Bob Nelson convinced me - 35 Whelen

Never been a fan of magnum cartridges I like 5 rounds available should I need them. Of course I have never needed them but I like knowing I have them if the SHTF.
That's what a five round detachable magazine is for! Ha! Ha!

My .35 Whelen build has stalled for a number of reasons. I hope to get it back on track soon.
Uh oh! Because you've seen the .338WM light coming through the tunnel? Ha! Ha!

Then what should I do with the one for my Browning A Bolt .338WM? Actually, I have two three rounders.
Polish them up nicely round up all of your components and dies and trade them in on a .35 Whalen. There’s really no other answer.

Over the last 5 years or so I have bought several Sportsman 78 rifles to be used for donor actions. One has already been converted to a 280 Ackley Improved. The above rifle will be rebarrelled and restocked as a 35 Whelen. As you can see, I found a jug of Bob's favorite, CFE223. I have the brass and will buy more this morning. I found the appropriate bullets in an estate and the used dies at a gun store. The wood will be sent to Richards microfit and carved into the 102 classic style.View attachment 396422

I thought Bob would like to know I'm moving forward.View attachment 396423
If you found a decent Sportsman 78 in .30-06, would it be worth reboring to 9.3x62? The more I think about that caliber, the more I'm tempted.

I don't know a thing about the 9.3 x 64 other than what I catch in passing on here. However, why not? Fooling with guns is always fun.
Ive been watching gunbroker and as we all know, prices of everything have shot up this last year. I think I bought my last 78 for 260 plus shipping. Now they are much more.

I don't know a thing about the 9.3 x 64 other than what I catch in passing on here. However, why not? Fooling with guns is always fun.
Ive been watching gunbroker and as we all know, prices of everything have shot up this last year. I think I bought my last 78 for 260 plus shipping. Now they are much more.
I think the 9.3x62 is called the poor man's .375 H&H. Building one on a Sportsman 78 would be fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what a five round detachable magazine is for! Ha! Ha!
By detachable you mean loseable and not further usable...right?
I cant stand with you on the detachable magazine @CoElkHunter
I haven't needed one for my 7400 yet while hunting. It's only lovely for easy unloading. Most hunting rifles make too much noise for more than a few follow up shots. I do not support any government telling anyone how many rounds they can have available at any given time. Especially when they abandon belt fed weapons...
I saw you were saying x64 and the other guy was saying x62. I am sure you are aware that the 62 is the more common variety of the two. The 64 would be neat as it would be more powerful by a bit than the 62, but no cheap bullet supply like the .35.

Well the gun is 98% complete. The barrel will be cerakoted, maybe dark grey. I have been working on load development and am closing in on a load. In 3 weeks we will be in Africa.
The stock? Originally I had walnut planned and had it carved out by Richards Microfit in a classic style. When it came back I decided I wanted the walnut on another rifle and bought this laminated instead. Normally I'm not a fan of the laminated stocks but this one has grown on me. Three colors to represent the 3 primary voices who lent their time or support, @Bob Nelson 35Whelen , my gunsmith Chuck, and me.
I have it with me as I patrol the woods today. I've been slaying evil rocks and stumps from various shooting positions. We seem to be getting along well. I hope to post some Africa hunting photos with the rifle as soon as I return home from the Eastern Cape.
20220305_103137_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Well the gun is 98% complete. The barrel will be cerakoted, maybe dark grey. I have been working on load development and am closing in on a load. In 3 weeks will be in Africa.
The stock? Originally I had walnut planned and had it carved out by Richards Microfit in a classic style. When I it came back I decided I wanted the walnut on another rifle and bought this laminated instead. Normally I'm not a fan of the laminated stocks but this one has grown on me. Three colors to represent the 3 primary voices who lent their time or support, @Bob Nelson 35Whelen , my gunsmith Chuck, and me.
I have it with me as I patrol the woods today. I've been slaying evil rocks and stumps from various shooting positions. We seem to be getting along well. I hope to post some Africa hunting photos with the rifle as soon as I return home from the Eastern Cape.
View attachment 455790
That is a pretty piece of wood. I like the green laminates on my rifles.

Thank you. There are some kinks yet to work out but felt close enough to "finished" to finally post a picture.

Well the gun is 98% complete. The barrel will be cerakoted, maybe dark grey. I have been working on load development and am closing in on a load. In 3 weeks we will be in Africa.
The stock? Originally I had walnut planned and had it carved out by Richards Microfit in a classic style. When it came back I decided I wanted the walnut on another rifle and bought this laminated instead. Normally I'm not a fan of the laminated stocks but this one has grown on me. Three colors to represent the 3 primary voices who lent their time or support, @Bob Nelson 35Whelen , my gunsmith Chuck, and me.
View attachment 455790
That looks really nice in the tri-colors especially with the green dominating.

I just received a rosewood laminate stock from Richards Microfit and it is a pinker than I expected. I'll how that turns out after I finish sanding it, sealing it, and the applying a finish.

Hey that’s nice. What are you finding it likes to be fed?

I think I mentioned in another post that we are sorting this out. I've been getting high pressure at starting loads. Smashing the snot out of primers, but without sticky bolt lift.
We have checked headspace and about everything that can be measured or poked to no avail.
At the moment, I'm charging 62.o grains of CFE223 and getting just under 2900 fps.
20220131_114648_HDR(1).jpg
20220131_114746(1).jpg

View attachment 455790
@hunting Gold
Mate that looks really shit hot. Absolutely beautiful.
What load have you settled on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg