Brenneke TOG / 9,3x62

Bigboar

Reaction score
Hi all,

On AH, i have never heard about the Brenneke TOG that I love in 9,3x62. I use it for driven Hunt mainly Wild Board and Red Stag. I use it for stalking and it never fails on Chamois and Roe Deer.

Do you use it in Africa ? On which game ?

Thx,

That bullet is not generally available in North America, and since most of the people posting on this forum are from the USA it is not well known there. From the manufacturers information it looks like a well made bullet. Tapered jacket, thin in front and thick at the rear, with bonded core. There are so many similar well made hunting bullets on the market, I expect your success is not a coincidence.

upload_2020-4-17_21-57-18.png

An attempt to modernize the famous TIG and TUG bullets from Brenneke that no longer meet the current standard. Not bad but company specific , and expensive.

I bought a few hundred (9.3) for essentially half price when a local outdoors shop went bankrupt. Only shot paper so far. Shoots well in my rifle, but the cutting edge (scharfrand) seem to mess with the feeding sometimes. It could also be that my magazine spring is a bit weak, as I've also ha feeding issues with the heavy 325grain Norma Oryx. Ordered a new spring and will see if it makes a difference.

I expect it to be a good bullet performance-wise.

I’ve shot a couple of pigs and a roe doe with the 270gr 375HH factory load. Worked very well but given the size of the animals and the chambering it wasn’t much of a test. These factory rounds are quite accurate in my rifle too.

looks like a good bullet.
it would be useful in 9.3mm at 286 gn wt.
the available bullets seem more aimed at Europe than Africa.
bruce.

@Bigboar
@kurpfalzjäger

Out of couriosity, have you guys, used TOG bullet on lighter game, in smaller caliber 6.5 - 8mm, on roe deer? What are the impressions?

Hi all,

On AH, i have never heard about the Brenneke TOG that I love in 9,3x62. I use it for driven Hunt mainly Wild Board and Red Stag. I use it for stalking and it never fails on Chamois and Roe Deer.

Do you use it in Africa ? On which game ?

Thx,

Interesting. The 9.3 (62 or 74R) has always seemed perfectly balanced for red deer and wild boar. However, it would be pretty far down my selection list for roe and particularly for chamois. I am surprised you have enough reach to be well suited for the latter.

It's a standard caliber with a GEE between 153 and 212 Yards depending of the bullet.

Brenneke TOG GEE is 185 Yards.
SAX KGJ is 185gr weight and GEE is 212 Yard => https://www.sax-munition.de/sax-_-kjg-munition_2015/49-_-sax-9_3x62-kjg-sr-patronen.html

The GEE is like any other standard caliber.

If i had to shoot at 300 Yards or more, clearly i will use a Magnum caliber.

For hunting at long range, the important things are :
  • to well know your bullet drop
  • and have enough velocity in order to have adequate expansion

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 8.42.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 8.42.09 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 331
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 8.42.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 8.42.12 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
Interesting. The 9.3 (62 or 74R) has always seemed perfectly balanced for red deer and wild boar. However, it would be pretty far down my selection list for roe and particularly for chamois. I am surprised you have enough reach to be well suited for the latter.

While it’s an overkill on Roe deer for sure it is not very destructive, so why not? These are reasonably stout projectiles not moving particularly fast so damage is limited. In my area often times when going after Roe deer I might encounter a wild boar as well. As such I’d rather take a somewhat heavier gun hence I’m likely to carry a 9.3x74R or 375H&H versus say 223. These heavier guns work on Roe quite well when using strong bullets - by work I mean the carcass is not smashed to pieces and pre-minced. A large Roe buck on hoofs might weight 35kg/77lbs so obviously a much smaller caliber is enough to ensure clean kill.

I see that sax makes 9.3x64.
another source of brass added to rws.
bruce.

While it’s an overkill on Roe deer for sure it is not very destructive, so why not? These are reasonably stout projectiles not moving particularly fast so damage is limited. In my area often times when going after Roe deer I might encounter a wild boar as well. As such I’d rather take a somewhat heavier gun hence I’m likely to carry a 9.3x74R or 375H&H versus say 223. These heavier guns work on Roe quite well when using strong bullets - by work I mean the carcass is not smashed to pieces and pre-minced. A large Roe buck on hoofs might weight 35kg/77lbs so obviously a much smaller caliber is enough to ensure clean kill.
I have taken several dozen roe deer, and a 9.3 just would not be my choice. When I hunted then regularly, I preferred a 6.5x57 or .270 - Both those calibers would also handle any wild boar that I have ever taken. But I agree that a stout bullet from a 9.3 would drill a 9.3 hole going in and a 9.4 going out. I just prefer something a bit more balanced to the game animal. What I do not understand would be handicapping myself with that caliber for an alpine hunt for a chamois, ibex, etc.

It's a standard caliber with a GEE between 153 and 212 Yards depending of the bullet.

Brenneke TOG GEE is 185 Yards.
SAX KGJ is 185gr weight and GEE is 212 Yard => https://www.sax-munition.de/sax-_-kjg-munition_2015/49-_-sax-9_3x62-kjg-sr-patronen.html

The GEE is like any other standard caliber.

If i had to shoot at 300 Yards or more, clearly i will use a Magnum caliber.

For hunting at long range, the important things are :
  • to well know your bullet drop
  • and have enough velocity in order to have adequate expansion

Yes, I understand bullet drop. It is exactly why I can't understand why anyone would use a caliber with the 9.3's range limitations for a mountain game animal like the chamois.

Not trying to hijack the thread but does anyone know of a Brenneke dealer in the US? I did a quick search and couldn’t find one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg