhead for Eland

Aside of broadhead, FOC and arrow weight are very important. Also bear in mind that shaft should be narrower that broadhead's body. I took one buff cow (estimated 1400lbs) with rifle and just for sake of curiosity I put an arrow from 22 yds through its shoulder/hearth prior to taking a photo (PURE Elite 72#, 905grs, Grizzly broadhead,194fps). 2/3 of arrow went to another side! I took oryx, BWB and few warthogs with 650grs and although I know that majority of hunters will use much lighter arrows I will stick to heavy ones since I demand full penetration not just with best shots (best case scenario) but also in case I hit a bone.
I can sum up for you what to take in consideration while building arrow for Africa but I would strongly suggest you to look for Dr Ashby's articles reg arrow penetration. He took over 600 large animals (mostly African) he is very pedantic and it was most valuable reading for my preps

I used a muzzy trocar 3 blade 125 which I am not even sure they make any more. My bow was a hoyt helix set at 70lbs with a 29.5 draw length. I used easton full metal jacket 5mm with brass inserts. The total combo weighed in at over 500 grains. I had a broad side shot and took out both lungs but did not get a pass thru. The arrow center punched two ribs and stuck in the one on the opposite side but did not exit the animal. It ended up going about 200 yards. Most of my other plains games had complete pass thrus with this set up.

eland.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a crossgun, it's not really a bow. :p Use the heaviest bolts out there and 2-blade 160ish gr broadheads like Zwickey, Jaeger, Magnus. Even some of the smaller PG are built much heavier than deer (to withstand predator attacks.) My son tested out everything on a cull hunt in Namibia and couldn't stop raving about the penetration and stopping power of the heaviest arrow/2 blade broadhead combo! We're making a no-crossbow rule on newly acquired farm property this year (to allow the area to re-populate after the prior owner treated it like a shooting gallery. Some think it's unfair to have a 100 yd weapon in-hand in the pre-rut.) Have at it in Africa! Why don't you consider a vertical bow (that requires a lot more skill to shoot!) ;) This question isn't just for you of course. I realize I'm now feebly attempting to talk people out of drinking Coca-cola in the 11th hr here, but it needed to be said.

Nice work! Care to share a few of the details?
It was the 4th day of the hunt. We saw many Eland but no mature bulls. We heard a clicking noise behind us, which the PH told us a mature Eland makes with their hooves. An Eland came into the shooting window but the PH saw a bigger one behind it. The second bull pushed the first one away, presenting me with a nice 15 yd shot. The arrow completely passed through and skidded to a stop about 50 yds away. The arrow took a hard left turn while passing through, exiting at the rear on the lung and liver. We tracked until dark and found him in about 30 minutes the next morning.

IMG_20210915_090810.jpg

As far as the comments on old and inhumane. Two of the bull elk I have shot with a bow ran 20-30 yards, turned on my call and headed back to me and collapsed. Never have that response with a muzzleloader or rifle. I believe they thought the arrow wack was the bull they came to fight. My feelings are a good set up and good shot is likely more humane than a rifle. Just my two cents

A
As far as the comments on old and inhumane. Two of the bull elk I have shot with a bow ran 20-30 yards, turned on my call and headed back to me and collapsed. Never have that response with a muzzleloader or rifle. I believe they thought the arrow wack was the bull they came to fight. My feelings are a good set up and good shot is likely more humane than a rifle. Just my two cents
Agree. Four deer shot with broadhead. All recovered within 40 yds. Four deer shot with shotgun slug or muzzleloader bullet recovered after 40 to 70 yds. Effectiveness of modern archery equipment is devestating.

It was the 4th day of the hunt. We saw many Eland but no mature bulls. We heard a clicking noise behind us, which the PH told us a mature Eland makes with their hooves. An Eland came into the shooting window but the PH saw a bigger one behind it. The second bull pushed the first one away, presenting me with a nice 15 yd shot. The arrow completely passed through and skidded to a stop about 50 yds away. The arrow took a hard left turn while passing through, exiting at the rear on the lung and liver. We tracked until dark and found him in about 30 minutes the next morning.

View attachment 461870
Thanks! Any idea what caused the deflection during penetration? Bolt length, bone?

Must have been a rib bone. We have a video of the shot. Angled forward in the crease behind leg. Exit was about 6 inches further back. The video was reviewed over and over by several PH's and the concurred that it was a good shot. But arrows can do strange things. Especially a 20 inch crossbow bolt.

IMG_20210915_082424.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrodieLazz

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.