DmacD

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England
Have any of you thought about dripping melted beeswax into the screw recesses after tightening the screws and wiping the surface clean on all the areas that you find water/condensation seeping its way into and causing the rust mentioned @Milan That should create a seal against any water incursion in those areas.
I have been using a beeswax based furniture polish on all of my wooden stocked rifles. The water and snow seem to really bead off nicely. It never occurred to me that some wax in liquid form would work in the nooks and crannies to keep it dry. Thanks for the suggestion.
By the way, I saw a video of you making a leather knife sheath where you dipped the sheath in a wax. Great result I am sure, with the old techniques and materials sometimes being the best.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I have been using a beeswax based furniture polish on all of my wooden stocked rifles. The water and snow seem to really bead off nicely. It never occurred to me that some wax in liquid form would work in the nooks and crannies to keep it dry. Thanks for the suggestion.
By the way, I saw a video of you making a leather knife sheath where you dipped the sheath in a wax. Great result I am sure, with the old techniques and materials sometimes being the best.
Thanks dean. I use parraffin wax on the sheaths but any wax that will set hard(ish) should protect the areas that condensation or outright rain may get to. Even with a screrw that has been removed the wax should stay on the surface of the counter bore as there is always a degree of clearance between the moving screw head and the recipient recess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Milan

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Alberta, RSA
Have any of you thought about dripping melted beeswax into the screw recesses after tightening the screws and wiping the surface clean on all the areas that you find water/condensation seeping its way into and causing the rust mentioned @Milan That should create a seal against any water incursion in those areas.
I have not tried that but I believe, one can seal all one wants, water/condensation gets in but then when things are sealed it may be harder to get out. Maybe some bolts would benefit from this, but condensation gets even inside the bolt and on firing pin and spring and that we do not want to seal anyway.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
That ole Kiwi fella has probably seen his share of bad weather being down the South Island.
Not that I have seen NZ

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I would like to see it myself someday, maybe even give some hunting a try.
I believe it is still a hunter friendly country. Public land etc.
Nice scenery and not far from Australia so maybe wife is keen for me me to hunt there one day, so long as she gets to come for a holiday.

Last edited by a moderator:

DmacD

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England
I believe it is still a hunter friendly country. Public land etc.
Nice scenery and not far from Australia so maybe wife is keen for me me to hunt there one day, so long as she gets to come for a holiday.
I have a Minister of Finances and Tourism that I must answer to as well. Travel is our thing, no kids, so we have been fortunate to have seen a few countries. The addition of hunting on these trips is a relatively new concept, but one that I am slowly seeping into her sub-conscious........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavinaQuez

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh