Bring reloading bullets to South Africa?

jpr9954

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
onlygunsandmoney.com
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa
My outfitter asked me if I could pick up some Hornady reloading bullets for him and bring them with me to South Africa. They are unobtainable in RSA.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to do get them here before I leave. He has another hunting party coming in mid-June that could bring them.

Would they have any problem with SAPS just bringing bullets for reloading with them to South Africa as a gift? Would it matter if the bullet caliber was not the same as the rifles they are bringing?

I did read a post from 2023 about bringing bullets to Sweden and it seemed that the only issue might be local law and not US law. I'm thinking South Africa might be stickier about these things.

None as I know. Take them about every trip. Bullets, brass, dies and optics.
Never an issue. Bags usually have been opened and inspected as they leave notes and card. I usually only fly Delta or United direct flight when doing so. Did take one time on Qatar. No issues.

Last 2 trips flying United and Delta from Newark and Atlanta respectively to Johannesburg, then on to Port Elizabeth, not an issue (2022 and 2023). 375 H&H Mag and 300 WM brass, and 200-250 count of .375 bullets. In my checked luggage, of course.

We have done several elephant huts this yesr Hornafy dolid used no problems

Lon

I would avoid Amsterdam, if at all, possible.

I have a friend who had to spend five days there, because of firearms issues.

If your traveling to and from Africa from the USA, spend an extra $200 or so and use Travel Express or Gracy Travel to purchase your tickets. It can make your life MUCH easier.

Guys, you can drive 50mph in a 40mph zone and never get a ticket, but that doesn't mean it's legal.

For everyone that has brought ammo, components, scopes, etc, and says "no issues" leaving with the PH, you are likely borderline to blatantly breaking the law (in my reading of the regs).

https://www.help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1120?language=en_US

Note 1 to 0A505.x: The controls on “parts” and “components” in this entry include Berdan and boxer primers, metallic cartridge cases, and standard metallic projectiles such as full metal jacket, lead core, copper projectiles, and frangible projectiles.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-15/subtitle-B/chapter-VII/subchapter-C/part-740/section-740.14

(e) Special provisions for firearms and ammunition.

(1) A United States citizen or a permanent resident alien leaving the United States may export or reexport shotguns with a barrel length of 18 inches or over and shotgun shells under this License Exception, subject to the following limitations:

(i) Not more than three shotguns may be taken on any one trip.

(ii) The shotguns and shotgun shells must be with the person's baggage but they may not be mailed.

(iii) The shotguns and shotgun shells must be for the person's exclusive use for legitimate hunting or lawful sporting purposes, scientific purposes, or personal protection, and not for resale or other transfer of ownership or control. Accordingly, except as provided in (e)(2) of this section, shotguns may not be exported permanently under this License Exception. All shotguns and unused shotgun shells must be returned to the United States. Note that since certain countries may require an Import Certificate or a U.S. export license before allowing the import of a shotgun, you should determine the import requirements of your country of destination in advance.

(2) A nonresident alien leaving the United States may export or reexport under this License Exception only such shotguns and shotgun shells as he or she brought into the United States under the provisions of the Department of Justice Regulations (27 CFR 478.115(d)).

(3) A United States citizen or a permanent resident alien leaving the United States may export under this License Exception firearms, “parts,” “components,” “accessories,” or “attachments” controlled under ECCN 0A501 and ammunition controlled under ECCN 0A505.a, subject to the following limitations:

(i) Not more than three firearms and 1,000 rounds of ammunition may be taken on any one trip.

(ii) “Parts,” “components,” “accessories,” and “attachments” exported pursuant to this paragraph (e)(3) must be of a kind and limited to quantities that are reasonable for the activities described in paragraph (e)(3)(iv) of this section or that are necessary for routine maintenance of the firearms being exported.

(iii) The commodities must be with the person's baggage.

(iv) The commodities must be for the person's exclusive use and not for resale or other transfer of ownership or control. Accordingly, except as provided in paragraph (e)(4) of this section, firearms, “parts,” “components,” “accessories,” “attachments,” and ammunition, may not be exported permanently under this License Exception. All firearms, “parts,” “components,” “accessories,” or “attachments” controlled under ECCN 0A501 and all unused ammunition controlled under ECCN 0A505.a exported under this License Exception must be returned to the United States.

(v) Travelers leaving the United States temporarily are required to declare the firearms, “parts,” “components,” “accessories,” “attachments,” and ammunition being exported under this License Exception to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer prior to departure from the United States and present such items to the CBP officer for inspection, confirming that the authority for the export is License Exception BAG and that the exporter is compliant with its terms.

(4) A nonimmigrant alien leaving the United States may export or reexport under this License Exception only such firearms controlled under ECCN 0A501 and ammunition controlled under ECCN 0A505 as he or she brought into the United States under the relevant provisions of Department of Justice regulations at 27 CFR part 478.

Geez, buzzkill

1716858134488.png

I would avoid Amsterdam, if at all, possible.

I have a friend who had to spend five days there, because of firearms issues.

If your traveling to and from Africa from the USA, spend an extra $200 or so and use Travel Express or Gracy Travel to purchase your tickets. It can make your life MUCH easier.
I already went with Travel Express as well as riflepermits.com. Great communication with both companies. Darren and Jennifer Ginn are fantastic people who I've met a few times. Henry with riflepermits.com was great about answering questions and handling paperwork.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConradFont

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]