BOTSWANA: Elephant Hunt With Johan Calitz Safaris In June 2021

WOW! What a fine old monarch bull! Oh am I envious of such a grand hunt! You did well sir and thanks for letting us join in!
Hope to get with you some day in Livermore.

Congratulations Scott! Ronnie is a fine fellow. He’s one of a few people that can out pace a bushman!

What a truly wild adventure !!

What a great adventure. You have to pass on those 50’s to get that 70. Getting him so close to the border was fortuitous. The 39” gemsbok was a nice bonus. Having your case Rod show up was almost miraculous.

well done that are is on my wish list

Heck of a hunt and fantastic results. Appreciate you taking the time to spin that yarn. Glad that Botswana is back open and look forward to more of these incredible hunts.

Well done sir. And thanks for sharing a great hunt report with us. Very well written, and two fine trophies. Congratulations.

Awesome write up. Congrats on an incredible trophy!

WOW! What a fine old monarch bull! Oh am I envious of such a grand hunt! You did well sir and thanks for letting us join in!
Hope to get with you some day in Livermore.
Thanks! I’ve been wondering when you would stop in…

Great report and congratulations on your bull. What more would you have done had you stayed the full days? What would you plan if you went back again?

Great report and congratulations on your bull. What more would you have done had you stayed the full days? What would you plan if you went back again?
It was a 14-day ele hunt only with an add on of gemsbok if we had time to transfer to another area. Didn’t see any gemsbok in NG41 but supposedly there are a few but not enough to hunt.

Would I have killed a bigger ele if I hunted longer? Probably not but one never knows. A client of mine, also from CO, killed a 62x59 on day 13 with Ronnie just 10 days before I arrived. Johan and Ronnie had another guy holding out for an 80+ pounder earlier in the season who was unsuccessful and he’s going back in September. I told Johan and Ronnie I wanted to try for a 70+ but would definitely take a 60+ late in the hunt.

I really have no regrets and wouldn’t change a thing. There are a lot of elephant in the area but you have to sort through hundreds of small bulls and broken bulls to find a big one that isn’t broke significantly. The odds are against you but I got lucky and found one on day 3 & 5. I also didn’t want to shoot a really lopsided bull. You see several big lopsided bulls. Another good friend hunted north of Chobe NP and killed a mid 60s bull but could have killed an 80+ with one tusk.

A very fine Bull. I've read several hunt reports from the Calitz hunts over the years. Sounds pretty top notch at getting his clients on to big Elephant.

Congratulations!
Nothing like an experienced PH and a prepared hunter to get the job done.
Very good trophy.

Congratulations on a grand trophy and Happy Fathers Day!

It was a 14-day ele hunt only with an add on of gemsbok if we had time to transfer to another area. Didn’t see any gemsbok in NG41 but supposedly there are a few but not enough to hunt.

Would I have killed a bigger ele if I hunted longer? Probably not but one never knows. A client of mine, also from CO, killed a 62x59 on day 13 with Ronnie just 10 days before I arrived. Johan and Ronnie had another guy holding out for an 80+ pounder earlier in the season who was unsuccessful and he’s going back in September. I told Johan and Ronnie I wanted to try for a 70+ but would definitely take a 60+ late in the hunt.

I really have no regrets and wouldn’t change a thing. There are a lot of elephant in the area but you have to sort through hundreds of small bulls and broken bulls to find a big one that isn’t broke significantly. The odds are against you but I got lucky and found one on day 3 & 5. I also didn’t want to shoot a really lopsided bull. You see several big lopsided bulls. Another good friend hunted north of Chobe NP and killed a mid 60s bull but could have killed an 80+ with one tusk.
@Scott CWO Is Johan optimistic about trophy importation to the US?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.