Bobs gonna disown me for this one.....

Here are the recovered pieces of a Hornady Interlock bullet designed for dangerous game. This Hornady Interlock design even has an internal steel jacket! Bullet impact velocity was approx 2000 fps. Extrapolate the results of a thinner jacketed version this bullet design at a much higher impact velocity as expected from a 243. The results will be: (my experience with the 270 version a long time ago ) a bunch of smaller fragments. :) You pays you money and you takes you chances.... "Interlock"? .... my butt.

View attachment 501785
I shot a pronghorn antelope with my 25-06 using 117 gr SST in factory Hornady Superformance ammunition a couple years ago. 437 yards, almost no wind and at my face. Direct frontal shot through the neck and spine, and I found the remaining bullet lodged along the spine in very similar condition to this. Lead core was still resting on the jacket, but as I picked it up the core fell out and had effectively the same 2 larger pieces you show, none of the fragments found. ... pretty sure I kept the core piece and lost the lead somewhere along the quartering, pack out, or travel back home. Will look when I get home and send pictures if I still have either/both pieces.

It's still been an incredibly effective bullet for whitetail, feral hogs, and antelope and I continue to use that round for my 25-06, and the 150gr version in my .308. But the results of that day do give me a slight pause and concern for anything larger than whitetail.

A fellow that I knew through work was introducing his son to elk hunting. I think his sone was 14 yoa and average build. they decided that a 243 Win with handloads of 95 gr Nosler Partitions was perfect elk medicine. the area they hunted was public land that bordered on private where no hunting was allowed. the son took-up his stand on a trail that led down from the private land. Opening morning shortly after shooting light a spike elk came down the trail out of the private land. The son fired one shot. the elk fell down and was dead by the time the sone got to it.

For the next several months we heard nothing but heckling about how our group was over-gunned (.30-06, 30/338, 300 Win & 300 Wby). How we needlessly destroyed meat and absorbed excessive recoil.

The next year came. The son took his 243 & Nosler bullets to his spot nest to the private land and just like the previous year a spike elk came walking down the trail just after light. Just like the previous year the son fired one shot, but this year the elk dropped to his front knees, then bounced back up and started running. Since it was public land there were other hunters and shots fired. the elk dropped after a run of several dozen yards. the son ran after the elk and when he arrived another hunter had tagged it. the hunter claimed the elk was running and after he shot the elk fell so it was his. an argument ensued between the son, father and the other hunter, but the other hunter claimed the entire elk.

The nest several months we still heard about what great elk medicine the 243 was, but also what a bunch of jerks other hunters were.

The third year was a repeat of the second- shot fired, elk down then up & ran; mores shots and claimed by another hunter. We didn't hear much about the 243 for elk.

The fourth year, the son is now 17, but when he went hunting the 243 stayed at home and he was absorbing the excessive recoil of a 30-06. I transferred to a different area before I heard how the results of the hunt. But if it were me and I had a 243 to use for deer I'd opt for something of larger bore for the bigger animals.

I shot a pronghorn antelope with my 25-06 using 117 gr SST in factory Hornady Superformance ammunition a couple years ago. 437 yards, almost no wind and at my face. Direct frontal shot through the neck and spine, and I found the remaining bullet lodged along the spine in very similar condition to this. Lead core was still resting on the jacket, but as I picked it up the core fell out and had effectively the same 2 larger pieces you show, none of the fragments found. ... pretty sure I kept the core piece and lost the lead somewhere along the quartering, pack out, or travel back home. Will look when I get home and send pictures if I still have either/both pieces.

It's still been an incredibly effective bullet for whitetail, feral hogs, and antelope and I continue to use that round for my 25-06, and the 150gr version in my .308. But the results of that day do give me a slight pause and concern for anything larger than whitetail.
@Tbitty
Love the SST
20211117_164754.jpg

150gn 308 sst taken from an 80 od kilo boar at 70 yards. Thru both gristle pads and lodged under the skin. Only one I have ever retrieved.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen wouldn't disown you, he might have a word with santa and you might expect coal in your stocking for Christmas.
@AZDAVE
I rang @Skinnersblade and gave him a good father son talk. All is forgiven and Santa will be good to him. He has a lovely little 25-20 double rifle being built on a 410 shotgun sxs.
Bob

A fellow that I knew through work was introducing his son to elk hunting. I think his sone was 14 yoa and average build. they decided that a 243 Win with handloads of 95 gr Nosler Partitions was perfect elk medicine. the area they hunted was public land that bordered on private where no hunting was allowed. the son took-up his stand on a trail that led down from the private land. Opening morning shortly after shooting light a spike elk came down the trail out of the private land. The son fired one shot. the elk fell down and was dead by the time the sone got to it.

For the next several months we heard nothing but heckling about how our group was over-gunned (.30-06, 30/338, 300 Win & 300 Wby). How we needlessly destroyed meat and absorbed excessive recoil.

