Brno ZKK-602 in 458 win mag new to me and some questions regarding it...

Sean kerr

AH member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't post a lot but I am always poking around on here and wanted to get some thoughts from folks on a new rifle that my fiancé bought for just three days ago for an eagerly Xmas gift. I have wanted a 602 in 458 win mag for a long, long, time but they are quite tough to find here in the states from what I can tell. It does not have the peep sight as it is stamped 80 on the receiver and I believe that option went out in and around '76? It is mint in condition other than the front sight area where it looks as though someone did a little fiddling about with the sight hood that is no longer present and scratched it a couple of times. The bore is bright and shiny, the action is very smooth and the factory flat trigger I actually find very pleasant. Bluing is 95%. I am to shoot it today for the first time as I have only had it for 18 hours in my grubby mitts. It does not have the barrel band on the barrel for the sling swivel but is rather mounted on the stock. the stock is Monte Carlo in design.

Does anyone here own a similar rifle and if so, what are your thoughts on keeping it a win mag vs punching it out to a Lott? Any feed issues with running the shorter win mag in the magnum length action? Also, does anyone know where to acquire a front sight hood by chance? At some point, I would like to have it gone through, new English style stock, barrel band sling swivel etc but for now, I quite content to keep as is.

Any information about this rifle from folks that know a lot more about it than me would be welcome. Thank to any and all that respond.

Cheers!

Just be careful where your hand is on the fore end when shooting it...there is a description on some other thread where due to position I was firing from my left hand first finger bent the quick detachable sling mount ...it was at an interesting moment and it caused some interesting language... :E Big Grin: ...and first thing I do with the front sight hood on the 2cz 550 I have is pull it off....cant stand them...the brno same....keep it in 458 win at moment and see how you get on with it...then make your mind up

Congrats on the new rifle, and providing your girlfriend keeps up her current perspectives she may become a keeper(lol.) Not wanting to rain on your parade, how does the rifle feed? Some have been known to have troubles.

You should post some pictures for us too! I hope it works great for you, I really enjoy my CZ rifles , and those that have the BRNO rifles say such great things about them.

Craig

Just came back from a test run... it was sublime. Fed three completely different loads with completely different bullet profiles and depths and it ate them without the slightest issue. In fact, it was so smooth throughout the stroke that I had to look to check that there was a round loaded.

My fiancé is indeed a keeper!! She is urging me towards the Chapuis ugex in 9.3... God love her. Said I’ve waited long enough and I should have it. I of course agreed.

As soon as I figure out how to post a pic I will. I’ve loved 458 since I was a kid and of all of the ones I’ve owned this one feeds the best. I guess I got lucky as far as the feeding! I think I will keep it a win and maybe not go to the Lott.

tempImageRilrGo.jpg
tempImageefC1dX.jpg
tempImageZCyDRV.jpg

Yup... that was the best I can manage at the moment. I am no gift to the photography world, that is for sure.

Shootist, I am indeed a very lucky man!

I have never seen a picture of a 602 with a stock like the one on mine. I am assuming it is original? I still can't believe how nice it functions.

Before I had the chamber extended I would load the Win Mags to a longer over-all-length. Check the barrel throat to see what sort of length will work. A Win Mag with bullet seated out for one caliber contact with the bullet gets very close to Lott performance.

Good point. I will have to check the throat length. Most 458's have a lot of free bore from my understanding. I am thinking that after shooting it today that if it keeps running as it is, I am going to keep it a win mag. I only was thinking about the Lott because of potential feed issues with a shorter case in a magnum length action. Now a great reduced deer/bearload would be great!

Now a great reduced deer/bearload would be great!

I have found the Speer 350 gr previously called Mag Tip is a great bullet for lesser recoil, familiarization, deer, even elk loads for the Win Mag. I'm not sure of the mag length of the Brno but in the Model 70 even with the opened magazine well they feed find.

Hi Sean.

Leave it a Win Mag mate. It'll do all you ever need.

Buy a Lee Factory Crimp Die and load as long as the mag allows and crimp. You will then have Lott performance and it MAY help with feeding.
I've owned 2 and while sometimes they need a bit of tinkering to get to feed well -they are great rifles.

I'm also a big fan of the .458WM and I'm getting just under 2100fps with the 550gn Woodleigh in my standard length mag- loading long in yours you'd get a bit more. And that my friend is a real HAMMER!

Cheers,

Russ

Russ, I will order one of the Lee dies you mentioned. I agree wholeheartedly that I should leave it the WM. Is my third one. My handloads clocked 2201 with this rifle with a woodleigh 500 RN solid. 2100 with a 550 grain is pretty impressive for sure. I found the recoil brisk but not uncomfortable at all. Power wise, I don’t see a lot given up to the Lott really. Other than capacity with heavier bullets.
Cheers,
Sean

The only reason I was thinking Lott was feeding issues should they arise. They haven’t yet though and generally if they are going to be present they will appear right away in my experience. The WM has no flies on it. Alaska again in august (provided the Covid thing is remedied) and it would make a great companion there albeit a tad heavy. Last year I brought my **NOT**PERMITTED** Scout in 308. Felt kinda... under gunned. When you have seen the bears and your hiking through the brush just a couple hours later you sometimes feel like you are toting around a nerf gun.

I would strongly advice to rechamber to .458 Lott, not because there is something wrong with .458Win. but the trouble is that the cartridges slam around in that cavernous magazine. On mine the 5th round detonated in the magazine when I fired round 4..the primer touched a small dent in the rear of the magazine...bullet went up and broke the (solid steel) mag. follower, cracked the stock and bent the magazine...luckily no harm done to me.. I have heard of similar episodes so not unique to me..

But otherwise splendid rifles....I have one in .375H&H and the former is becoming a .500 Jeffery..

602.jpg

Pondoro,
You are indeed very lucky! I have not ever heard of that type of situation ever before in bolt guns but it is rather alarming! I have this overwhelming urge to dig into my 458 now and scour the mag well looking for burrs and whatnot, and will later this afternoon. I can certainly see why you would have swapped to a Lott in that case. It certainly gives me something to think about. Was your 602 unreliable (aside from that nightmare scenario) in any other way? Feeding mainly? Did that incident take place on a hunt? I would love to have a couple more of these 602's especially in 375HH and either 500 or 505.

The 602´s are generally very reliable, I have two..one in .375H&H...feeding perfectly..
The incidident took place on an elephant hunt..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.