Bowhunting ELEPHANT Best Setup

I have four and a half months before going, so if I understand, with the help of you all, what I need to do... I' ll work hard for shure.
Ashby 315 grs single bevel broadhead ?

Best of luck on an enjoyable and successfull hunt. It truly is a great goal to take the largest land animal with a bow.
There was a PH on here this week that was saying you are required to video tape the hunt. I hope if you are successfull you take the time to come back and give us a hunt report with pics. It will be even better if you share your video with us. I hope you are considering a full mount..

I replyed some three times, but the site does not load it up...

I replyed some three times, but the site does not load it up...

Dr.FrankB-Mimic, Sorry to hear, don't know what happened there... With long posts, or posts that take some time to post, make sure to copy it prior to submitting the reply so that the content is not lost in the process.

OK thanks Jerome.
HAS ANYBODY USED ASHBY 315 grs SINGLE BEVEL Broadhead on elephant or buffalo-hippo yet ?

Hi Frank,

To answer your question about the Ashby broadhead use on elephants, Chris McDonald did a video in 2009 showing how his set up ( with the Ashby broadhead ) were doing complete pass thru's on an elephant. Its on Youtube and you can also access the video on visiting the Alaska Bowhunting Supply web site.

wising you the best in your quest.

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you still planning your ele hunt? if so I can be of some help. I did a bull elephant hunt in Zim. 3 years ago and it was a success with one arrow at 7 yards. My bow kill is featured on the boddington on elephant video under shot placement. You have to get permission from game and parks to hunt with bow.
my set up was a draw weight of 107 lbs with custom arrows weighing 1236 grains. let me know if you would like more info on this matter.

Bow hunting

I can't say i agree to hunting elephant with a bow,it seems pretty inhuman to me.In fact,some of the old white hunters thought bow hunting was inhuman and they were instrumental in outlawing bow hunting in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.

I've been researching this topic for some time as my hunt is coming up in June. My kit is going to be a Bowtech Tribute 90lbs at max with a custom 1100gr weight forward arrow travelling at around 205fps. The bow is about as much as I can pull reliably and repeatedly without blowing a valve. I figured that it was pointless trying to pull something that may result in an injury. The arrow weight/speed are real world figures over a chrony. The broadhead is the 315 Ashby. I agree that modern bows generate more energy than the older ones per pound of draw weight, but 65lbs seems on the light side. All my research points to one thing: Heavy arrow shoved forward by as much energy as possible. I'm doubtful if a modern 65lbs bow is the right tool for the job.
JCHB

Hi Guys
I'm just got myself a 27 and half brace sight, 84 lbs Bowtech Invasion. It's set up with a 315 Ashly broadhead ( total weight of the arrow is 910 gr ) It's flying at 215 fps.
Well, I took a shot at a target and the Ashly broadhead broke in 2. I notice that the arrow went throw the light target and hid a rock. I had this happen before with my other regular 100 gr broadheads that I use for Whitetail Deer and they never broke in 2. I question if the Ashly broadheads are using the right raw material to make their broadheads.

I've been researching this topic for some time as my hunt is coming up in June. My kit is going to be a Bowtech Tribute 90lbs at max with a custom 1100gr weight forward arrow travelling at around 205fps. The bow is about as much as I can pull reliably and repeatedly without blowing a valve. I figured that it was pointless trying to pull something that may result in an injury. The arrow weight/speed are real world figures over a chrony. The broadhead is the 315 Ashby. I agree that modern bows generate more energy than the older ones per pound of draw weight, but 65lbs seems on the light side. All my research points to one thing: Heavy arrow shoved forward by as much energy as possible. I'm doubtful if a modern 65lbs bow is the right tool for the job.
JCHB

I could not agree more, perfectly stated. With Elephant (and any other thick skinned game) one needs as much energy as possible, and this is (unfortunately for some) only achieved by drawing a very heavy bow.

Sirs, I am simply saying that modern bows are quite different from older ones, fully respecting your points of wiew, of course; if you take a look at Rocco's post, consider that he declares 215 fps for a 910 grains arrow, on an 84 (!) # bow. My numbers are MUCH better, with my 70 (!) # bow, a Mathews XLR5 29". I get 224 fps with a 900 grains arrow, and 218 with a 950 grs arrow. With this second combination, KE is as much as 100,3 ft-lbs, and MOM is 0,919.
I recently ordered an Athens BIG FIVE, especially bec. of the forgiving 7 brace, but for shure, to have these speeds, I will have to pull over 80#.
My personall goal, for my august elephant, should be 1100 grs arrow at 205 fps; KE 102,7, and a good M of 1,000. Engee, what is your opinion on this ?

Polarbar, many thanks for your sharing.
107 is REALLY a lot !
I am planning, as you can see in the discussion, to use a 1100 grs arrow, at around 210 fps. What kind of broadhead did you use ?
Frank

Sirs, I am simply saying that modern bows are quite different from older ones, fully respecting your points of wiew, of course; if you take a look at Rocco's post, consider that he declares 215 fps for a 910 grains arrow, on an 84 (!) # bow. My numbers are MUCH better, with my 70 (!) # bow, a Mathews XLR5 29". I get 224 fps with a 900 grains arrow, and 218 with a 950 grs arrow. With this second combination, KE is as much as 100,3 ft-lbs, and MOM is 0,919.
I recently ordered an Athens BIG FIVE, especially bec. of the forgiving 7 brace, but for shure, to have these speeds, I will have to pull over 80#.
My personall goal, for my august elephant, should be 1100 grs arrow at 205 fps; KE 102,7, and a good M of 1,000. Engee, what is your opinion on this ?

Dear Frank,

It is a fact that modern speed bows do perform considerably well, even at lower poundages, but I would still suggest that you try and shoot with as much poundage as you are personally comfortable with. The speed of the Monster XLR8 helps a great deal already but try and bump your poundage up a bit, it's probably better to err on the side of caution. You have a good drawlength which also helps, you can even shoot straight off the string and eliminate the d-loop which gives you another 1/2" of drawlength. Every bit helps, trust me. You can also have a look at the PSE Omen at 85# which will also suffice. Also remember to get your arrows spined correctly as any flaw in the flight will have a tremendously negative affect your penetration, your finished, broadhead tipped arrows need to fly PERFECTLY through paper at all ranges (5, 10, 15yards).

Personally I'm hoping to shoot my 1100gr arrows at (at least) 240fps which will comfortably push my Ke over 110 with my 102# Athens, but again, that's just me. I don't want to cut any corners on this hunt or take any unnesicary chances. I draw and shoot the heavy bow comfortably so that is why I chose to use such a high poundage bow.

Engee, thanks.
At Athens, they have been extremely serious and precise; I ordered the Big 5, and they tested it before shipping to be a 72-100. Simply fantastic, to let me go up as much as I can with lbs. The only problem is that they shipped it on may 2, and I am still waiting to have it delivered ! So, at the moment, I still do not know how much I will be able to go up with it. I have two and a half months and train in the weight room, hoping day by day to have the parcel. My arrow of choice should be FMJ DG 250, Ashby broadhead and a weight tube to get 1100 grs. Seen you have the same bow, let me know if you think the arrow is OK. Last thing, I hunt everything using FOBS, and I would do the same for elephant; so I will mount an Ultra HD rest. Let me know !

Engee, thanks.
At Athens, they have been extremely serious and precise; I ordered the Big 5, and they tested it before shipping to be a 72-100. Simply fantastic, to let me go up as much as I can with lbs. The only problem is that they shipped it on may 2, and I am still waiting to have it delivered ! So, at the moment, I still do not know how much I will be able to go up with it. I have two and a half months and train in the weight room, hoping day by day to have the parcel. My arrow of choice should be FMJ DG 250, Ashby broadhead and a weight tube to get 1100 grs. Seen you have the same bow, let me know if you think the arrow is OK. Last thing, I hunt everything using FOBS, and I would do the same for elephant; so I will mount an Ultra HD rest. Let me know !

Frank,

I think that arrow would be great, as long as it spines correctly (dynamic spine aka spine in flight) when you test it, the FOBs should also work great, as long as you impart enough spin/control over that heavy arrow, a lot of guys tend to go with feathers in this instance as they control an arrow incredibly well and are much lighter than vanes which helps with your overall FOC (which should be as close to 20% as you can get it).

You will be incredibly happy with the Athens, I can not imagine going after my Big 5 with any other piece of equipment, the only change i would make to the bow is to make it a little longer, perhaps a 35" axle to axle bow as they tend to be more forgiving, especially at longer draw lengths, but that is a whole different topic. I love the way mine draws and shoots and am totally confidant that it will get the job done if I do my part.

Please feel free to get in touch with me at any time if you want to go over a couple of things or if you just want to chat.

All the best regards,

Engee Potgieter

welcome to A.H :)

Thanks to all of you, guys.
It is so nice to share opinions and suggestments between "very strange" people from all over the word, people struggling for THAT single shot in that so remote country... sacrifice, dedication, months of training... that's us. That's hunting.
One more discussion theme: some hunters shot elephant at extremely short distances (see Polarbar at 7 meters); I am afraid that, if a so short shot is necessary, the usual PEEP would not let me understand perfectly the exact shooting point, a bit like shooting with a scope.
I am afraid to get lost in a grey sea, and not able to have the anatomical coordinates on the animal, that I would clearly have at 20-25 meters. Did you guys use an extra wide peep ?

Bowhunting Elephant

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg