Bringing Warthog tusks to U.S.

JG870

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Does anyone know?
Is it legal to bring cleaned warthog tusks into the U.S. from Namibia in your luggage?

:unsure::unsure: Interesting question, I didn’t know it was illegal.

So you have done this with no problems?

i brought warthog tusks home from SA. in my luggage.

DSCN9832.JPG
DSCN9617 (4).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrap them in an Out of Africa bag from the airport or find a willing African woman on the plane to wear them around her neck they won't mess with her for fear of racial profiling!

I brought some home via port Elizabeth to Cape Town to Germany to lax. No problems. This was last June. Also had about ten or so can openers made from them as well in my checked baggage.

I have too. No issues. Who knows how many international wildlife trafficking laws I broke.

I brought some home via port Elizabeth to Cape Town to Germany to lax. No problems. This was last June. Also had about ten or so can openers made from them as well in my checked baggage.

Thanks for the reply. I know they sell them as can openers etc. in Namibia as well. Did you bring some in your carry on as well?

Did y’all pack in Carry on or checked bags?

the worst bitch down i ever got in six trips to africa was on a return trip thru Chicago at ohare, where two tsa asshats didn,t think the paper work on a zebra hide was right. i ask to talk a supervisor and that pissed them off and after about 20 minutes they got one and after looking at all my paper work(only the zebra hide set them off), he said get going. i damn near missed my flight to pa.

I have brought them home from Namibia in my check-in luggage. No problems

I don't have an answer but warthog is one of the animals on the 30 day Quarantine list to bring into the country for imports. I know the skins and skulls have to be re-dipped and Q once they arrive in the US by an approved USDA inspection facility.

@gizmo Any info on this subject ?

My tusk from MOZ and TAN had to be wrapped separately but could be in same container as other animals. I think re-dipped or inspected again for meaty material once in US. It is a USDA requirement or was. Anything else is reimagining the rules which I’m fine with, however, not sure what would happen if found in carryon luggage

What paperwork did you show the TSA in Chicago for the zebra?

I don't have an answer but warthog is one of the animals on the 30 day Quarantine list to bring into the country for imports. I know the skins and skulls have to be re-dipped and Q once they arrive in the US by an approved USDA inspection facility.

@gizmo Any info on this subject ?

My tusk from MOZ and TAN had to be wrapped separately but could be in same container as other animals. I think re-dipped or inspected again for meaty material once in US. It is a USDA requirement or was. Anything else is reimagining the rules which I’m fine with, however, not sure what would happen if found in carryon luggage
Thanks Gentlemen I appreciate your replies.

This comment alone might make me want to shoot a bunch in a few weeks since I'll be in Namibia

I hope you can Mtn_infantry. I am in Namibia now leaving tonight and have found the Warthog difficult. I wish you the best of luck on your safari.

official taxidermy declaration-certificate for treated game trophies. from trophy service tannery taxidermy studio pretoria south africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felicia17I

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you