The next year came. The son took his 243 & Nosler bullets to his spot nest to the private land and just like the previous year a spike elk came walking down the trail just after light. Just like the previous year the son fired one shot, but this year the elk dropped to his front knees, then bounced back up and started running. Since it was public land there were other hunters and shots fired. the elk dropped after a run of several dozen yards. the son ran after the elk and when he arrived another hunter had tagged it. the hunter claimed the elk was running and after he shot the elk fell so it was his. an argument ensued between the son, father and the other hunter, but the other hunter claimed the entire elk.

The nest several months we still heard about what great elk medicine the 243 was, but also what a bunch of jerks other hunters were.

The third year was a repeat of the second- shot fired, elk down then up & ran; mores shots and claimed by another hunter. We didn't hear much about the 243 for elk.

The fourth year, the son is now 17, but when he went hunting the 243 stayed at home and he was absorbing the excessive recoil of a 30-06. I transferred to a different area before I heard how the results of the hunt. But if it were me and I had a 243 to use for deer I'd opt for something of larger bore for the bigger animals.
@Ray B
That's typical performance of the 243. Kills once and people rave about it being the best thing to come down the turnpike.
They soon realize its a piece of shit.
After losing 2 fallow dear with one @peter Who now has a nice left hand 243 up for sale. He now has a lovely Remington 700 with a F luted stainless steel barrel in 25-06.
I rest my case your honour.
Bob

My 243 likes the 100 gr Norma Oryx (deer load) and the 58 gr V Max (coyotes) equally well.

My 243 likes the 100 gr Norma Oryx (deer load) and the 58 gr V Max (coyotes) equally well.
Handles both just fine I'm sure.
As for Bob I'm not sure what his problem is.

Handles both just fine I'm sure.
As for Bob I'm not sure what his problem is.
@CBH Australia
I don't have a problem mate I just plain hate the 243. Different bullets for different game and doesn't meet the velocity hype.
Now a 25-06 loaded with a 100gn at 3,400 fps will explode a bunny with a cup and core or load it with a 100gn TTSX at the same speed and trajectory and shoot bigger shit.
One gun, no compromise, no resighting, no bullshit, it does what it claims. Where's the problem. One and done. If you had a good fast 25 you would understand.
I might will yo mine when I die.
Bob

Bob Thanks for the smile, it is nice to know that santa will treat him good.

@Skinnersblade No when you et that little double built I would be very interested in how it shoots and your impression of it. (I have a little 410 double that is just collecting dust)

It’s kind of an interesting story , my gun smith is a good friend of mind and I was browsing through his inventory of used parts one day. I came acrossed a set of barrels that looked like they would match up too my .410 so I bought them for a nominal fee can’t remember exactly what now but less that a case of beer at an rate. The serial numbers on both sets of barrels are only three off on the final number and the other markings indicate they were probably made by the same person.

I took them home and tried them the second set off barrels I bought will already shoot very well with slugs.
CD51216F-E391-4D2F-8DB2-B62C08547E46.jpeg
21C3EF3C-8150-4B18-A372-05E54611722A.jpeg
51C03BE7-4A33-4110-8A88-2C9F3DA1CB9D.jpeg

With the cross hairs on the centre of the black mark I can keep them within six inches 3” either way at 75 yards. My gunsmith is going to turn me a pair of full length inserts when he’s recovered from the shingles and I’m hoping the accuracy will vary over.

Bob Thanks for the smile, it is nice to know that santa will treat him good.

@Skinnersblade No when you et that little double built I would be very interested in how it shoots and your impression of it. (I have a little 410 double that is just collecting dust)

My oldest brother has taken well over 100 whitetail with a carbine 243 when we hunted whitetails with hounds. He loves that gun even though it would be hard pressed to shoot 2.5” groups lol. Me personally never been a big fan of the caliber, and I believe the 25’s kill better without hardly any extra recoil. I personally would like to acquire a 257 Roberts for my daughters first rifle. Due to availability she will probably end up with one of the various 6.5’s I’ve owned though. I’ve seen what the 243 can do in the hands of a skilled shooter, but me personally I’d prefer a bit more bullet weight.

A lot of deer have died to 100 grain cup and cores out of a 243. There may be better options sure, but I would not worry.
I have used cup & core bullets a lot with great results. I think where people find them lacking is when velocity is too high. I believe they were designed when few ctgs. got 3000fps or more. I believe & have seen in the game field cup & core bullets preform beautifully when velocites are in the 2500fps to 2900fps use them within this velocity range & I think you'll find them perfectly suitable. I also feel the old Rem. Core lockt is one of the better hunting bullets.
Use a bullet weight that matches the game hunted & you'll avoid a LOT of problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShelbyFogg

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross