Bowhunting Crocodile

Steve Kobrine

Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI & Sub Chair of Africa for Archery for the Record Committee
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Central African Republic, Cameroon, Benin, Ghana & Morocco
Bowhunting Crocodile

Here are two photos from my August hunt to the Nyampala GMA in the Luangwa valley of Zambia with PH Strang Middleton. I went there specifically for Cookson Wildebeest as they live only in the Luangwa valley and Nyampala is probably the best area for them.

watermark.php

The croc was a bonus and my best croc to date at 14 feet 4 inches. I shot this croc at 30 yards from a Double Bull blind we had set up at the edge of the riverbank. We had seen him earlier in the hunt and he was so huge we knew it was this croc or nothing. We staked out half of the wildebeest carcass in shallow water and soon there were over 20 crocs of all sizes tearing and rolling at the meat- an incredible sight. This ancient croc was reluctant to come in and stayed in deep water until the other crocs had nearly finished the bait and he came up into the shallows for a share. I shot him with my 82 pound elite a big expandable. I have taken several crocs with a bow and I feel that a lung shot with normal arrows is the best way to shoot them. The fishing arrow, heavy line, and float meathod they use for gators is not needed for croc hunting. When you shoot a croc through the lungs they almost immediately crawl out of the water on the river bank or a sand bank to get the entrance/ exit holes out of the water so they dont drown. It might take awhile but they will die on the bank and be easily recovered. I do not recommend a heart shot as it kills them too quickly and they might die in deep water. A big broadhead through the lungs is the best way. The lungs extend far back in the body- in fact they almost run the entire lenght of the body cavity. You can shoot a croc just in front of mid- body and a bit high and it will be a solid lung hit. A hit too low might hit the heart and miss the lungs and a shot just behind the shoulder misses everything. A bowhunt for big crocodile is one of the most exciting hunts in Africa and I highly recommend it.

watermark.php

The Cooksons wildebeest was the biggest bull we saw in a week of hunting and should smash the world record for archery if I enter it. Strang is an excellent PH and especially good with bowhunting. I introduced him to bowhunting 15 years ago and he has really taken to it.
Steve

Here are Crocodile bowhunting shot placement images to visualize lung shot.

crocodile_shot_placement_bow.jpg

crocodile_perfect_shot_bow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Steve, very informative writeup.

Priceless information for any bowhunter looking at taking a Croc! Thanks Steve.

Steve both are exceptional trophies, and that with bow amazing!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Steve,
Awesome report, but you may have just cost me a few bills on my next safari. This sounds just to fun.
Dustin

Congradulations Steve, crocodile with a bow is truly amazing!

Steve,

That is awesome! Congrats on a very fine and unique archery trophy.

nd

Great information and very nice animals.

Congratulations on the beest and the croc.
Nice trophies.
Thanks for the interesting information too.

Steve,

Thanks for sharing the brilliant information & exquisite trophy photos , that croc is a monster. Congratulations!!!

Cheers,

Monish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross